What “Common Wisdom” Do You Doubt or Disagree With?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
More hockey is better. I detest this opinion

82 games is a superhuman task. Tie that in with all the insane travel and the improved tactical coaching across the league and you get a good but not great product.

They need to cut it down to between 45-60. That lockout shortened back in 2013 was superb and my team wasn't even any good.

Owners will never let this happen. You reduce the season by 30+ percent and the tickets are going up by 30+ percent.
Either that or the players are going to take a pay cut. Why pay these guys 10-12 mill a year if they aren't playing as many games?
It's possible they could reduce the season by a small number of games (bring it down to 70) but I still think the owners will want some kind of compensation for lost revenue.

Reactions: CanuckCity

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think playing on your off wing comes with more advantages than disadvantages. Better angle on shots and you can pass forehand or backhand, I always felt I had way more options as a righty playing left wing. I can take it wide or cut back to the middle, put it in/through the defenders skates.. idk, I just always wanted to be dangerous and with options when skating down on a break, and I feel like having the puck on your forehand more towards the center does that for a player. I honestly don’t really get the argument towards the standard mindset, so if anyone could illuminate exactly why playing the side of your handedness is more common I’d love to know.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I think playing on your off wing comes with more advantages than disadvantages. Better angle on shots and you can pass forehand or backhand, I always felt I had way more options as a righty playing left wing. I can take it wide or cut back to the middle, put it in/through the defenders skates.. idk, I just always wanted to be dangerous and with options when skating down on a break, and I feel like having the puck on your forehand more towards the center does that for a player. I honestly don’t really get the argument towards the standard mindset, so if anyone could illuminate exactly why playing the side of your handedness is more common I’d love to know.
I find the same, I’m righty that plays left wing and find it way more comfortable and feel it’s easier to have open shot options. But if I play defence it’s a no, you get burned a little to easy if someone is coming along your opposite side

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
The idea that you need to always pair puck-handling D with stay-at-home D. People love the simplicity and symmetry of this setup, but on average I don't think it's more effective than any other combination. If anything, that clear-cut separation of roles allows the other team to put more pressure on the puck-handling D and force mistakes more easily. Same could be said of the idea to always pair a pass-first player with a shoot-first player. People always seem so sure that these combinations always work; they don't. I figure things like chemistry, communication, decision-making and coaching affect the effectiveness of a pair/trio way more than whatever combination of stereotypes makes the most sense to fans.

Reactions: Aceboogie

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

It's for the defensive zone. It's far easier to receive and make the breakout pass on your forehand. In the most common systems the weak side winger also cuts across and therefore makes the offensive entry on their off hand anyways. Neutral zone and offensive zone roles are position less for forwards anyways. Only at low levels are players restricted. In fact in truly elite systems the forwards positions should really only exist for lining up on face offs, however most players and teams still rely on positions for defensive zone. That's why coaches generally like wingers on their proper hand. For example this difference in facilitating the break out is very noticable with Laine as a right shot on RW is ok at it to LW where it almost never gets out on his side of the ice.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A player can’t possibly be bad as long as they score a certain number of points.

I don’t care if you break Gretzky’s records, if you give more up on the other side, you are not a good player.

Reactions: pi314

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's for the defensive zone. It's far easier to receive and make the breakout pass on your forehand. In the most common systems the weak side winger also cuts across and therefore makes the offensive entry on their off hand anyways. Neutral zone and offensive zone roles are position less for forwards anyways. Only at low levels are players restricted. In fact in truly elite systems the forwards positions should really only exist for lining up on face offs, however most players and teams still rely on positions for defensive zone. That's why coaches generally like wingers on their proper hand. For example this difference in facilitating the break out is very noticable with Laine as a right shot on RW is ok at it to LW where it almost never gets out on his side of the ice.

would like if I could, thanks! Only played lower level so that explains it :laugh:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Shooting percentage is an indication for a player going to score more or less in the future.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
1 size fits all Prospect Development aka "No such thing as letting a prospect be 'too ready'"

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Defense and possession seem to be main reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad