2019 Stanley Cup Final What a long crazy road this season has been

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins preseason started a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way from home 8 months ago

But the team BONDED on that trip and that has carried over to this day

The Winter Classic in South Bend was another bonding experience for the team.

I have been fortunate enough to be along for most of the ride. Back in October, I had a memorable drive where I saw a wild bear on the drive between Edmonton and Vancouver and then by sheer luck saw Mark Recchi being honored in his hometown at a WHL game.

MARK-RECCHI-HALL-OF-FAME-NIGHT-CROPPED.jpg

Going into this season I felt like most of the HF Bruins pundits that Toronto on paper had moved passed us, Tampa would be a juggernaut and the B's would have competition to keep the 3 seed in the Atlantic.

giphy.gif

No matter what happens it is time to give Bruins management a stick tap.

I'm just a roadie in all of this and I will be honest that I see and hear things that I will never post on HF but I will say this - This is the most focused group of athletes that I have ever been in involved with covering games.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm just a camera op - but I'm pretty good at what I do :)

But the teams's on the bus
And they're ready to go
We've got to drive all night and do a game in Chicago
Or Detroit, I don't know
We do so many games in a row

And these towns all look the same
We just pass the time in the hotel rooms
And wander 'round the rink.
Till those lights come up and the puck is dropped
And we remember why we came

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It's been quite a year.

I'm especially happy for:

Bruce Cassidy. This season has cemented his status as an NHL caliber coach.

Noel Acciari. Sure he struggled early in the season, but the level of criticism he received on this board was excessive.

Tuuka Rask. His nonchalant-at-times demeanor rubs some the wrong way, but wow, has he silenced his critics. I made him my avatar a while back when he was being ripped to shreds here. Tim Thomas is my favorite Bruin, but Tuuka's not far behind.

Don Sweeney. How many great decisions has he made in the past year? Letting other teams overpay Schaller and Riley Nash, signing Wagner and Nordstrom, bringing in Halak to spell Rask, acquiring Coyle and Johansen at the TDL.

I'm a bit saddened for Kevan Miller, though. For a guy as tough as he is, he just can't seem to stay off the disabled list. Last I checked he's 2 regular season games shy of getting his name on the Cup should they win and he doesn't appear in the Final.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m a broken record with this, but two narratives that can be thrown out the window:

1. They did “nothing” in the off season. I was on them for standing pat and being in this holding pattern where they were in the mix, but were essentially wasting the core’s waning years. Clearly I was wrong in wanting them to rebuild it.

2. The playoff road was too difficult. We heard this one a lot, even from Cam, that the playoff format is flawed and needed to be changed. Tampa and Boston were in this collision course and it was bad for the league that the two best regular season teams would face off before the conference final. However, as is the norm in this league, unpredictability ensued and the two wild cards knocked off the two one seeds. Meanwhile, the divisional format led to another classic seven game series with the Leafs.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
For me, Toronto was always a toss up, and the series played out that way. Were fortunate that didn’t need to face Tampa because they were a machine. But the Bruins have turned into one, so who knows what would have been had they met in round 2.

There were a few years there that this team really wasn’t that likable. That spark, or that special sauce was missing. Under Sweeney’s watch that slowly started to return. This team is rivaling 2011 for likability for me, and I LOVED that team. Ference, Thornton, Thomas, Recchi.

Say what you want about Backes and his contract but he has become the perfect complimentary leadership piece to getting this team back to where it was from 2011 - 2013.

This team has the perfect mix of veteran leadership with young, hungry players. I’ve been nervous about what is going to happen when this core starts to age out and fall off the roster, but I have complete confidence they’re bringing the next group up to speed and we’ll see a Bergeron/Marchand/Chara/Krejci style of play and commitment even after they’re gone.

Winning breeds happiness of course so maybe I’m not looking at this clearly. But despite what happens this round it’s been a hell of a ride and I think Sweeney, Neely, and Cassidy have built an incredible blueprint.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The development of the defense has been an absolute key.

To be able to weather the loss of Miller, McAvoy, Chara, Krug, and Grzelcyk at various points and for difference reasons and end up where they have is to be applauded.

For all the more we discussed the glaring hole at 2nd line RW, they’ve scraped it together without breaking the bank or the draft pool on the big fish.

Can’t have it all in a cap league.

And of course, Halak being able to spell Rask when he was going through whatever may have saved their season.

It all came together, but it was far from a certainty.

Reactions: Trizz617 and Kate08

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I'm just a camera op - but I'm pretty good at what I do :)

But the teams's on the bus
And they're ready to go
We've got to drive all night and do a game in Chicago
Or Detroit, I don't know
We do so many games in a row

And these towns all look the same
We just pass the time in the hotel rooms
And wander 'round the rink.
Till those lights come up and the puck is dropped
And we remember why we came

Gawd, I can't stand anything about Jackson Browne, save "Running on Empty," but I spent 10+ years behind the scenes in the concert biz and I can completely relate. Your experience and insight is always a treat. That you say they're the most focused group you've ever seen gives me tremendous confidence.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm a bit saddened for Kevan Miller, though. For a guy as tough as he is, he just can't seem to stay off the disabled list. Last I checked he's 2 regular season games shy of getting his name on the Cup should they win and he doesn't appear in the Final.
There is no way they wouldn't petition to get his name on the Cup if they win and he doesn't make it into a Final game.

I do feel bad for him though. Must be hard to have to watch and not play.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At the start of the season, I would have put the Bruins in the second tier of teams that could realistically compete for a cup. I didn't think they could get by Tampa or Washington, but felt they were as good as the rest of the teams vying for the cup. So I never thought in a million years we'd be here waiting to see who they play for the finals. It's been an incredible run, and I don't want it to end.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
This will be the greatest season ever for me if they win it, because this has been the Year of Hockey for my nearly six-year-old son and I. As I'm typing, he just had me help him get his socks on so he could practice skating on our hardwood floor. We've been to a bunch of P Bruins and UMass games, including the Frozen Four, NCAA regionals and Hockey East championships. If I could take him to a Cup parade, it would complete a most amazing year of deeply connecting with him through this beautiful game. He's already obsessed. This would permanently solidify it. Now he's practicing his celly, for Pete's sake.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Didn’t the bruins go 6-0 on their road trip this year?

Lots of great story lines this year that remind me of the 2011 team, and I agree with Kate that they are as likeable or close to it

This team has an identity and it’s a hell of a good one, basically everything that has needed to go right for Boston has. Backes filling a key role. All Sweeney trades contributing. Old core finds new life. Young guys contributing.

To me, guys like Debrusk play a huge role in this team’s resurgence particularly identity wise. When he scored that goal against Toronto and skated by the bench thumping the spoked b, I knew we had something special cooking.

Players that love this city and organization and want to be here

Not a single passenger on this team and I love it

Reactions: Trizz617

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It is a special team and the trip at the beginning of the season reminded me of 2011. There seems to be some deep bonds with the players, they seem to genuinely like each other. Chara coming onto the ice for the trophy was so awesome, it seems like a real family atmosphere with him at the top. It is so much fun to watch and the Peaky Bruins theme was perfect for the season. So much to love and enjoy! Keep it rolling boys!!!

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This will be the greatest season ever for me if they win it, because this has been the Year of Hockey for my nearly six-year-old son and I. As I'm typing, he just had me help him get his socks on so he could practice skating on our hardwood floor. We've been to a bunch of P Bruins and UMass games, including the Frozen Four, NCAA regionals and Hockey East championships. If I could take him to a Cup parade, it would complete a most amazing year of deeply connecting with him through this beautiful game. He's already obsessed. This would permanently solidify it. Now he's practicing his celly, for Pete's sake.
If he starts practicing his autograph, you may have the next Marchand :laugh: (there was an article that mentioned Marchand doing that when he was a kid, no idea where I read it though)

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's been quite a year.

I'm especially happy for:

Bruce Cassidy. This season has cemented his status as an NHL caliber coach.

Noel Acciari. Sure he struggled early in the season, but the level of criticism he received on this board was excessive.

Tuuka Rask. His nonchalant-at-times demeanor rubs some the wrong way, but wow, has he silenced his critics. I made him my avatar a while back when he was being ripped to shreds here. Tim Thomas is my favorite Bruin, but Tuuka's not far behind.

Don Sweeney. How many great decisions has he made in the past year? Letting other teams overpay Schaller and Riley Nash, signing Wagner and Nordstrom, bringing in Halak to spell Rask, acquiring Coyle and Johansen at the TDL.

I'd say Cassidy's status is probably a little better than just NHL caliber. But yes, extremely happy for him. Given a 2nd chance, proves the whole league wrong.

Also happy for Cam Neely. Not many jokes flying around about him any more.

Happy for the Z man too. Can't win a Cup with him as a top pair guy anymore. Much like can't win a Cup with Rask in goal. Much like would never win a Cup with Tim Thomas in goal.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This team has the perfect mix of veteran leadership with young, hungry players. I’ve been nervous about what is going to happen when this core starts to age out and fall off the roster, but I have complete confidence they’re bringing the next group up to speed and we’ll see a Bergeron/Marchand/Chara/Krejci style of play and commitment even after they’re gone.
If the kids pay attention, and I think they are, the Bruins should continue to have strong leadership for years to come. I have a hard time believing there is a better leadership core in the league right now.

Reactions: Trizz617

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I rarely criticize the team... in my happy puppy thread I tried to post all season long with reasons I saw greatness happening.

we were hit with ungodly injuries to the defense... or else we would have been even better during regular season. but we were never going to settle for regular season success

playoffs are a crapshoot... I was very iffy that we would beat tampa head to head... I never once called for a playoff format change for that reason. I like to encourage rivalry matchups so I suggested changes only to increase rivalaries.

as luck turns out tampa lost... we got different opponents. all along, I said you got to beat the team in front of you if you want to win the cup

for me... this was always about winning the cup. anything less would have been a disappointment.

the trade deadline moves werent the ones I called for... but they served the purpose we knew needed serving. this teams one weakness was second/third line scoring depth. adding 2 upgrades without a huge hit to the future assets was a master stroke

I never once lost faith in the core chara/Bergeron/marchand/rask but they didnt win the last 7 cups so my faith was unrewarded. ive been picking the b's to win the cup every year

so... maybe I will be right this year :)
but I wont say im some super genius. I wont take credit for them winning
im glad my faith/support never waivered. it will make victory all the sweeter

winning requires some luck... a hot goalie... healthy players... a team that bonds together

its a beautiful thing when it happens. as fans, we were lucky to be able to cheer this team
lets hope it finishes the run the way we want but win/lose we were still lucky to be along for the ride

go bruins go

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gawd, I can't stand anything about Jackson Browne, save "Running on Empty," but I spent 10+ years behind the scenes in the concert biz and I can completely relate. Your experience and insight is always a treat. That you say they're the most focused group you've ever seen gives me tremendous confidence.

4 weeks ago I arrived in Toronto and the city was giddy with excitement that the Leafs would kill the bear......

How did that work out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->