Speculation: What’s up with the Preds?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think what some are saying about Poile waiting are very true. I remember how we landed Dumont years ago. I believe he went to arbitration and either the Sabres or he declined the contract offer making him a free agent. Poile swooped in and signed him and he turned into a heck of a player for us for a number of years. I don't know if he's looking for some sort of deal like that or not but it's plausible.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
There are 31 teams and about 10 premier free agents, some years you do not get one. Finances for the team are fine, but Poile can’t hold a gun to a FA and make an offer someone can’t refuse. I personally think it’s time to inject some youth into the lineup.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Johansen and Duchene have been fine. Duchene's only played 66 out of a potential 574 games for us, and he was hovering at or around PPG for about half of them. Let's wait a minute before he's labeled as big of a bust as Turris was. Johansen's overpaid by 2M.

And do you remember how Laviolette sucked ass for the last season and a half he was in Nashville? Historically worst power play. Oof.

60 Pt 1st line center is fine?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What's up with them? They have an $8m C that can't score more than 15 goals. They found a sucker...got rid of 100% of Subban, and then gave that money to Duchene for some reason.

Nashville is a perfect bell curve.

13-14, no playoffs
14-15, 1st round exit
15-16, 2nd round exit
16-17, Lost Final
17-18, 2nd round exit
18-19, 1st round exit
191-20, if you can't beat Arizona, you didn't make the playoffs

You can literally see where they peaked. With the age and contracts, it's probably not going to get better for the Preds soon. They can always get that surprise playoff run, but their days as a contender are probably extremely limited, if not over.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I will take door #2. I like the idea of Killorn a lot. If we can really have him AND a pick just to take him, I'm all for that.
Believe me Poile is not going to want to move what is necessary to get Killorn who just had a career year. Now would he be a good choice for the Preds you bet playes both PK and PP has net front presence great along the boards. The move would relieve a little cap for Tampa but not enough to sign all three RFA's Now if Poile is willing to take both Killorn and Johnson that deal would have been done since both have been shopped. But Rumor now is that JBB has moved on and has beein in talks with Stamkos to waive his NMC if that had not been reported then yes I could have seen Killer a option for the Preds but moving to plan G asking Stammer to waive is contrary to moving Killorn.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Poile is wise to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. Imagine if he pulls a trade like Schmidt for a 3rd. Then we will all be back here talking about how much of a genius he is.

The larger question, I think, is do we trust Poile long term with this team. I'm not sure I have confidence in him long term tbh. I'd like to see new thought leadership in the front office.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
some guys in the ownership group are oil men too. Under pressure these days

Agree, but thankfully Nashville looks like it will survive into post covid.

The age of pollution including oil and other carbon based needs yield to the clean, including the sun and other.
But I expect oil guys to hold on a couple of years as they sell out/finally reinvest in new energy tech.

Hence their ownership stake in Preds, and ramification of that, should remain stable/solid.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Poile is wise to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. Imagine if he pulls a trade like Schmidt for a 3rd. Then we will all be back here talking about how much of a genius he is.

The larger question, I think, is do we trust Poile long term with this team. I'm not sure I have confidence in him long term tbh. I'd like to see new thought leadership in the front office.
Genius? I doubt anyone who isn't biased considers him a genius.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I’m going to get on the internal cap band wagon and add a little they are hand cuffed to limiting contracts to 3 years because they know a real possibility of a giant recapture penalty getting shoved down their throats.

Reactions: Byrddog

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Genius? I doubt anyone who isn't biased considers him a genius.
The Preds posters here are just plain in denial of the state of the team. Logic is diverted at every level. There are a few posters on there page like me that see where the team is be there are a number that put together lines trying to convince themselves that this team is still a playoff team. The current plan is to play two ELC's in the top 9 with no thought of addressing the goaltending situation. Now all understand that Rinne can not reignite those Veznia contending years. Rinne has been my favorite Pred for a number of years but it is time for Poile to buy him out and make a plan until Askrov is ready Saro's and Ingram is a poor plan but we have seen this plan from poile before. Remember the Chris Mason Dan Ellis, Lindback years? How about the year Of Rinne's hip surgery? Hutton, Mazanec, Dubnyk, Hellberg all got time. From Dunham, Vokoun and Rinne this organization has been blessed with solid goaltending and is in a lurch right now.
Now lets think about forwards little tidbit in 2012 -13 and again in 2013 -14 Shea Weber led the team in points. The last forward to break 70 points was Arnott and Dumont in 2008. The team has had 70 point seasons out of Karyia, Arnott and Dumont in 22 years. Now lets consider the team since Arnot has not had a 1C this has resulted in bloated contracts to Johansen, Duchene the recently traded Bonino and the bought out Turris. All of these guys had been brought in to address the 1C and 2C spots None have broken 70 points this with two pretty dang good wings Forsberg and Arviddson on that 1st line.
Poile burned his top prospects in trades trying to upgrade the top 6 including losing Seth Jones and Samual Girard. The remaining prospects are really long shots much akin to Kamenev who many thought to be the savior for the top 6 here just a few years ago.
Why the organization can draft and develop defensmen and Goalies the lone forward that they drafted that has made a big splash is Radulov and he was a disaster in Nashville. From day one Radulov did not buy into the system in Nashville in his first practice he was uninterested in Trotz system and just went thru the motions I was at every practice that year preseason watching him.

Now what looks like is happening Poile has committed to Hynes to move out the Laviolette lines short of the first line and beef up the grit on the team. That has been done, in his pressor last week Poile made those famous Poile words "im happy with the team". Not there have been times he said that and added other players but more times than not he has stood his ground and went into the season. If no more moves are made it is difficult to imagine this to be more than a 80 point team much like those in 2000-2004. A one line team with top 4 defensemen waiting on the yearly Ellis injury with no one that can step into the top 4 role on the roster or on the farm. The team needs some prospects that will be able to step in in the next two years, There are a couple but like all teams only about half of them stick and of those maybe 25% become productive NHL guys. This is going to be a rough turn around I see top 5 picks for a couple years coming.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Agree, but thankfully Nashville looks like it will survive into post covid.

The age of pollution including oil and other carbon based needs yield to the clean, including the sun and other.
But I expect oil guys to hold on a couple of years as they sell out/finally reinvest in new energy tech.

Hence their ownership stake in Preds, and ramification of that, should remain stable/solid.

They need oil for winning and fighting war it will always be valuable

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Pretty easy to see. They're old. They need new, young players on that team badly. What was once the envy of prospect pools has totally dried up.

Reactions: Morrison

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
maybe poile has learned his lessons with duchene. costly fa acquisitions aren't always a smart investment. currently cap space has huge value. would you rather have hoffman at 4y/6m or killorn and a 3rd for future considerations?

Great point and TBL and NYI are in desperate spots. Nashville is not likely to be one of the 16 teams Killorn vetoes either. Generally speaking its a decent place to play and has an active fanbase (over 99% attendance last 7 years)

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I’m going to get on the internal cap band wagon and add a little they are hand cuffed to limiting contracts to 3 years because they know a real possibility of a giant recapture penalty getting shoved down their throats.

Pretty sure this won't be the case as the new CBA took care of the worry. I don't remember what the final outcome was but they will not be on the hook for those big hits if Weber retires early.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Pretty sure this won't be the case as the new CBA took care of the worry. I don't remember what the final outcome was but they will not be on the hook for those big hits if Weber retires early.

It's actually better if Weber retires earlier than later, unless he finishes out his contract. Here's an article breaking it down with the amended CBA ruling. There is potential for Nashville to still be on the hook for $24 million in dead space (spread over 4 years), but that would mean Weber is playing until he's 39.

Montreal Canadiens: Shea Weber’s Potential Cap Recapture Penalty Amended For Nashville Predators

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
nope, you are misinformed
that is past history
to quote Dylan, the times they are a changin

The first thing countries do to each other is destroy infrastructure, the power is cut. Second do you think a mobile tank unit in the middle of nowhere will just plug the tank into a tree or just shut down and be a giant worthless nothing untill they charge it up?
Oil rules the plannet always will

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The first thing countries do to each other is destroy infrastructure, the power is cut. Second do you think a mobile tank unit in the middle of nowhere will just plug the tank into a tree or just shut down and be a giant worthless nothing untill they charge it up?
Oil rules the plannet always will

Are getting better and better at collecting energy incl from the sun and storing it in batteries.
The better that technological process the easier it is to defeat your premise.

Gas is also flammable. Clean energy generally is not.
Ultimately, our atmosphere and oceans can't handle any more crap.

Sadly it will take a long while to learn war is not more profitable than peace, though I have hope that like with the rest of the truth, that notion will prevail.
But technology waits for no one, ever; not previously, not now and not in the future.
Cleaner tech is simpler and less residual consequences/headaches.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Source? Canucks had to eat Lou's recapture.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Are getting better and better at collecting energy incl from the sun and storing it in batteries.
The better that technological process the easier it is to defeat your premise.

Gas is also flammable. Clean energy generally is not.
Ultimately, our atmosphere and oceans can't handle any more crap.

Sadly it will take a long while to learn war is not more profitable than peace, though I have hope that like with the rest of the truth, that notion will prevail.
But technology waits for no one, ever; not previously, not now and not in the future.
Cleaner tech is simpler and less residual consequences/headaches.

War won't be over untill one group can control all and everyone is happy enough to not try to break free or take back what was theirs. Sadly that is a long long road, and the super powers need that oil to stay on top.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
First mistake. Vegas is exempt from the Expansion draft. The rest.. ugh.

As they say, nobody out-bernmeisters bernmeister. Start with a blatantly flawed premiss, go full orbital regardless. Presto! classic stuff. :D

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
War won't be over untill one group can control all and everyone is happy enough to not try to break free or take back what was theirs. Sadly that is a long long road, and the super powers need that oil to stay on top.

War will never cease where freedom is involved. Oppression as you describe will always meet with resistance, and then overthrow.
As for an underlying motivation for greed, the desire to take more will be reduced when we get better at producing such an abundance of quality goods and services, which are hence cheap, that the cost of going to war is not worth the effort or the cost of destruction inherent to war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad