News Article: What’s Wrong With the Ottawa Senators?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They were lucky at the start of the season because they lost 5 of 6 games that went past regulation? I don't follow.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I just read the article. It seems fair given the Senators performance to date. This is a bubble team as some have said.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
This is Anderson's off year
This team will be average for years to come.
We need a good center.

Lol. I thought Duchene was supposed to be that center guy for y'all. He is sure looking like an over payment right now. 8 games, 1G, -10. And then you see Turris playing well with the Predators 8 games, 6 pts, +3

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol. I thought Duchene was supposed to be that center guy for y'all. He is sure looking like an over payment right now. 8 games, 1G, -10. And then you see Turris playing well with the Predators 8 games, 6 pts, +3

Duchene has played well, I know its not reflected in the stat line but as long as he keeps playing like he has, the pucks will find the net. I'm comfortable saying he is an upgrade offensively over Turris.

Reactions: InDucheWeTrust

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So far, it looks less like he's playing poorly, and more like he's gone through a slump.

duchema91

It happens to the best of them;

Crosby, 3 pts -11 in 11 games from 21 Oct to 11 Nov
Backstrom, 0 pts, -7 in 7 games from 21 Oct to 7 Nov,
Saad, 3 pts -6 in 17 games from 12 Oct to 22 Nov,
Guentzel, 2 pts, -4 in 10 games from 14 Oct to 2 Nov
Pacioretty, 0 pts -6 in 7 games from 7 Oct to 20 Oct
Burns, 0 pts, +1 in 8 games from 1 Nov to 20 Nov

None of the above are suddenly bad players, just guys that went through a slump.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Duchene has played well, I know its not reflected in the stat line but as long as he keeps playing like he has, the pucks will find the net. I'm comfortable saying he is an upgrade offensively over Turris.

I don't see the upgrade at all. He's flashier and less of a soft player, but where's the evidence that he'll get more points than Turris?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see the upgrade at all. He's flashier and less of a soft player, but where's the evidence that he'll get more points than Turris?

Less of a perimeter player, prefers to take the puck to the middle of the ice, stronger on the puck. Maybe thats just my preference in player types but I can see the production coming. It was kinda like Bobby Ryan at the end of last year, he was going to the right places with the puck on a consistent basis, it was only a matter of time before the pucks started going in.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Turris has a NHL regular season average of .59 PPG, while Duchene has a NHL regular season average of .72 PPG

.72 PPG > .59 PPG

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Just a bunch of unselfish players passing the puck around too much. Once they start getting selfish and take the easy shots, pucks will go in. As for Andy, he needs to step up and also stay in his crease.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's a one man team, and when that man is struggling the whole team falls apart.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I was never on that boat. I said we should have added him and not let go Turris.

Reactions: HappyDude

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Are you also going to cite Ryan's four 30-goal seasons as proof that he's still a 30-goal scorer?

I don't know, are you going to selectively look at small sample size of a players career, and pronounce a judgement on whether he's better of worse than the player traded away?

I look at the big picture, and career stats for a better perspective on a players NHL performance, rather than a player who is a slump, and kneejerkly brand him a bust.

But that's me.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

It's unfortunate that you post 44 times in the last 3 years (almost 4) and one of them is this one. Go back to your hole.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hard to say, we were playing good before we went to Sweden, since we came back we've been on a winless streak. Let's hope we regain our focus during this off time and come back strong vs. Montreal tomorrow. The way I look at it better to struggle in November than March.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I don't know, are you going to selectively look at small sample size of a players career, and pronounce a judgement on whether he's better of worse than the player traded away?

I look at the big picture, and career stats for a better perspective on a players NHL performance, rather than a player who is a slump, and kneejerkly brand him a bust.

But that's me.

You should use two or three year splits instead. They are more useful.

That said, this is a poorly constructed team and has been for some time. Our previous GM really liked grindy, heart and soul character guys, reall good guys, real character guys. The league now is really about speed and youth and we are older because management wants us to win now.

Guys that can carry the game and play with speed, mental and otherwise:
Stone, Duchene, Hoffman (kinda), Chabot, Karlsson (still recovery mode looks like), Dzingel, Smith is not bad either I suppose.
Then we have...the Mehnators: Burrows, Ryan, Phaneuf, Borowiecki, Harpur (he is ok), Ceci, and so on.

The team needs to re-form itself. Lose the slow and replace with players that attack with speed and youth, night after night. We need a core of players in the 20-25 year range, that skate well and attack and defend as a unit.
Sadly, this cannot occur under current ownership and management, Our best hope now is to just....grund out wins, I guess. And go from there.

Reactions: inthewings

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You should use two or three year splits instead. They are more useful.

That said, this is a poorly constructed team and has been for some time. Our previous GM really liked grindy, heart and soul character guys, reall good guys, real character guys. The league now is really about speed and youth and we are older because management wants us to win now.

Guys that can carry the game and play with speed, mental and otherwise:
Stone, Duchene, Hoffman (kinda), Chabot, Karlsson (still recovery mode looks like), Dzingel, Smith is not bad either I suppose.
Then we have...the Mehnators: Burrows, Ryan, Phaneuf, Borowiecki, Harpur (he is ok), Ceci, and so on.

The team needs to re-form itself. Lose the slow and replace with players that attack with speed and youth, night after night. We need a core of players in the 20-25 year range, that skate well and attack and defend as a unit.
Sadly, this cannot occur under current ownership and management, Our best hope now is to just....grund out wins, I guess. And go from there.

Yeah, this "poorly constructed team" came within one goal, of double overtime, in game seven in the Conference finals, vs the eventual Cup winners.

Get rid of the entire lineup, the coach, the GM, the popcorn and Beer vendors ......... bring up everyone from Belleville, and hire Brian Kilrea to coach the team .......

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The team is getting quality chances but 'puck luck' seems to be lacking. Lots of really good opportunities where the bounces are just going the wrong way. Law of averages dictates that things will regress and the 'puck luck' will return. I am not concerned. They're doing a lot of really good things out on the ice. Patience.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How long will our fairy-tale 2017 Cup run be used as a crutch?
We were probably as lucky during that run as we've been unlucky during this streak. Things aren't going our way, and it's impacting confidence, and we play nervous as a result, where as during the run, we got some bounces, and confidence was built off it, we played better as a result.

It would be foolish to expect another run to the conference finals, but I think using that as proof this team isn't as bad as it's record the last 7 games, or whatever it is, is perfectly reasonable. This team as assembled can be much better than what we've seen the last few games.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We were probably as lucky during that run as we've been unlucky during this streak. Things aren't going our way, and it's impacting confidence, and we play nervous as a result, where as during the run, we got some bounces, and confidence was built off it, we played better as a result.

It would be foolish to expect another run to the conference finals, but I think using that as proof this team isn't as bad as it's record the last 7 games, or whatever it is, is perfectly reasonable. This team as assembled can be much better than what we've seen the last few games.
Agreed. We are not an 0-5-1 team, nor are we a conference finals team. We are somewhere in between, which is a bubble playoff team.

Pointing out that we went to the conference finals in 2016-17 holds no bearing for me when projecting where we finish in 2017-18. The team went to the Cup final season in 07'. That had no bearing on the 08' or 09' seasons.

We lost our rock on the backend and never replaced him. Our Franchise player is playing injured from the start, and it's showing. Bobby Ryan is not the Bobby Ryan that single handedly won us playoff games.

Pointing out our run last year means nothing to me other than blissful ignorance, and I know you are not ignorant, quite the opposite.

I know my tone/outlook is much different than usual, I really don'y like it either, but it's the way I'm viewing this team now. I really hope it changes, quick, or I'm wrong. I'll take either.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The team is getting quality chances but 'puck luck' seems to be lacking. Lots of really good opportunities where the bounces are just going the wrong way. Law of averages dictates that things will regress and the 'puck luck' will return. I am not concerned. They're doing a lot of really good things out on the ice. Patience.
I'm not super optimistic but I agree that if they could right the messy ship in MTL, we can do the same

GO SENS GO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->