Kings Article: What’s Behind The LA Kings’ Improved Play?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
The Los Angeles Kings are in the midst of a four-game winning streak and are playing their best hockey of the season after nine or ten weeks of mistake-filled, losing hockey which has placed them firmly in last place in the National Hockey League standings.

What are the reasons that they’re finally playing solid hockey and winning games against quality teams? Frozen Royalty spoke with a few players, along with interim head coach about what’s being their dramatically improved play.

Read all about it at...

What’s Behind The LA Kings’ Improved Play?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The main factor imo is the fact that slower older players are injured which allows younger quicker players to take their place.

Phaneuf for example is helping the team by being injured.

The Kids have shown a lot more than the older players.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The main factor imo is the fact that slower older players are injured which allows younger quicker players to take their place.

Phaneuf for example is helping the team by being injured

The Kids have shown a lot more than the older players.

I agree with you just bolding because this line made me laugh a lot.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like that Gann points out improved special teams--that was something that was literally historically terrible for a while there. We were literally getting outscored on the PP thru most of the season, while the PK was good for about a goal against a game. If you can only score a goal or two anyway--different problem--that's game right there. I like that they've worked on one major thing at a time--special teams, team defense, etc.--to get it in order.

But I'm with Sol, the biggest thing so far is hunger and emotion. Doughty's hitting the everliving shit out of anything, and Austin Wagner is trying to rally the troops. He's really taken some ownership. Other guys have shown sparks through tenacity. That's a team-wide drive that has to continue if they want success. And like Sol, I'm worried what it looks like when some guys come back, less because they're bad, and more because you know Willie D will, say, bench Leipsic for Hagelin. Hagelin and Lewis are really good vets, but at what point do we say we (the org) need the creativity and scoring at this point over a checking winger?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
No doubt it helps that Dion is out.

I have embraced a full tank so I hope he’s back in the lineup soon. Get well Dion.

ZiMhslo.jpg

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't know what it was that enabled you guys to win 4 in a row but by all means please keep it up. The Hawks and Kings were in a battle for the bottom and now that the Kings won 4 of 5 and the Hawks have won 5 of 6 all of a sudden there's a few interlopers getting into the action. There's good news and bad news for the Hawks - they actually are playing markedly better but Kane and DeBrincat have combined for 11 goals over that 6 games and that pace isn't going to continue. Hopefully both our teams will get back on the losing express and we'll battle it out for the most ping pong balls in the draft lottery.

Actually, I'm kind of leaning more towards Kakko than Hughes at the moment, subject to change of course, so why don't we make a nice gentleman's agreement and we'll take Kakko and you take Hughes. Agreed?

Reactions: kilowatt

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You see, good ol Jeffrey Carter comes back and Kempe loses 2C... And Kings LOSE.

SURPRISE SURPRISE..

WAIT UNTIL THE GOD TIER TANK COMMANDER DION "FREON "PHANEUF COMES BACK.

10 game losing streak inbound.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Wouldn't "the midst of a 4-game winning streak" be a 2-game winning streak? Just askin'.

Other than that, it may have been Phaneuf's absence. Neuf said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad