What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I disagree. 2-3 games a week is good enough. We don’t need an off season longer or w/e you propose.

It’s the nhl season if you get hurt you get hurt no breaks except all star weekend.

You must be born after the 2000s

I don’t want to change the amount of games a week. My idea is to spread the hockey season throughout the year. Think of it almost like tv shows how they go away for a bit and then come back for the season. Well it would be kind of like that but not as long as those shows take to come back but it does give them some kind of rest. And what you are really doing is just taking the time out of the offseason and injecting it into some of the season. Remember I said offseason still exists so I’m really just proposing that there be just a few gaps in the season instead of a long offseason.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
all 31 nhl fanbases suck. People don't suddenly change city to city or state to state. The larger a fanbase is, the worse it is because that equates to more bad apples.

That's my theory on why Leaf fans seem to be terrible. There's actually plenty of good ones (Hi d00m, how you doing?) but it's so large that there will be more *******s than usual.

in a similar vein pretty much everyone that says they don't like guys like Marchand and wouldn't want them on their team even if they mean it would feel very differently if they had gotten used to them over time ever since they were prospects

Reactions: Auston Escobar

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Who cares. Some players in the league rn wouldn’t make it 10 years ago because they would get crushed every other shift. I think we should go back to that hockey.

I know if I played in nhl marner, gaudreau and all these midgets would get destroyed.
The talent /toughness line was always a difficult one to walk.Keep your head up was always the first rule. When I was young ,kids from my poor,rough neighborhoods found ways to make the team . Crushing the kid with new skates and equipment who had been to hockey school was one way to get noticed.It didn't always work,but if the talent wasn't there,well,it is a contact sport!

I don't imagine there are many low income kids playing hockey today.(too expensive compared to other sports) Not that wealthy kids can't be tough,but kids from' have-not ' backgrounds used to be more motivated to succeed and fighting wasn't exactly a foreign concept in my neighborhoods back then. Now there are health reasons,legal issues why that is likely to never become a part of hockey. Now ,kids can play without the fear of getting 'beat up' on the ice. European hockey is this way,still good,just a different product being marketed is all. There is always Rugby to watch!!!

Reactions: LoveHateLeafs

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Good on players for getting the maximum amount of money they can, even if fans don't think they are worth it. There's nothing worse then hearing fans whine about player x making a certain amount of money, and going off on them about how greedy they are. When 99.9% of the people on this site would sign the dotted line in seconds. More then anything, it's jealousy that drives people to complain about salaries in sports.

In fact, I think it would be better if salaries stayed private. Judge players strictly by their performance on-ice. Not how much money they make.
Owners would love this. Salary disclosure helps players get better deals.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't have a problem with Bettman nor the lockouts, in fact every CBA I always hope the league/teams get as much as they can and hold out until they get it.

Sucks to have no NHL hockey for a long time, but it makes the game better IMO when the owners get their way.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Regular season needs to be shortened

First round of playoffs best of 5

Offside review only if the goal happens after a set amount of time

Sidney Crosby is still the best all around player in the game

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
1) The NHL might actually be too large.

2) In the next several decades, the US will surpass Canada in terms of the quality of both its individual players and its national teams. In fifty years it wouldn't surprise me at all if men's best-on-best international competitions consisted of Team USA grabbing gold and everyone else fighting for silver. To keep things watchable the IIHF might restructure the competition as a Team USA vs Team World summit series.

3) Less unpopular now with the decline of fighting than it was ten or fifteen years ago, but the idea of "The Code" always bothered me, much more so than hockey players punching each other in the face. What irked me was the idea that in the NHL(hockey's highest-level club league) in parallel with the official rule book, there was this unwritten rule book and that punishment for violation of these rules was to be meted out by the other team rather than the officials who were paid to keep order. To make matters worse, people couldn't seem to agree on what these unwritten rules actually were. Does any other top level league like the EPL, NFL, NBA operate this way?

This led to absurd situations like players being forced to fight after what the official rules deemed a hard but legal hit on an opposing team's star player because "The Code" said you couldn't do that. The irony was that many of the people who praised such retaliation were the same people who feared the game was going to get wussified and that hitting was going to get taken out.

4)The Buffaslug wasn't actually that bad.

5) Retiring numbers is dumb.

6) The CHL might not actually be the best way to develop hockey talent.

7)Ditto for the USNTDP.

8)Major Junior hockey should transition towards a system whereby players are openly paid according to their market value. It's ridiculous to think that John Tavares was worth as much to his junior teams as a fourth-liner. This wouldn't stop players from volunteering their services for free to a CHL team either. The lure of lucrative payouts to the Connor McDavid's of the world raises the possibility of pressure and exploitation of minor-aged players by their guardians, but other industries(like the entertainment industry) utilize such a system to get talented minors, so I think it's possible. As a safeguard, the CHL might institute a system whereby money earned by under-18 players(less living expenses) is placed in a trust until they reach 18.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
- Every team should have equal odds of winning draft lottery, and it is absolutely pathetic that people actively root for their team to lose so they have a chance at the welfare lottery. You should never be better off losing in any aspect of life, the fact this everybody gets a ribbon mentality has seeped its way into pro sports (which should be the ultimate meritocracy) is sad. The league should stop rewarding incompetence & failure, which goes on to ruin many stars who could've shined way brighter and grew the sport
- Don Cherry is a legend
- Offence is more important than defense
- 3v3 & the shootout are great and no sports game should result in a tie
- Ovechkin is the greatest player of all time, and players are so much better today that most legends from the past would not even be top 6 forwards today
- Salary cap should be abolished
- Carey Price is the most overrated player in the NHL
- Toronto is a mediocre team & the insane media bias leads people to believe they're far better than they are
- Namestnikov is top 10 in the league in terms of hockey IQ, maybe the absolute #1 highest IQ in the NHL but not the skills of other superstars.
- Hockey culture is the best of any pro sport, and NHL players are much classier than any other league. And there are a lot of quirky traditions & stylistic things that show off hockey players personalities despite what some negative fans claim
- Dynasties >>> Parody
- Russian style of play is best of any nation
- Andersen is an awful goalie, bottom 3 in NHL
- Markstrom is the worst goalie in the NHL
- Women's hockey is boring
- It's dumb how people discount goalies as not being part of a team, a team plays bad and their goalie steals a game is treated as if it’s some third party who helped them out. It’s no different than a team playing bad and their star winger scoring a hat trick to make them win.
- Star power > depth
- It's stupid when people say X team would suck without X player, as if X player is a separate entity and doesn’t make up the team
- JT Miller is the worst player in the NHL

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I am probably going to get frowned upon "which is sad", but I like fighting in hockey. From the hockey I started watching as a kid, it was just part of the game.

I somewhat agree with this.

Fighting has its place, but the talentless goons don't, which is a little sad as they're the ones most likely to stop and talk to you to the point you kind of wish they ignored you.

Any stories you hear about them, they're about how nice that goon was, or he was the linchpin of that team.

As for my own personal, possibly unpopular opinion is that hockey is getting really boring really fast.

I'm still invested in the habs and can sit and watch some of their games fully, but for the most parts games are just repetitive. Dump, chase, weak chance, clear/cover for face off.

For me, I use to watch any team against any other team. Regular season was great playoffs were tremendous.

Regular season is good, playoffs are great.

Regular season is rather bland, playoffs are good.

There's very little to no animosity left in the game.

Right now I would say the only rivalry left is San Jose and Vegas.

Toronto - Boston could very well go back to being nothing but two teams playing against each other with Kadri gone.

Edmonton and Calgary had that game that got a little testy, but other than that the rest were rather bland games.

Just 2 years ago California teams hated each other. Maybe if ducks and kings get better again it will come back, but not likely.

Hockey so wants to get away from the scrums/brawls/fighting that they better find a way to improve goal scoring because right now pre-season might be the best hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad