Whalers symbology

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, I always loved that logo. It's got an "H" and a "W" plus a whale tail. Perfect design... though I don't agree with the act of whaling.

Prediction: Look for a re-birth of simple, streamline, smart sports logos in the future. Less fancy animated mascots trying to look mean.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
mazmin said:
Prediction: Look for a re-birth of simple, streamline, smart sports logos in the future. Less fancy animated mascots trying to look mean.

I really hope your right. The Whale was one of the classics. IMO the 'H-W' logo beats the Canes logo any day.

Hail the Whale!
HarWhaleLogo.gif

acr*

I hope that your theory carries over into the jerseys themselves too

We need to go back to simplistic jersey styles, the solid color jerseys with just the triple-stripe at the bottom and elbows, no more of this Shoulders being their own color stuff and weird multi-color designs

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
mazmin said:
Yeah, I always loved that logo. It's got an "H" and a "W" plus a whale tail. Perfect design... though I don't agree with the act of whaling.

"animated mascots trying to look mean"

Good, god, man, you hit it right on the head. Now every ridiculous angry jersey I see is going to drive me nuts. Thanks a lot. :banghead:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bring Back Bucky said:
"animated mascots trying to look mean"

Good, god, man, you hit it right on the head. Now every ridiculous angry jersey I see is going to drive me nuts. Thanks a lot. :banghead:
Agreed! An icon is the best idea for hockey. Like the Whale, Wings, spoked B, Blue Blanc & rouge ect...

Whenever I wear my old Whale jersey on campus someone always stops me and talks about being a Whale fan too.

The logo was cool enought to just be flipped for their AHL team in Binghamton. http://www.logoserver.com/AHL.html

Feb 12, 2003
Not that the Coyotes are trend-setters, but their latest jerseys and logo's were an improvement over the rainbow of color with the Aztec hockey coyote before. Now they have a Coyote/Wolf looking thing with just the basic maroon color and a few stripes at the bottom or whatever. It was nice to see a more traditional look, including the retro ties around the neck.

acr*

GoCoyotes said:
Not that the Coyotes are trend-setters, but their latest jerseys and logo's were an improvement over the rainbow of color with the Aztec hockey coyote before. Now they have a Coyote/Wolf looking thing with just the basic maroon color and a few stripes at the bottom or whatever. It was nice to see a more traditional look, including the retro ties around the neck.

I love the new Coyote jerseys. When I first read about them changing to a nw logo with a brick-red color, I wasn't expecting anything good, but they really made them well.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I too like the Yotes new Jersey.

Although I found it ironic that they are the exact same color and style of the team I grew up and played for called the River Heights Cardinals (est. 1919). So Phoenix takes our Jets and then takes our oldest communitiy center's team colors!?! :banghead: Burn!

Top 5 most hated current jerseys:

#1 Anaheim Mighty Ducks (though I'm embarassed to say I own one, but I loved Teemu)

#2 Carolina (Clichee colors, ugly, ugly logo... stupid name too!)

#3 Florida Panthers (There is a frickn' palm tree on the shoulder WTF!!)

#4 San Jose Sharks (I hate teal...hate it!)

#5 Columbus Blue Jackets (red, white and blue is overdone, the name sucks, every attempt at a logo is horrible - from a wasp to a hat? (shoulder), to some magical flying flag that swoops in front of a star...what the heck is that! Pathetically patriotic and the only originality is in the name which as I mentioned is pretty weak.)

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Habfansincebirth said:
I think that there is a double meaning in the Whalers name.

1- Obviously relates to men who hunted whales.

2- W H A lers. The team was originally a WHA team.

Weren't they called the New England Whalers in the WHA years? There were lots of whaling ships operating out of New England, but none out of Hartford. (And of course none out of landlocked Binghamton.)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
bmoak said:
Weren't they called the New England Whalers in the WHA years? There were lots of whaling ships operating out of New England, but none out of Hartford. (And of course none out of landlocked Binghamton.)
They started in Boston

IkeaMonkey*

mazmin said:
#2 Carolina (Clichee colors, ugly, ugly logo... stupid name too!)

#3 Florida Panthers (There is a frickn' palm tree on the shoulder WTF!!)
weak.)

Carolina = place with a lot of Hurricanes. Not really a stupid name. What else is Carolina known for?? Duke and the Tar Heels?

Florida...there is a palm tree...because there are palm trees in Florida...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
bmoak said:
the original new england jersey had a "w" with a old school harpoon through it. my mom made a little ceramic hockey figure of me wearing the jersey when i was a kid. its a creepy design these days, the hartford logo was much better. obviously im biased, but i loved the whale jerseys - green and blue. i thought they did a good job transitioning into the 90's with the blue. much better transition than cooperall pants anyways ;) .

jacketracket*

mazmin said:

#5 Columbus Blue Jackets (red, white and blue is overdone, the name sucks, every attempt at a logo is horrible - from a wasp to a hat? (shoulder), to some magical flying flag that swoops in front of a star...what the heck is that! Pathetically patriotic and the only originality is in the name which as I mentioned is pretty weak.)
Aside from that, what do you think of the Jackets? :)

Back on topic, I like the clean, simple look, too. My two favorites would probably be the Whalers and Nords unis. Pretty cool that they flipped the Whale logo to form a 'B' for Binghampton.

acr*

HokEGoalie said:
Carolina = place with a lot of Hurricanes. Not really a stupid name. What else is Carolina known for?? Duke and the Tar Heels?

Florida...there is a palm tree...because there are palm trees in Florida...

How horrible a name is the Hurricanes? Hurricanes kill a lot of people every fall in the Carolinas, and they're naming a team after them. It's like calling your team the Tokyo Sarin or Oklahoma City Bombers.

IkeaMonkey*

acr said:
How horrible a name is the Hurricanes? Hurricanes kill a lot of people every fall in the Carolinas, and they're naming a team after them. It's like calling your team the Tokyo Sarin or Oklahoma City Bombers.

Bears kill people. Lightning kills people. Sharks kill people. Canadians and Canucks kill people ( ;-) ). Soooo whatttt

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
GoCoyotes said:

I hate the new Phoenix jersey, it's so bland and lost all originality. Now the logo looks like all other ''mean''-looking new teams, I'm sorry but a Panther, Predator or Coyote is NOT traditional, team logos aren't supposed to look mean or menacing, they're supposed to look classic.
Although the previous jersey might not qualify as classic, it certainly had a lot more creativity and style than the current one. It would have become a classic after time.

It's too bad they were replaced; now I look at Phoenix like just another expansion team, trying to be trendy.

Feb 12, 2003
Typically, I find animals to be silly nicknames for sports teams. As mentioned above, names like the Panthers, Coyotes, Ducks are just too generic to me compared to even some names like the Bruins or Red Wings, which are unique in their own way. It's hard to get a name like Bruins or Red Wings however, so I think far too many teams settle for something they think might be more marketable like a dog or cat playing hockey.

I didn't love the new Phoenix jerseys when they came out, but I did like them more. I'd be surprised to see if there was a common opinion that the new jerseys were worse than the older ones, so a few opinions doesn't shock me when the overall opinion was favorable. Just because something is better doesn't mean that it is good, that's why I think the Phoenix jersey has a lot of room to grow.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I always wanted a Whalers jersey, they where my favorite team and had my favorite player (still the same).

Nobody here has a blue away jersey with Sanderson on the back up for sale, am I right? ;)
You can get vintage jerseys from all kind of teams, but not Hartford... :cry:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sanderson said:
I always wanted a Whalers jersey, they where my favorite team and had my favorite player (still the same).

Nobody here has a blue away jersey with Sanderson on the back up for sale, am I right? ;)
You can get vintage jerseys from all kind of teams, but not Hartford... :cry:
Look on eBay

acr*

GoCoyotes said:
Typically, I find animals to be silly nicknames for sports teams. As mentioned above, names like the Panthers, Coyotes, Ducks are just too generic to me compared to even some names like the Bruins or Red Wings, which are unique in their own way.

But a Bruin is a Bear. I do understand your point though about it being more unique than "Bears" so it's a good name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad