What “Common Wisdom” Do You Doubt or Disagree With?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

--Yeah sure, but if 97% of those shots aren't scoring chances and 30% would result in turnover of the puck and there's your open teammate over on the opposite hash.....

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Not really when ice time and opportunity can vary greatly between teams. PP time given to a player is also a team characteristic and not a player characteristic, and players score buckets more on PP.
If you're discussing Art Ross trophies and league leaders in points, then obviously these players will be a staple of any team's PP and ice time.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Common Wisdom: Plus-Minus is a garbage stat, and should never be used.

Me: It does provide some context when comparing players on the same team over a large sample size.

Plus/minus is a pointless combination of two useful stats. Knowing how many goals for a player was on the ice for is useful with context and a decent sample size. Same with goals against. Combining these 2 stats into one plus/minus stat is like combining assists and PIMs into a single stat.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you're discussing Art Ross trophies and league leaders in points, then obviously these players will be a staple of any team's PP and ice time.

Of course. But not all teams have the same PP time (by a long shot) and not all teams deploy their PPs the same (e.g., PP1 on for full 2 minutes, or split PP1 / PP2 time evenly)

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I dunno.... If I was trying to explain why Jamie Benn had a better career so far than James Van Riemsdyk, I'd almost certainly mention the Art Ross.

Though, to be honest, I don't know why I should have to explain such a thing.

You wouldn’t have to use the argument that Benn has an Art Ross because that wouldn’t even be an argument anyways.

I think the point is more that Benn won an Art Ross in 2015, but that doesn’t mean he was really a better player than Crosby or Ovechkin or even Tavares that season. He just happened to score a few more points in an arbitrary amount of games.

Reactions: MXD

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Couple of mine are:

1. I’m not sure playoff or cup championship experience matters in the NHL. I believe it matters in individual sports like Golf or Tennis, but I don’t think it matters much, if at all, in the NHL. Or, put another way, I think in some cases it may hurt where in other situations it may help. I don’t care how many players I have on my team with cup experience or championships. (I think it matters for coaching a bit maybe but not for players).
Reminds me of a recent Wings game where an NBC announcer said teams should be interested in trading for Trevor Daley because "he knows what it takes to win".

Made me laugh.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Wisdom: Choose the player who is better at scoring goals - scoring goals is hard.

I’ve seen this a lot when prospects are discussed among experts who clearly see themselves as pretty sophisticated. Maybe I’m misunderstanding it, but it does not make any sense to me.

At the upper echelon - I’d take Crosby over Ovechkin easily. A tier or two down I’d take any number of more complete players over Laine.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
You wouldn’t have to use the argument that Benn has an Art Ross because that wouldn’t even be an argument anyways.

I think the point is more that Benn won an Art Ross in 2015, but that doesn’t mean he was really a better player than Crosby or Ovechkin or even Tavares that season. He just happened to score a few more points in an arbitrary amount of games.

This is true, but then what is the conventional wisdom you don’t agree with?

I’d argue the conventional wisdom is:
“if a player has three Harts and another zero over their career then that’s a good indicator that player is better.”
You disagree with this?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
More hockey is better. I detest this opinion

82 games is a superhuman task. Tie that in with all the insane travel and the improved tactical coaching across the league and you get a good but not great product.

They need to cut it down to between 45-60. That lockout shortened back in 2013 was superb and my team wasn't even any good.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This is true, but then what is the conventional wisdom you don’t agree with?

I’d argue the conventional wisdom is:
“if a player has three Harts and another zero over their career then that’s a good indicator that player is better.”
You disagree with this?

Well I guess it depends on the player. Patrick Roy never won a Hart and Bobby Clarke has 3, but I’d probably rank Roy higher.

member 305909

You don't take a time-out when your team is leading a game.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
More hockey is better. I detest this opinion

82 games is a superhuman task. Tie that in with all the insane travel and the improved tactical coaching across the league and you get a good but not great product.

They need to cut it down to between 45-60. That lockout shortened back in 2013 was superb and my team wasn't even any good.
It's an exchange. I'll take the good product over 6 months, over a "great" product over 3 and half months. That little extra stimulation is not important to me. Because that stretch of October to January was not great.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
All Coaches and GMs are better at their jobs than any of us could be cause they are the paid professionals

My boss is a paid professional and couldn't find his ass with both hands

Reactions: Ed Wood and Jurky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad