What about 8th and 9th round picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quick question: in 2004, the Kings traded their 9th rounder of 2004 to Columbus for their 8th rounder in 2005. Anyone have any idea how that's going to be treated? Or do the Kings suddenly lose an asset they traded for without compensation?

Also, did any other teams make trades to acquire extra 8th or 9th rounders in this draft?

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Also, did any other teams make trades to acquire extra 8th or 9th rounders in this draft?

Not sure if it's a good one but Montreal traded Stephane Quintal for future consideration...if he sign a contract, I think the Habs should get a 9th rounder...but I'm not sure :dunno:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I asked this too. Personally, I'd give the Kings the last pick in the draft. Something is more fair than nothing.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
If they plan on making this 7 rounds official for all the drafts coming, then the teams who traded for 8th's and 9th's should be given 7th round picks this year.

I'm not sure if they plan on making it 9 rounds after this year though? If they do, just give them the same pick they traded for in 2006.

r_po

Jul 5, 2004
Saskatoon
I imagine that this will all be sorted out in the CBA. It's supposed to be incredibly solid in regards to things like this.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Has it been confirmed yet that it is only 7 rounds?? I have heard all the same reports, but for all we know that could have been a typo instead of 9 rounds. After all...it says in this article, on NHL.com itself that:

"This draft is expected to be an abbreviated version with a bit of ceremony for the first rounders, but then a quick rattling of names over the next eight rounds"

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/07/230412.html

Edit: Also...I found this ESPN article:

"Clubs will draft from 1 to 30 in the order the balls are picked. The first-round order will be reversed for the second round and flip on an alternating basis through the nine rounds"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2107300

I think we may have all been reacting to a mistake/typo....because there doesn't seem to be much reason to switch to 7 rounds...especially since the league is trying to keep player contracts low and historically undrafted FA's get bigger paydays coming out than drafted players.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i don't know why they dropped it to 7 rounds (unless thats the new norm) it stupid, is it really that big a deal to save the hour or so it takes for the last few rounds.

as for traded picks i think those teams are S.O.L. they SHOULD be compensated. either the other team owes them an equal pick in one of the next few drafts or the league could just slap on some comp picks at the end of the draft. but i have a feeling they will just say that those 8th and 9th round picks don't exist anymore and whether they were traded or not won't matter which is wrong.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
NYR469 said:
as for traded picks i think those teams are S.O.L. they SHOULD be compensated. either the other team owes them an equal pick in one of the next few drafts or the league could just slap on some comp picks at the end of the draft.

The other teams don't owe a thing. The fairest thing is a compensatory pick.

NYR469 said:
i don't know why they dropped it to 7 rounds (unless thats the new norm) it stupid, is it really that big a deal to save the hour or so it takes for the last few rounds.

as for traded picks i think those teams are S.O.L. they SHOULD be compensated. either the other team owes them an equal pick in one of the next few drafts or the league could just slap on some comp picks at the end of the draft. but i have a feeling they will just say that those 8th and 9th round picks don't exist anymore and whether they were traded or not won't matter which is wrong.

If they did drop it, it's because close to 300 players were getting picked and I think the NHL would prefer it to be closer to 200. The draft was dropped from 11 rounds to 9 in 1996 to combat this already, but with expansion the number of players drafted balooned up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad