What about Parise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Jul 8, 2004
Montreal
What about Parise? And Carter?

What do you think about Parise, does he have a great potentiel what type of guy is?

And the same thing for Jeff Carter

and finally if you have the choice what you takes Carter or Parise?

Thansk!

Stanger31

Apr 6, 2003
St. Albert
I would take Carter, I see him as turning out like Joe Thornton. I like his skating and his ability to see the game. He should keep filling out from his more slender frame that he had when he was drafted.
Parise scares me for one big reason-Size. I know you don't HAVE to be big to make it in the NHL, but it sure helps. I just feel it will be to easy for teams to key on him and take him out of the play. There is no doubt he is highly skilled, but I personally feel that Carter is more skilled, bigger and a very good skater.
Therefore in my opinion, I'd take Carter, although if I had either on my fantasy team i wouldn't be unhappy-though i'd try and trade Parise for a good price to a guy that really liked him. As Parise's value is very high with his fans, and much lower with people that aren't fans and neutral to him.

Stanger31

Apr 6, 2003
St. Albert
And he played for Sault Ste. Marie (Soo Greyhounds) in the OHL, and he played a few games in the AHL playoffs with the Philadelphia Phantoms.

Clancy

May 15, 2004
South Jersey
Carter- I see him as a bigger version of Gagne in terms of his skating, very smooth and fast. He bulked up to near 200 pounds so I think he is definately NHL-ready should there be a season.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Parise is 5'11". Thats not as small as you'd think, Markus Naslund is 5'11" do people doubt him because he's small? I simply don't think Parise will be as limited by his size as many people seem to believe, and even so it was shown just this year that size may not matter as much as people think with Martin St. Louis putting up great numbers.

I'm not voting for either, just stating an opinion.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
MissionHockey said:
Parise is 5'11". Thats not as small as you'd think, Markus Naslund is 5'11" do people doubt him because he's small? I simply don't think Parise will be as limited by his size as many people seem to believe, and even so it was shown just this year that size may not matter as much as people think with Martin St. Louis putting up great numbers.

I'm not voting for either, just stating an opinion.

First off, Naslund is much more talented than Parise...so comapring him sizewise doesnt really show anything. Add tell me, outside of St. Louis this past season, and Theo Fleury in the past, how many 'small' players have ever had great success.....I think he'll be a solid 2nd line center putting up around 60 points a year...you should definately be happy with that.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Chaos said:
First off, Naslund is much more talented than Parise...so comapring him sizewise doesnt really show anything. Add tell me, outside of St. Louis this past season, and Theo Fleury in the past, how many 'small' players have ever had great success.....I think he'll be a solid 2nd line center putting up around 60 points a year...you should definately be happy with that.
I haven't seen Parise play much, and unless you have CStv its likely you haven't either. However all the reports I've heard is that he is more talented than Gomez, and I don't think Gomez has hit his ceiling just yet. Its hard for me to judge talent from reports on these boards, but if he does turn out to be better than Scott 75+ points isn't out of question.

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
I have seen him play alot in person and on tv. He is the real deal. Im not sure if he will take some time to adapt but he will be good.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Parise is #1 center material. Great offense, even better defense, and a leader. 5'11 may sound small, but size is just a number. To quote David Hale:

Q: How does it feel to have Zach Parise, your former teammate at North Dakota, join the Devils' organization? Have you spoken to him since he was drafted/signed? What can you tell us about his game?

A: I like the idea that the Devils look at the University of North Dakota hockey program and the players from there, especially Zach, because he is a top-quality player and I believe he can play at the NHL level really soon. Whatever level of hockey he steps into, he can raise his game to that level and never seems to dip down to a lesser level. Zach and I do keep in touch. When he signed with the team towards the end of the regular season, he came out to New Jersey and we went out to dinner. He seemed really excited and very nervous, but I think everyone is nervous when they first sign. Zach is a very skilled forward with an extremely accurate shot. He is deceivingly tough and strong in the corners. I can remember in college, he would shake guys off that weren't expecting his strength. That really helps him create space.

Zach Parise is the next American star. John Madden is Parise's size, is Madden small?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
DownFromNJ said:
Parise is #1 center material. Great offense, even better defense, and a leader. 5'11 may sound small, but size is just a number. To quote David Hale:

Zach Parise is the next American star. John Madden is Parise's size, is Madden small?

Of course his former(and now current) teammate is gonna say great things about him...do you really expect a teammate to say he is a no talent stiff or something? As for the size comparison..Madden put up 2 great college seasons as well, and then put up a 98 point AHL season...whose to say Parise wont end up like him? The fact is, he's a prospect, and like 99.9% of prospects, you can never be sure what they will turn out like.

CH Wizard

Chaos said:
Of course his former(and now current) teammate is gonna say great things about him...do you really expect a teammate to say he is a no talent stiff or something? As for the size comparison..Madden put up 2 great college seasons as well, and then put up a 98 point AHL season...whose to say Parise wont end up like him? The fact is, he's a prospect, and like 99.9% of prospects, you can never be sure what they will turn out like.

Yep great post.Look at Alexandre Daigle this guy was like the ''Crosby of today''.People were saying why not trade half of our team for him.Look now where's ,He was projected to be the next Mario Lemieux.Well prospects are HUMAN they can be nervous or without confidence ( or he has too much pressure on him).Daigle told to the media it was the pressure.I can give you another exemple ''Marcel Hossa'' he didn't reponded yet.He has confidence problems , he don't beleive in him ( but I am pretty sure next year if there's a season , he gonna suprise a lot of people).

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Chaos said:
Well apparently say theres a pretty big difference in talent between John Madden and Zach Parise, Madden wasn't even drafted and Parise was projected to be a top ten pick. Besides, Elias never put up more than 70 points in the ahl, does that mean Madden should have been better than Elias?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
MissionHockey said:
Well apparently say theres a pretty big difference in talent between John Madden and Zach Parise, Madden wasn't even drafted and Parise was projected to be a top ten pick. Besides, Elias never put up more than 70 points in the ahl, does that mean Madden should have been better than Elias?

And Martin St. Louis wasnt drafted at all..and Daigle was drafted #1 overall..and Demitra was drafted in the 8th round and Datsyuk was drafted in the 6th round.....draft position isnt nearly as important..."he was projected as a top 10 pick"....good for him..doesnt mean as much to me as it is to you, obviously. As for the Elias part...who knows...perhaps Madden's talent that got him a 98 point season in the AHL just didnt translate to the NHL...And Elias/Madden situation in the AHL are totally different...Elias put up 63 points in his 1st season in NA as a 20 year old, and followed it up with 67 points(in 57 games) as a 21 year old. But obviously, arguing with a NJ fan over Parise wont get anywhere, because one side isnt as biased as the other.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I'm not comparing John Madden to Zach Parise. They are incredibly different types of players.

Parise will not turn out like a Daigle for a couple of reasons. First, the New Jersey Devils have about as good of a track record with prospects as they come. Second, Zach Parise doesn't show any of the alarms that go off with a prospect that isn't going to be a great NHLer. To quote tsn.ca:

Assets Is a supremely intelligent player. Never stops hustling and possesses the heart of a winner.

He's not lazy like Daigle. What are his weaknesses?

Needs to prove he can play his game in the pro ranks. Must add more physical strength in order to survive up the ladder.

So he's weak because he hasn't played pro yet and he is small. Well, this was written almost a year ago (prior to last NHL season). Since then, Parise has put on weight (he's actually about John Madden's weight now), and had a great year at UND. The only sour point I've ever heard a single person mention about Parise is his size. John Madden is 5'11" 190 pounds at age 31 and he doesn't get pushed around. Zach Parise is 5'11" 186 pounds at age 19 and won't get pushed around.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
DownFromNJ said:
I'm not comparing John Madden to Zach Parise. They are incredibly different types of players.

Parise will not turn out like a Daigle for a couple of reasons. First, the New Jersey Devils have about as good of a track record with prospects as they come. Second, Zach Parise doesn't show any of the alarms that go off with a prospect that isn't going to be a great NHLer. To quote tsn.ca:

He's not lazy like Daigle. What are his weaknesses?

So he's weak because he hasn't played pro yet and he is small. Well, this was written almost a year ago (prior to last NHL season). Since then, Parise has put on weight (he's actually about John Madden's weight now), and had a great year at UND. The only sour point I've ever heard a single person mention about Parise is his size. John Madden is 5'11" 190 pounds at age 31 and he doesn't get pushed around. Zach Parise is 5'11" 186 pounds at age 19 and won't get pushed around.

I'll give you the fact that NJ has a great track record with prospects.....doesnt mean anything here. How can you be so sure Parise wont get pushed around? You see the future?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
No, I can't be sure. But in terms of prospects, Parise is golden.

You can't argue with results. Parise produces results year after year despite his stature.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
DownFromNJ said:
No, I can't be sure. But in terms of prospects, Parise is golden.

You can't argue with results. Parise produces results year after year despite his stature.

And some people dont think that production will continue into the NHL, and some(mostly NJ fans) do....just have to wait to see whose right.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
DownFromNJ said:
John Madden is 5'11" 190 pounds at age 31 and he doesn't get pushed around. Zach Parise is 5'11" 186 pounds at age 19 and won't get pushed around.

Not to mention Steve Yzerman is also 5'11" and he's played 20 years in the NHL, mostly because he's smart enough to avoid punishing hits. I could see Parise being the same way (no, I'm not saying he'll have a career like Yzerman's).

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
IMO Parisé is one of the most overated prospect. Don't get me wrong, he will be good, ut I don't see in him a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->