What 2017/18 playoff team will be a lottery team in 2018/19?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
none of us know for sure but nonetheless, here are my guesses:

new jersey
colorado
philadelphia
anaheim

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
none of us know for sure but nonetheless, here are my guesses:

new jersey
colorado
philadelphia
anaheim
Anaheim is an interesting pick. I think the only way that happens is if Gibson gets hurt early and they go deep into a hole.
Colorado would also be interesting because how often do we see a team with multiple (potential) top lottery picks. NJ wouldn't surprise me, but if Philly misses that's a shocker. It'd have to be the end of Hakstolls career in Philly

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
My picks are:
Vegas
CBJ (especially if Panarin is moved)
Colorado

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Since 13-14, there have been 15 top 10 teams that missed the playoffs the following season. Each season, at least one top 3 team has missed too.

Nashville
Winnipeg
TB
Boston
Vegas
Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
Anaheim
Pittsburgh

Going by the average, 3, maybe 4 of these teams will miss the playoffs in about 6 months. If you go by the final overall ranking of the teams that missed, the likeliest this year would be Minnesota and Pittsburgh, followed by Winnipeg, TB, and Toronto. This is all scientific, so please get upset...now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Since 13-14, there have been 15 top 10 teams that missed the playoffs the following season. Each season, at least one top 3 team has missed too.

Nashville
Winnipeg
TB
Boston
Vegas
Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
Anaheim
Pittsburgh

Going by the average, 3, maybe 4 of these teams will miss the playoffs in about 6 months. If you go by the final overall ranking of the teams that missed, the likeliest this year would be Minnesota and Pittsburgh, followed by Winnipeg, TB, and Toronto. This is all scientific, so please get upset...now.
ARE YOU SAYING MY LEAFS ARE GONNA MISS THE PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?!....would be interesting to see the collective meltdown the HF would have lol

Reactions: BatVader and HabsQC

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Biggest drop will be Vegas.

Since all non-playoff teams are lottery teams, there will be several that drop. I don’t think any playoff teams from last year fall to bottom 5.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
if Hellebuyck gets hurt or has a horrible year, Wiinipeg is going to be in deep trouble.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think Vegas, will drop most.
I think they ride a wave last year that isn’t around this year. They aren’t underdogs anymore.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You can never trust the Flyers until they actually make the playoffs twice in a row. 11-12 season was the last time they made the playoffs in consecutive years and those were the times when they still had guys like Pronger and Timonen on the back end. I like the Flyers offense and think it's good enough for a playoff team, but the defense + goaltending isn't very comforting until more young guys start taking over and i don't know if that's going to happen yet.

Maybe a team that surprisingly misses in the East.

In general though, i'd look at teams that might have problems keeping the puck out of their net while getting great years out of their top players offensively last season. If the top guys aren't shifting momentum in your favor as much as they did last year and you bleed goals against it's common sense you start losing games.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Y’all discounting Vegas as a legit playoff team are crazy. THEY MADE THE FINALS last year and they did it handidly.

I’m not getting fooled again.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Y’all discounting Vegas as a legit playoff team are crazy. THEY MADE THE FINALS last year and they did it handidly.

I’m not getting fooled again.
I think the only way the make the playoffs is if Fleury plays out of his mind again. On paper, that team is middle of the pack. Yes Patches helps, but if their D faulters, or Fleury isn't godly, I struggle to see them making the playoffs. I could also be completely wrong and they'll win the cup and I'll be sitting here going "well shit"

cobra427

May 6, 2012
My pick is for the Jets or Leafs to miss the playoffs, maybe both. Seems like Canada teams take turns with major disappointments. Calgary. Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton have had recent turns, Leafs/Jets are next:)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Devils
Blue Jackets
Vegas

Maybe Philly and Colorado too?

Teams that made it because their top guys had career years. I don't expect Hall to win another Hart and I don't expect Karlsson to score 78 points again. CBJ has a solid squad, but who knows how things go with Panarin.

Then we will probably have a legit contender like Toronto, Winnipeg, Tampa, or San Jose miss because they just get ravaged by injuries. It happened to Tampa two years ago, it's really just luck of the draw.

Silentjury

Apr 19, 2014
Columbus is my leading candidate. The combination of Torts at the helm and the Panarin situation could make for a explosive situation.

Boston - Depends on Bergeron's health.

New Jersey - Lack any sort of depth and will require Hall to have another monster season which is possible but also asking a lot.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Nashville
Winnipeg
TB
Boston
Vegas
Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
Anaheim
Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh won't miss, they've made it 12 years in a row and still have their cup winning lineup mostly intact.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I think the only way the make the playoffs is if Fleury plays out of his mind again. On paper, that team is middle of the pack. Yes Patches helps, but if their D faulters, or Fleury isn't godly, I struggle to see them making the playoffs. I could also be completely wrong and they'll win the cup and I'll be sitting here going "well ****"
I know it’s just preseason, but they haven’t looked like that “middle of the pack” on paper team. On paper means nothing anyway. I’m a sharks fan, I know that well

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Colorado. Crappy D and Goaltending will bring them back down to earth.
I kinda expect the Avs regressing or being bubble team but D's wouldn't be the problem IMO. If they don't make playoffs, secondary scoring will be the problem if our top lane can't carry this team. Goaltending might be an issue too if Varly and Grubauer doesn't show up. If then I hope Francouz can somehow help us.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What do you mean by lottery team? Every team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team. This term from back when the top 5 only could pick 1st overall is outdated, most people who use it still mean that, but it's incorrect and you never know what they mean because of it.

I'll say New Jersey, Philly, Colorado, Vegas, and Minnesota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad