What about O'Reilly on a wing?

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
We have a (positive) trouble with the C situation, and before the worlds, a wide majority was up to trade Satstny. But since the beginning of the WC, Paul is showing us that he is still a great offensive player when is given proper wingers, ice time and offensive responsabilities.

Personnaly I love this player, and I don't want him to leave Denver. So here came something: Could O'Money play on the wing? If so, could you imagine a line Landy-Stastny-O'Reilly. Would be great on offense, and it would be a hell of a line on defence.

What do you think? Is it a possibility or is it stupid, (tell me why please, i'm looking to enlarge my hockey IQ :nod: )

Thnaks for the answers ;)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
O'Reilly is much better at center. Moving him to wing is a waste of his skill/talent.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We have a (positive) trouble with the C situation, and before the worlds, a wide majority was up to trade Satstny. But since the beginning of the WC, Paul is showing us that he is still a great offensive player when is given proper wingers, ice time and offensive responsabilities.

Personnaly I love this player, and I don't want him to leave Denver. So here came something: Could O'Money play on the wing? If so, could you imagine a line Landy-Stastny-O'Reilly. Would be great on offense, and it would be a hell of a line on defence.

What do you think? Is it a possibility or is it stupid, (tell me why please, i'm looking to enlarge my hockey IQ :nod: )

Thnaks for the answers ;)

I think it would work in a pinch (Hes playing on J. Staal's wing now in the Worlds), however I'd rather just trade O'Reilly for someone like Ryan if it's clear keeping all three at center won't work long term.

His defensive ability is wasted on the wing like others have said in the Worlds thread. (Where this has been thrown out before)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I would like it as much as I liked Duchene on wing.

Just because ROR played well on wing for a couple of games doesn't mean he should play full time. It will restrict his overall game.

So, Stastny is having a good tournament with Smith and Moss against subpar opposition. Are smith and Moss really much better than the wingers the avs have given him? Is Stastny having a great tournament because the opposition is weak or is it that he cares for the shirt he's wearing? Either way it doesn't benefit the avs in any way.

Avalanche France

Oct 20, 2009
Bailly, France
Careful...don't call him O'Money. The only one you are able to gently chide with a nickname is Casper.

Still have not digested the "contract war". Until he brings on the table the equivalent of the paycheck, I won't stop calling him that way.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great player with a lot of potential. But no way he deserves a 6.5M year. He forced the way and stab the team for money. I won't forget that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you move staz or Radar to the wing our third line becomes a joke where we waste a capable top 6er, be it McPing or Downie. We're much better off keeping dutchy with pap, radar with landy, and having staz on the third line with McPing, Downie, Jones, Sgar, etc. filtering around those pieces.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Either way it doesn't benefit the avs in any way.

Sure it does.

1) It increases his trade value, even if just a small bit.

2) It perhaps gets his head mentally back into the game. Paul has not had much positive to think about in the last 2 years or so and a strong showing, even if against weak opposition, can help. Oh, and yes Paul, you can score as you have seen here, so shoot the damned puck...

3) It gets the Stastny name back into the news. From a PR prospective, Stastny doing well playing for Team USA helps the Avs. It also probably locks Paul in for team USA in the Olympics, probably once again as the top line center and maybe even captain? Maybe the Avs actually get something out of the Olympics as a far of result of this tourney.

Is Paul going to come back as Crosby...no....but a good showing here could be a good thing for the Avs in any number of ways depending on how the Avs move forward with him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
O'Reilly's the most natural center we've got on the whole roster

Weird statement... How is he a more 'natural' center than either of Duchene or Stastny?

I will say this... O'Reilly is the LEAST offensively talented center we've got on the whole roster. They need to lock them all up, and then give O'Reilly the defensive assignments that he has made a name for himself being so good at in the first place.

Playing one of our centers at wing won't happen on a consistent basis but it could happen in certain situations.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Still have not digested the "contract war". Until he brings on the table the equivalent of the paycheck, I won't stop calling him that way.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great player with a lot of potential. But no way he deserves a 6.5M year. He forced the way and stab the team for money. I won't forget that.

It's a business. The Avs didn't offer him the 6.5m for next year, the "genius" who is running the Flames did. And at the end of the day, with all the changes in the Front Office, I have a gut feeling that O'Reilly will be sticking around, and he'll get what he wanted from the beginning, which was a longer-term deal with an AAV at around 5m (which is what his AAV is currently by the way).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It's a business. The Avs didn't offer him the 6.5m for next year, the "genius" who is running the Flames did. And at the end of the day, with all the changes in the Front Office, I have a gut feeling that O'Reilly will be sticking around, and he'll get what he wanted from the beginning, which was a longer-term deal with an AAV at around 5m (which is what his AAV is currently by the way).

I hope the bad blood doesn't taint contract negotiations. Considering how bitter negotiations got I can't see how they would negotiate what will likely be a very similar contract less than a year later.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I agree. O'Reilly seems like the ideal third line centerman that a Stanley Cup contending roster would have, but the math wouldn't add up anymore cap wise, unfortunately.

I disagree, ROR is more than capable of being the #2 guy. Duchene seems to be the clear cut #1 and I think Staz could play on the wing of either.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
Weird statement... How is he a more 'natural' center than either of Duchene or Stastny?

I will say this... O'Reilly is the LEAST offensively talented center we've got on the whole roster. They need to lock them all up, and then give O'Reilly the defensive assignments that he has made a name for himself being so good at in the first place.

Playing one of our centers at wing won't happen on a consistent basis but it could happen in certain situations.

I feel that with the right linemates, O'Reilly's offensive output could be as good as Stastny's. We'll see what happens with a new coach, but over the last year O'Reilly has definitely put himself in the #2 position.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I feel that with the right linemates, O'Reilly's offensive output could be as good as Stastny's. We'll see what happens with a new coach, but over the last year O'Reilly has definitely put himself in the #2 position.

To be fair to O'Reilly, his offensive production has been up there with Stastny for the last couple seasons.

I have a hard time imagining O'Reilly ever putting up close to point per game numbers. I still however believe that with a goal scorer next to him, Stastny can.

We really need to be knocking on Buffalo's door asking about Vanek if he really is available.

Duchene - Parenteau

O'Reilly - Landeskog

Stastny - Vanek

That would be amazing, and you'd have to give O'Reilly & Landeskog the shutdown responsibilities. The luxury with those two is that they can be a shutdown pair and still provide offense because of the way they play the game.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Pairing him with Lando and Downie on the 2nd line + a full camp/season should put O'Reilly back on the 60 point per track, which is what the modern NHL 2nd line center strives for on most teams. And there is no way you can have that combo of players and call it your third line.

That leaves your top line of PA-Duchene and someone else.... The problem is that Stastny does not fit that lines need out of their 3rd player. The other winger needs to be a hungry guy with decent speed and a willingness to play gritty and a little physical. This does not need to be a power forward...but at the least an energy guy with above average skill.

Putting Stastny on the third line, which is a waste of money and his talent. Thus, I really think it is best to try and trade Stastny if the Avs intend on keeping O'Reilly around. If O'Reilly had been a bit more of a team player for 2-3 more years, willing to be the good soldier and play 3rd line shutdown guy, it might have worked with the 3 centers...but its at or near the point where you have to decide one way or another between them IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad