What about C Henrik Borgström, where does he fit in next season?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Play him with Kane..

Kane made Michal f***ing Handzus look decent out there for God's sake...

may very well be the best place for him and you know if the line of Cat-?-Kane continues to get O zone starts then the line gets sheltered, may want to just plunk him there and see how he works in that spot. The only other scenario I see him playing C (3rd line) is if Toews returns, one of Toews/Dach Centre Kane and TJ plays 4th line C...

Cat-Borgstrom-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Hagel
Gaudette/Nylander-Dach-Kurashev
Gaudette/Nylander-Johnson-Carpenter/JK

Cat-Toews-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-Gaudette/Nylander
Hagel-Borgstrom-Kurashev
Gaudette/Nylander-Johnson- Carpenter/JK

Reactions: AmericanDream

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I'm keeping my expectations very low here.....not totally excited about the 1 way contract in this case.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And did make Anisimov score 20+ a season
This is again truth!!!

Borgstrom is 6'4 with soft hands, can skate pretty decently out there- I honestly can't see a better starting spot for him to earn than with Kane if the Hawks really want to give him that chance. Up to the kid to earn it, but his skillset could work really well with Kane as like you just pointed out, plugs have produced with Kaner the past decade and this kid at least has some upside here offensively.

We need 1-2 of these wild card younger players to really stand out for us this year..

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I'm keeping my expectations very low here.....not totally excited about the 1 way contract in this case.

the one way or 2 way means he will be paid the same in the NHL and AHL? 2 way contracts after ELC are generally for super fringe NHL players. IE were you are 90% sure they are only going to be AHL. he is not waiver exempt, there is no way he would clear waivers at least at the start of the year. the only thing the 1 way or 2 way effects is Wirtz paying his full saalry in the AHL. he would not count against Cap space ETC.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
We need 1-2 of these wild cards younger players to really stand out for us this year.

Yeah, we do. 2 out of Borgstrom, Nylander and Gaudette should be the bar. Expecting Kurashev to take a step forward too.

Will be interesting to see if Hagel can take a step, given that he shot out of a cannon last season. I'd definitely "settle" for a similar performance.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This is again truth!!!

Borgstrom is 6'4 with soft hands, can skate pretty decently out there- I honestly can't see a better starting spot for him to earn than with Kane if the Hawks really want to give him that chance. Up to the kid to earn it, but his skillset could work really well with Kane as like you just pointed out, plugs have produced with Kaner the past decade and this kid at least has some upside here offensively.

We need 1-2 of these wild card younger players to really stand out for us this year..
Kubalik-Toews-Strome
DeBrincat-Borgstrom-Kane
Kurashev-Dach-Nylander
Hagel-Johnson-Carpenter

Would you have the lines look something like this?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kubalik-Toews-Strome
DeBrincat-Borgstrom-Kane
Kurashev-Dach-Nylander
Hagel-Johnson-Carpenter

That's dumb.
Johnson 4th line C? lol no.

Borgstrom will start on the wing most likely, unless Toews isn't a go, then he'll be the 3rd line C to start.

Reactions: Pez68

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Middle six, not sure if at wing or center; we have a lot of guys who can play down the middle already.

I like a lot about Borgstrom. Tall guy with a long reach. Good hands for his size. Skating is NHL quality. But one thing I keep thinking about is Panthers fans saying he was slow mentally for them. Hopefully he's improved in that regard and can be at least a real solid middle sixer for his career.
I hope this wasn't the problem because Liiga isn't very fast or high quality league which you need to improve that.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Play him with Kane..

Kane made Michal f***ing Handzus look decent out there for God's sake...
Handzus is still best center Kane has had because Zeus went in places where Kane won't go. D-zone, front of the goal and in the corner, there was Handzus.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I hope this wasn't the problem because Liiga isn't very fast or high quality league which you need to improve that.
It was more in regards to his time as a Florida Panther. He may have just not been ready for the NHL at that time.

He had an injury this past season and took a bit of time to get going, but I do know that by year's end, his Liiga coach had plenty of nice things to say (might've even called him their best forward, though I don't remember for certain).

Reactions: Pertti

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And did make Anisimov score 20+ a season

Anisimov scored 22 goals with Jackets before coming to Hawks (His high with Hawks was 22)

Anisimov had a 44 pt season with Rangers before coming to Hawks (His high with Hawks was 45)

LOL at this nonsense that Kane made Anisimov

AA production with Hawks was not all that off from his production with Rangers/Jackets so really laughable stuff here

By this logic was AA the reason Kane lead the league in scoring?

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Kubalik-Toews-Strome
DeBrincat-Borgstrom-Kane
Kurashev-Dach-Nylander
Hagel-Johnson-Carpenter

Nylander - Dach - Johnson
Cat - Borgstrom (Strome, Gaudette)- Kane
Kubalik - Toews - Kurashev (Hagel)
Hagel (Kurashev, Connolly) - Gaudette (Khaira) - Carpenter
Scratches: Khaira, Strome (Borgstrom, Gaudette)
Waiver/Rockford: Connolly (Kurashev)

Borgstrom competes with Strome (and possibly Gaudette) for 2C, Gaudette with Khaira for 4C and Hagel and Kurashev compete for slots on 3rd and 4th lines. If Kurashev looks to regress he is sent down and Connolly penciled in on 4th line

If Toews is washed up ltir him and move Kubalik to first, Johnson to third playing with Kurashev and Hagel.

If Nylander doesn't deliver move him and slot Kubalik in his place, with Kurashev and Hagel playing with Toews.

If Reichel is ready relatively soon slot him with Dach and bump Johnson down to Toews line and Hagel or Kurashev to fourth line. If Dach is playing 1C minutes and Reichel stumbles a bit but is still NHL ready bump him down to Toews line and Johnson back to Dach line.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Most likely, or Entwhistle, and I think they brought in Khaira for depth there as well.

I know entwhistle plays C, did not know JK played C?

Yes, pretty sure he played C quite a bit in Vegas.

yes he did play C in Vegas

if Toews plays from the get go and Johnson plays C then Borgstrom must play the wing then

Toews
Dach
Johnson
Carpenter/Entwhistle/JK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad