What about these potential lines?

member 300185

I was just here watching Captain America stupid soldier and started thinking about other line possibilities. I'm going to just throw this at you. Please dont be too hard on me. Just making some summer talk to pass the time until training camp.

My main premise is moving Nylander to the 3rd line centre position and bumping Kadri to the fourth. The first 2 lines get equal minutes. The 3rd and fourth line get equal minutes.

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen

Johnson-Tavares-Marner

Leivo-Nylander-Brown

Hyman-Kadri-Grundstrom

So you thought we had amazing centre depth before. Imagine Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Kadri as your centers? Kadri on the 4th line would eat up other 4th lines for sure. With Hyman and Grundstom on the wing, that would be a nasty nasty line to play against.

Kapanen on the first line is not much off what Nylander brings. They are very similar players and Kappy is a star in the making and we all know how clutch he is. And Kappy is probably the fastest guy in the NHL. It would be a tossup between him and Larkin.

Johnson is going to be on the team for sure this season, just at what position? He would make and excellent fit with JT and Marner.

Leivo finally gets his shot at wing with Willy centering and Brown on the other wing. Brown and Leivo should be good for 15 to 20 goals each with Willy and his creative genius between them.

Hyman, Kadri and Grundstom would be hell to play against and all 3 could put up career numbers.

You can put big boy Engvall (6'5), Korshkov (6'4), Chebykin (6'4) as your spares with a look at Ennis, Gauthier, and Brooks getting some call ups during the season.

Tell me what you think. Would you do it? If you would, how would you break down the minutes to make everyone happy? And do you get excited with the potential of Hyman, Kadri and Grundstom on your 4th line?

Also, you could start every line as the first line every game. Imagine Marleau, Matthews and Kapanen going up against another teams fourth line? With these lines, the other teams wouldn't get the puck much and our D corp will be fine the way it is with Rosen, Lillegrin, Holl and whoever else waiting for their turn.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I was just here watching Captain America stupid soldier and started thinking about other line possibilities. I'm going to just throw this at you. Please dont be too hard on me. Just making some summer talk to pass the time until training camp.

My main premise is moving Nylander to the 3rd line centre position and bumping Kadri to the fourth. The first 2 lines get equal minutes. The 3rd and fourth line get equal minutes.

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen

Johnson-Tavares-Marner

Leivo-Nylander-Brown

Hyman-Kadri-Grundstrom

Grund needs a year in the AHL. Zero chance Hyman plays on the fourth line. We don't have enough minutes for Matthews, Tavares and Kadri with a low end 4C. There would be even less with Nylander also at C. There is such a thing as diminishing returns. I think the Leafs are already there with MTK and a fourth liner getting minutes. With MTKN it is long past that. Kapanen is probably way, way off what Nylander bring to the first line. Tavares wants to play with a player like Hyman. A lot of fans seem to be completely unaware of what Hyman brings. Tavares is aware.

Brown and Leivo should be good for 15 to 20 goals each with Willy and his creative genius between them.

They are going to score 15 - 2o goals each playing how many minutes a game?

Also, you could start every line as the first line every game. Imagine Marleau, Matthews and Kapanen going up against another teams fourth line?

That is just not going to happen. Even if the Leafs are at home, the other team would simply have their fourth liners get off the ice very quickly. And what is Babs going to do, try to match Matthews against the other teams' fourth line by playing them the same 6 minutes at ES that the other team is going to play them?

With these lines, the other teams wouldn't get the puck much

I mean I understand that people are excited about the Leafs forwards this year, but it is not that different from last year. I mean 9 of the 12 are the same as last year when they had Johnsson in the line up (with the three additions being Tavares, Leivo and Grundstrom). I seem to remember the other team having the puck plenty.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I like these lines better...

Who Cares - Matthews - Nylander/Marner
Who Cares - Tavares - Nylander/Marner
Who Cares - Kadri - Who Cares
Who Cares - Who Cares - Who Cares
Leivo

With the talent we have it's kind of difficult to screw it up

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Just to go off the Matthews - Kappy , and 3rd Line C Willy idea ... how about:

Kadri - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson
Ennis - Goat - Brown

First line gets the tough matchups and is a heavy cycle line. 2nd Line is our skilled offence line, 3rd line sheltered, offensive speedy line

Reactions: NovaLeaf

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If the first 2 lines get equal minutes, that has to be AT LEAST 18 mpg each. Only leaves 12 mpg for the Kadri and Nylander lines. Waste of their talents IMO.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
This is what i'm thinking

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo/Jooris - Lindholm - Brown
Leivo/Jooris/Ennis

First call ups ; wingers; -) Grundstrom, Marchment, Engvall, Moore
Center -) Goat, Brooks

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is what i'm thinking

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis/Leivo/Jooris - Lindholm - Brown
Leivo/Jooris/Ennis

First call ups ; wingers; -) Grundstrom, Marchment, Engvall, Moore
Center -) Goat, Brooks
You already got it right sire. Babcock already said these lines too and we'll go with these. All season long and win win win. All in. These lines is the best. You know ice hockey. There is no other lines. Babcock has said these first two lines 100 % guaranteed and he stays that. He knows ice hockey too. We will win hockey games. Look at these fool lines. Kadri line will kill too. Just like Gilmour did during his days. Kadri's one of our most importantte ones. He finna get on that ass.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
you'd run into serious diminishing returns trying to roll 4 balanced lines, there would only be an average of about 12-13 ES minutes per line where Matthews & Tavares usually get more than 15 per night and Kadri is 14-15, so to roll 4 balanced lines you need to cannibalize their ice time or leave like 4-5 ES minutes for one of those lines. Either way, you get left with talented players playing diminished roles

Stack up 3 lines and play the 4th line very little at ES:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson/Kapanen/Leivo - Kadri - Kapanen/Leivo/Brown
Johnson/Kapanen/Leivo - Lindholm - Kapanen/Leivo/Brown

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Not enough minutes to go around.

You need multiple talents playing together for it to be efficient. For example, every 5v5 minute Nylander plays, Tavares/Matthews/Kadri have to sit on the bench. This is a waste.

It's best to play the team's stars as duos (Matthews + Nylander/Tavares + Marner). Kadri will get to play a huge chunk of the remaining 5v5 minutes.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we have a chance to create the 2 best offensive lines in the nhl, matthews and nylander with whoever, and tavares and marner with whoever is as good as any line out there...and then kadri is best 3rd line center in nhl, we're gonna have some scary offense so i wouldnt mess around with it too much

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
imo ...I prefer the Tavares, Matthews and Kadri lines to be stacked and get a lot of minutes ... i'm good with the 4th line only getting 8-10 minutes a game.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander

Brown-Tavares-Marner

Marleau-Kadri-K.K

Ennis-GOAT-A.J to start season he will move up in the line up

Babs like a work horse on everyline ,

Hyman/Brown/K.K/GOAT

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen

Johnson-Tavares-Marner

Leivo-Nylander-Brown

Hyman-Kadri-Grundstrom

So you thought we had amazing centre depth before. Imagine Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Kadri as your centers? Kadri on the 4th line would eat up other 4th lines for sure. With Hyman and Grundstom on the wing, that would be a nasty nasty line to play against.

Kapanen on the first line is not much off what Nylander brings. They are very similar players and Kappy is a star in the making and we all know how clutch he is. And Kappy is probably the fastest guy in the NHL. It would be a tossup between him and Larkin.

Johnson is going to be on the team for sure this season, just at what position? He would make and excellent fit with JT and Marner.

Leivo finally gets his shot at wing with Willy centering and Brown on the other wing. Brown and Leivo should be good for 15 to 20 goals each with Willy and his creative genius between them.

Hyman, Kadri and Grundstom would be hell to play against and all 3 could put up career numbers.

You can put big boy Engvall (6'5), Korshkov (6'4), Chebykin (6'4) as your spares with a look at Ennis, Gauthier, and Brooks getting some call ups during the season.

Tell me what you think. Would you do it? If you would, how would you break down the minutes to make everyone happy? And do you get excited with the potential of Hyman, Kadri and Grundstom on your 4th line?

Also, you could start every line as the first line every game. Imagine Marleau, Matthews and Kapanen going up against another teams fourth line? With these lines, the other teams wouldn't get the puck much and our D corp will be fine the way it is with Rosen, Lillegrin, Holl and whoever else waiting for their turn.

4th line should get minimal minutes this year, they would want Nylander on the ice more than that.
Most likely he will not play Center, he certainly won't center a line that will play ahead of Kadri.

Your lines don't seem very realistic.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Just to go off the Matthews - Kappy , and 3rd Line C Willy idea ... how about:

Kadri - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson
Ennis - Goat - Brown

First line gets the tough matchups and is a heavy cycle line. 2nd Line is our skilled offence line, 3rd line sheltered, offensive speedy line
Kadri as a winger over Willy....NO thanks.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I want to see Hyman on the RW, he seems to play better there.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Ennis/Kapanen/Brown/Jooris-Lindholm/Jooris-Kapanen/Brown

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Hainsey
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen

Johnson-Tavares-Marner

Leivo-Nylander-Brown

Hyman-Kadri-Grundstrom
Batman is still the best I think.

The lines are deep. However, Babcock does not seem to want to do that. Last season, there was Bozak at center and Leivo in the press box. They could have made the same shift last season, but Babcock likes to play his 4th line the fewest minutes.

Nylander at 4th line center more like it. LoL. You just don't put a guy who scored two 30 goal seasons back to back on the 4th line. I still want to see Nylander at center.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If kadri were to be on a 4th line it wouldnt be for the leafs. Maybe in 7-8 yrs when he slows down and is close to retirement. We would deal kadri for a defender than keep him as the 4th line center. Also nylander is not a center right now. Babcock does not play him at that position and has no need with three better centers who can au the res assigned. Keep nylander-matthews duo and Tavares-marner duo. Have kadri play with 2 of brown/hyman/kappy/johnsson/Marleau and give him 1st pp usage over nylander.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
MARLEAU - MATTHEWS - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
JOHNSSON - - - KADRI - - - KAPANEN
JOORIS/LEIVO - LINDHOLM - BROWN
GAUTHIER

RIELLY - - - - ZAITSEV
GARDINER - HAINSEY
DERMOTT - CARRICK
BORGMAN

ANDERSEN
McBACKUP​

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
[...]

With the talent we have it's kind of difficult to screw it up

I totally agree with you. And yet, we have a few posts in this thread that seem to be trying to screw it up.

Kadri on the wing? Marleau out of the top 6? Hyman on the 4th line? Gauthier on the team? None of those things will happen.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think the possibility of Nylander becoming a full-time centre ended with the signing of Tavares. With that, I think Leivo and Grundstrom in the starting lineup is an either/or (and perhaps a neither if Ennis impresses), with Lindholm (maybe Jooris) as the 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad