What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

member 303789

Replace modern pads with the very modest pads of the 70's. The league has created over protected missiles that enable players to cause catastrophic injuries without feeling a thing. This is extremely unpopular because more is always better....right?

Reactions: IlikeEich and pi314

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is more of an HF opinion than a hockey opinion, but attacking somebody's team because you disagree with them is basically an ad hominem and signals that you have no argument.

"Sorry, but player X sucks."

"Dude, the Rangers suck!!"

Yeah, the Rangers have sucked for 25 years. I still have more opinions than brain cells.

Reactions: K Fleur and LarKing

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Sidney Crosby is currently the 2nd best player in the league, and top 5 all time.
I don’t think that’s an unpopular view at all (outside the vocal but small group of posters on the history of hockey forum who believe the 1958 Canadiens have at least 10 players ahead of Crosby (and Gretzky))

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I get what you're saying, but that is provided that that defensemen can stabilize his own end. Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson have almost no interest in doing so. However, guys like Doughty, Giordano, Hedman, Pietrangelo, and Josi can shutdown team's top forwards AND quarterback an offense with good transition. And I'm not cherry picking a few goals from Burns. Every time I watch him and Karlsson, their decisions result in a goal or two against their own team. I can upload many more videos if you would like to see them.
Josi???

Brownies

This is more of an HF opinion than a hockey opinion, but attacking somebody's team because you disagree with them is basically an ad hominem and signals that you have no argument.

"Sorry, but player X sucks."

"Dude, the Rangers suck!!"

Yeah, the Rangers have sucked for 25 years. I still have more opinions than brain cells.
I root for Montreal, but when a fellow Habs fan gets stuck in an argument and has to brag about how many more Stanley Cups we have won.... Please ! STOP!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Ovi is more impressive than sid

I think the fact that Ovi has a legitimate shot at a Gretzky record (and it’s the one that ultimately wins you games) speaks more than anything the two have done in their careers and he’s the best goal scorer of all time.

Reactions: Crow

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think we have a blind nostalgia for the past sometimes. I think hockey jerseys are a good example.

..why exactly is the Blackhawks jersey so good? Taste is a subjective thing, but when I try to be as objective as possible I look at it and I just.. I just don't personally like it. And if you do that's fine, but it's weird to me that overall and in general some people like ALL old jerseys more- were they really better, or are you just kinda glorifying the past? There were some good ones and bad ones in the past, just like now.

You'll see it about eras, too. Hockey is great now, but people always pine for the '80s, '90s, '00s, and forget about all the problems.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Replace modern pads with the very modest pads of the 70's. The league has created over protected missiles that enable players to cause catastrophic injuries without feeling a thing. This is extremely unpopular because more is always better....right?
I kinda think that this is a popular opinion among everybody nowadays.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I like Gary Bettman
ImpressionableBogusLiger-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with making hockey more popular.

"We need more star power in the league to generate more revenue."

"We need to market our players better."

Why? Why do we need more revenue?

NHL players are being paid millions to play a sport. What changes if suddenly they and the owners make more money?

The cap keeps going up which means the NHL keeps making more money as it stands.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with making hockey more popular.

"We need more star power in the league to generate more revenue."

"We need to market our players better."

Why? Why do we need more revenue?

NHL players are being paid millions to play a sport. What changes if suddenly they and the owners make more money?

The cap keeps going up which means the NHL keeps making more money as it stands.

Best way to ruin anything is to make it more popular.

Reactions: Mean Gene

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Rant time... Like Nyquil said (above a couple of posts) I'm against the urge to sell the game to non-traditional markets. To the average Canadian fan, there is no benefit to further expansion (unless you live around Quebec City, but the NHL will ignore you for another generation at least). Why should we care about lining the pockets of the owners with expansion money, or bigger deals from American networks. The thought of making the NHL more like the NBA causes me to throw up in my mouth a little bit. Either sports fans can love the NHL for what it is, or watch something else. I could care less if we're the fourth most popular spectator sport in the U.S. or the first.

tenor.gif

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hot take alert:

1. Removing checking from hockey would not make it like soccer or figure skating or any so-called "pansy" sport. The fundamentals of hockey revolve around skating on ice and shooting a puck into the net. Checking is one aspect of the sport that is legal in some leagues and illegal in others, but all of them are classified as hockey.

2. After seeing the trauma that Johan Franzen has gone through post-career I am much less entertained by big hits than I used to be, and would continue to watch the NHL even if they removed checking entirely.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any opinions based on making hockey any more like soccer are trash
Trying to mimic soccer would be dumb, I agree.

But we shouldn't actively try to make it "less like soccer" by putting in ridiculous repercussions for diving. Let's worry about headshots and repeated lockouts before we worry about diving.

The rampant diving in soccer is an internet meme anyway. It's about the same level as what you see in hockey.

Reactions: 555Upstairs

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The rampant diving in soccer is an internet meme anyway. It's about the same level as what you see in hockey.
Unless you include Kovalev, the diving in soccer is absolutely insane compared to hockey. I think it's a cultural thing... in North America, great pride is taken by playing though pain... having blood run down your face in the middle of a play, losing six teeth and coming back to score a couple of goals later in the game... scoring an overtime goal on a broken ankle. For whatever warped reason, the emasculating image of diving or (worse) faking injuries is not only acceptable but expected in soccer.

Reactions: IndustryLeech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->