What’s up with Kadri?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
1. The guy you were responding to used 2 years for an average and then career average. Both cases Mackinnon does not hit 100 points
2. Mackinnon's career average is 68 points a season.
Is it even 68? Too lazy to do the math.

I don't doubt for a second he's taken a step forward. I just want a little more to see just how much.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Regardless of how you’d classify him, is 7 games enough to make any sort of determination?

If a players stock can’t rise in 7 games, why can it drop during the same time period.

No it isnt.
But even taking into account last season it still doesnt show he is a #1 center.
A group of Leaf fans kept saying three #1 centers in Toronto.

He is what he is. Which is a good 2nd line center. He's not a shutdown center, and he's not a #1 center.

Reactions: Snowman and Pia8988

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Is it even 68? Too lazy to do the math.

I don't doubt for a second he's taken a step forward. I just want a little more to see just how much.
Including last year yes it is...well rounded up from 67.58

If you take out last year his career average is 58 points.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
1. The guy you were responding to used 2 years for an average and then career average. Both cases Mackinnon does not hit 100 points
2. Mackinnon's career average is 68 points a season.

1. if he can pick an arbitrary timeline to claim his guy's most recent production is his norm, then why can't I?
2. Kadri's career average isn't 60 points a season either, so that seems an odd point to try and use to argue that Kadri is now a 60 point guy...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I remember last year at the start of the season TSN had a special report on Kadri and how he stopped eating cookies. I’m wondering if he has started up again?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
1. if he can pick an arbitrary timeline to claim his guy's most recent production is his norm, then why can't I?
2. Kadri's career average isn't 60 points a season either, so that seems an odd point to try and use to argue that Kadri is now a 60 point guy...

Okay, well if you can use one year, why can't I use 8 games, and claim Matthews is now a 200 point player?

There is a big difference between doing something once, and actually managing to repeat it. Two years seems pretty reasonable to me. I mean, especially when one has a long history of being much less.

do you think William Karlsson will score another 40 goals this year? But.... he did it once right? That must mean you can expect that from him, year in year out.

If you can never repeat something, it's just a one off.

Mackinnon obviously has a much better shot at repeating than Karlsson, in just about everyone's opinion, but I'd still like to see him repeat it.

surely you can understand that's reasonable, can't you?

What is actually impressive though, is he even missed 8 games. He probably would have been closer to 110.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Somehow I bet all the people with the "huuur durr but I taught he wazz #1 centre" are the same people talking about Matthew's regression from his hot start. Definitely no regression to the mean for Kadri though. Nope definitely not. You are all so smrt with that flawless logic.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Chris Johnst0n‏Verified account @rep0rterchris
Nazem Kadri on his slow offensive start for the #leafs.: "I am not focused on points, I am focused on being a Selke candidate. You all seen me shut down McDavid 2 years ago and I am the shut down guy on a team that is first in the whole league. By the end of the year I will be mentioned as a 2-way guy similar to (Patrice) Bergeron and (Anze) Kopitar"

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I remember last year at the start of the season TSN had a special report on Kadri and how he stopped eating cookies. I’m wondering if he has started up again?

Do you ever just stop and think about how you're spending your own time posting about a player you don't even watch on a team you don't like because your team is so bad there's nothing worth talking about?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
HFBoards: It is way too small of a sample size to call Matthews, Marner and Tavares elite at their current production!

Also HFBoards: 8 games underperforming? Kadri definitely sucks and here come a bunch of definitive hot takes about him

Also easily a big enough sample size to say that the leafs beat forwards are all the elite of the elite yet at the same time they’re underperforming ones are just the victims of small sample sizes. The hot takes go both ways

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Because outside of Mackinnon's 100 point season last year, he was nowhere close to that production in any other year. And the poster used the past 2 years to account for any outlier seasons. It's actually hilarious that all you took from that was the fact that it was an "arbitrary timeline". 2 years worth of data/stats helps eliminate outlier seasons.
2. Literally nobody said that...the guy who you responded to said Kadri is a career 52 point player and then he showed the average of Kadri's last 2 seasons.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Chris Johnst0n‏Verified account @rep0rterchris
Nazem Kadri on his slow offensive start for the #leafs.: "I am not focused on points, I am focused on being a Selke candidate. You all seen me shut down McDavid 2 years ago and I am the shut down guy on a team that is first in the whole league. By the end of the year I will be mentioned as a 2-way guy similar to (Patrice) Bergeron and (Anze) Kopitar"

Man I actually thought this was a real quote until I saw the McDavid line.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
that's exactly it. Matthews picking up insane point totals = "oh my god it's 8 games".

Kadri on pace for 15 to 20 points less than he has been the last TWO SEASONS = "yeah that's just his norm".

Or is it “Matthews is now one of the top two players in the league because of an amazing start” while also saying it’s a small sample size for Kadri?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Or is it “Matthews is now one of the top two players in the league because of an amazing start” while also saying it’s a small sample size for Kadri?

Matthews is a phenomenal young player, the second best under 25 player in the league. He's pretty much a lock to be a top 2 or 3 forward in the league for his career, so I don't really care what people call him.

Yes, it's a small sample size. But his entire career is a small sample size. to me, playing 5 or 6 years scoring 60 points, then suddenly jumping, is very different than playing 1 or 2, and scoring 70 as a rookie, then over point per game. It's pretty clear he's capable of being an elite player. Had he suddenly scored 15 points in his first 7 games after 5 or 6 years of scoring 60 in an entire season, I'd be much more likely to raise an eyebrow.

For all of these players, the beginning of this season is a short sample sale. and they're all in very different situations.

Kadri - been a 30 goal 60ish point player for a couple of years now. Scoring at a slightly slower pace. Part of that is a slow start, but I also he is likely to score less this year, due to circumstance and role.

Mackinnon - spent several years scoring at a rather unimpressive rate, suddenly near doubles that rate. That said, he was taken first overall for a reason. So, I'd like to wait and see. I'm not saying he won't score 100 again, because I think it's fully possible. Unlike William Karlsson, who I'm pretty comfortable saying he wont score 40 again. But I still want to wait and see.

Matthews - He's done nothing but smash records and be elite since day 1. Was point per game last year, despite playing many games injured. Taking a step forward. But no one is under any delusions he will continue this scoring pace. It's going to slow. My guess - roughly 50 goals 100 points this year. But yes, just like Mackinnon, we have to wait and see.

Kadri has a two year track record of the rate he is falling short of this year. Mackinnon has only 1 year of unbelievable play after a long unimpressive track record, he's trying to prove he can repeat. And Matthews has no long track record, but his short track record is nothing short of amazing, and he's trending up, as he has been for his 2 NHL seasons.

All very different situations.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Kessel was in town last night too...

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
LOL @ people calling him overrated just because he had a bad start to the season. If that means he's overrated, then Matthews is the best player in the league. He's better than your favourite team's third line centre.

Reactions: olli

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
hes a conceded prick who isnt getting any attention anymore so he prolly sulking and his play is being affected.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The norm is him being a 17-20 goal 40-50 point player.

Players don’t continually trend up. Most peek for a couple of years and then regress back to a norm. Exactly what’s happening with Kadri.
What happened 3 and 4 years ago=relevant. The last 2 year=an irrelevant fluke. You guys are something, I'll give you that.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
His linemates arent so hot. Watch when willy comes back his points are going to come. 30 goal may be hard but high 50 and low 60 points isn't.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Hard for him to have a season where we can complain about production given how good his contract is and the fact that's he 3C

Apr 9, 2009
USA
LOL @ people calling him overrated just because he had a bad start to the season. If that means he's overrated, then Matthews is the best player in the league. He's better than your favourite team's third line centre.

I think the overrated comments are stemming from the segment of the Leafs fanbase that was calling Kadri a #1C.

I think Kadri is a very good 2C. His attitude about the Selke stuff is good and I'm sure he'll be a very good 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->