What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Nordiques should return.

36 teams could work.

Regular season should be shorter and early play-off rounds should be best of five until Conference final where then it's best of seven as well as the Stanley Cup final.

KHL Champions should play the NHL's worst team for a one-off post-season event.

Bettman has done a decent job while working under the BOG who really call the shots.

Edit: Sean Avery would be great as a pundit.

You should have an option to turn off the bland commentary when watching a game.

For the anthems they should play a tape without vocals. The singers they have are always cringe, from kids to adults. Anthems should be only played in the in the play-offs and special occasions e.g. outdoor game.

Last edited:

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I like that the game is moving away from goons and more towards celebrating skill and athleticism. We all love the guys that came before and paid the price for their teams, but we know just how big of a price they paid, and it’s just not worth it.

I loved when the Olympics were played in Vancouver and we got Olympic rules and play with the smaller NHL sized rink, and hope we get more of that.

Bowzer55

Mar 28, 2007
Binghamton
1. Need to bring back more fighting. If you look up hockey Youtube videos, the most viewed ones are the fights, not great goals or plays. I know plenty of people who go to hockey games because they want to see a fight and are left disappointed when there are none
2. You should be able to kick in goals. Scoring would go up and we would not have to wait for all these "under review" goals
3. There should be teams in Quebec, Fargo, Atlanta and Salt Lake City
4. There should only be a penalty for DELIBERATE hits to the head. A skater should not be penalized for being taller than another guy
5. Don Cherry is great, one of the best personalities out there

Reactions: KarlssonsGroin

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Tavares is the most overpaid player in the NHL, and one of the most overrated. My fellow Leafs fans seem to put him on this pedestal solely based on him being a local boy.
Yeah totally, I mean who would want a 47 goal scorer on your team for 11 millions? That’s some terrible waste of money. He’s lucky he’s a local boy...

Reactions: ToDavid

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
i hate the leafs fans that think they’re some victims because of their own ignorance
The poster was right though, there are more people who hates Leafs fans than actual Leafs fans

My unpopular opinion is that Matthews is the best player on the Leafs and it’s not that close. People should actually watch Leafs games instead of just looking at players stats on hockeydb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I don’t want to change the amount of games a week. My idea is to spread the hockey season throughout the year. Think of it almost like tv shows how they go away for a bit and then come back for the season. Well it would be kind of like that but not as long as those shows take to come back but it does give them some kind of rest. And what you are really doing is just taking the time out of the offseason and injecting it into some of the season. Remember I said offseason still exists so I’m really just proposing that there be just a few gaps in the season instead of a long offseason.

The season is already too long. Watching hockey in May and June when it's nice out becomes a drag (unless your team is going deep) shorter season, playoffs in March is my opinion.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
- Every team should have equal odds of winning draft lottery, and it is absolutely pathetic that people actively root for their team to lose so they have a chance at the welfare lottery. You should never be better off losing in any aspect of life, the fact this everybody gets a ribbon mentality has seeped its way into pro sports (which should be the ultimate meritocracy) is sad. The league should stop rewarding incompetence & failure, which goes on to ruin many stars who could've shined way brighter and grew the sport
- Don Cherry is a legend
- Offence is more important than defense
- 3v3 & the shootout are great and no sports game should result in a tie
- Ovechkin is the greatest player of all time, and players are so much better today that most legends from the past would not even be top 6 forwards today
- Salary cap should be abolished
- Carey Price is the most overrated player in the NHL
- Toronto is a mediocre team & the insane media bias leads people to believe they're far better than they are
- Namestnikov is top 10 in the league in terms of hockey IQ, maybe the absolute #1 highest IQ in the NHL but not the skills of other superstars.
- Hockey culture is the best of any pro sport, and NHL players are much classier than any other league. And there are a lot of quirky traditions & stylistic things that show off hockey players personalities despite what some negative fans claim
- Dynasties >>> Parody
- Russian style of play is best of any nation
- Andersen is an awful goalie, bottom 3 in NHL
- Markstrom is the worst goalie in the NHL
- Women's hockey is boring
- It's dumb how people discount goalies as not being part of a team, a team plays bad and their goalie steals a game is treated as if it’s some third party who helped them out. It’s no different than a team playing bad and their star winger scoring a hat trick to make them win.
- Star power > depth
- It's stupid when people say X team would suck without X player, as if X player is a separate entity and doesn’t make up the team
- JT Miller is the worst player in the NHL

I laughed a few times in this list. :laugh:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Auston Matthews is still one of the most overrated players, if not the most, in the NHL. He’s not a generational talent and isn’t top five let alone in his position.

Tampa Bay won’t win a cup in the near future. They don’t have the mental fortitude. They’re more akin to the San Jose Sharks than the Washington Capitals.

People on this forum overrate nostalgia: Datsyuk is a shining example. Or any player in the 1990s.

Analytics are useful and numbers don’t lie. It’s the people who use them in a very shitty fashion, especially on this site, that do lie. Posting a chart and saying X player is bad, doesn’t explain your point. Stop being lazy and actually say WHY they’re bad BASED on the chart.

People who value body language above skill can’t assess f*** all when it comes to sports.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I can't find agreement with my contention that the Bruins are too old to get to the SC finals in 2020. The Blues showed them up. Fasten on Chara, Bergeron,, and Krejci who date back to the last century, and Marchand I particularly like the last few Hab draftees, such as Poehling, Caufield, Rrimeau, and Struble. The only new contender is Florida, which will surely displace Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad