Whalers Night

Do you like 'Whalers Night'?

• Total voters

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I have to admit, at first I wasn't thrilled about wearing Whaler uniforms at all but now I'm hooked. They're pretty awesome and it's fun to see the Canes in a different uniform if just for one night a year. The fans turn out for it and the players seem to enjoy it as well.

I guess the question I'm going to ask. Should the team continue to do this? (seems to be an easy yes but feel free to disagree), and who would you like the opponent to be?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I think the only no vote will be GP.

I had a lot of fun watching the ones last season on tv and a lot more fun attending this one on person. Pucky is the best siren sounder I've seen in person and the Brass Bonanza is so much f***ing fun.

And the jerseys are so beautiful. And the music was top tier all night long. I did not miss the stupid f***ing DJ.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm hopeful that Hartford will get their Whalers back in the next 15 years via expansion. They can happily have their history and traditions back if it happens (I'm very optimistic considering that the NHL wants to expand to 40 teams), but in the meantime, this is a great way to celebrate the history of our franchise before it became the Hurricanes.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

I had a lot of fun watching the ones last season on tv and a lot more fun attending this one on person. Pucky is the best siren sounder I've seen in person and the Brass Bonanza is so much ****ing fun.

And the jerseys are so beautiful. And the music was top tier all night long. I did not miss the stupid ****ing DJ.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm hopeful that Hartford will get their Whalers back in the next 15 years via expansion. They can happily have their history and traditions back if it happens (I'm very optimistic considering that the NHL wants to expand to 40 teams), but in the meantime, this is a great way to celebrate the history of our franchise before it became the Hurricanes.

I think Hartford has a tough hill to climb, even with expansion. The state, and city have a population that is declining and I think the populations' median age is 6th highest as well. Add to it the debt and financial issues the city has had in recent years, and it makes it tough.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I dont think they ever SHOULD change from red and black, for lots of reasons, but if they DO itd be awesome to go green. Theres probably a way to make a hurricane logo that keeps a negative space H too but I'm not exactly sure how that would work... maybe around the eye somehow? Either way I dont think they actually will or should, but man the green is so sharp it's fun to think about

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hartford is rough right now. The Whalers leaving definitely left a mark and I’ve never thought once that we deserved a team since. It was a special place and time and it’s over. I’m glad I was part of it but as the Whalers generations get older there’s less and less of a point of bringing it back. I don’t know how much the newer generations give a shit.

As for the jerseys, they won’t do it but I’d love to see a navy Jersey year. Nearly as perfect to me, it’s rare you can successfully leave a jersey like the green one behind and keep most people happy.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Whatever works to put butts in the seats and isn't a distraction to the team, is ok by me. Cha-ching.

The reactions generated by the things we do is a show in itself. It's either appreciated for being fun and progressive entertainment or so harshly (overly) criticized as financial desperation and attention seeking.

This group relishes the role of disruptor and sometimes, instigator, so much. It would be really fun to sit in on some of the brainstorming sessions for their promotions.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I enjoy it. I'd be cool with 2x/yr once with the blue and once with the green jerseys.

I would also be on board with a longer pregame where they dive into the history a little deeper. Maybe talk about a captain and show some highlights of their career or the hostory of a playoff series moreso than just naming names.....there was a lot of...hey these players played for us. Maybe even do a special for the from reaper.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Despite growing up 60 miles as the crow flies from Hartford and listening to 99.1 WPLR, I never really gave a crap about the Whalers, but I think this Whalers Night thing is great- it was fun seeing that last night and all the retro trappings surrounding it.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

This got me to thinking. Where would Hartford rank in the NHLs "wish list"? In other words, if a representative from prospective cities came to the NHLs offices and laid out a plan for an expansion/relocation, where does Hartford rank?

It's no secret that the league wants to get into Houston, and why wouldn't they, no brainer there.

I think the league wants to get back into Atlanta, this time with a Dundon-type owner. You can't say Atlanta didn't work when the Thrashers had arguably the worst ownership group in history, they were doomed the minute they bought them and the NBAs Hawks.

Would Austin, San Diego, Kansas City, and Milwaukee interest the league? Austin might, San Diego might. KC has an arena but is the interest there? Is Milwaukee big enough to support the NHL along with the NBA and MLB?

Quebec City wants in, but is the interest mutual? Doubt it. Ditto a second Toronto team.

So maybe in the 3-6 range? There's already the history and the market does generate high ratings for NBC (though this could also be a bit of a deterrent, as you're not really introducing a new market to the game like with Las Vegas), and would have the benefit of being the only game in the state. But for reasons @Boom Boom Apathy stated, it seems like it's gonna take someone who can build a building with (mostly) private money.

Reactions: Unsustainable

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
This got me to thinking. Where would Hartford rank in the NHLs "wish list"? In other words, if a representative from prospective cities came to the NHLs offices and laid out a plan for an expansion/relocation, where does Hartford rank?

It's no secret that the league wants to get into Houston, and why wouldn't they, no brainer there.

I think the league wants to get back into Atlanta, this time with a Dundon-type owner. You can't say Atlanta didn't work when the Thrashers had arguably the worst ownership group in history, they were doomed the minute they bought them and the NBAs Hawks.

Would Austin, San Diego, Kansas City, and Milwaukee interest the league? Austin might, San Diego might. KC has an arena but is the interest there? Is Milwaukee big enough to support the NHL along with the NBA and MLB?

Quebec City wants in, but is the interest mutual? Doubt it. Ditto a second Toronto team.

So maybe 3rd, 4th? There's already the history and the market does generate high ratings for NBC, and would have the benefit of being the only game in the state. But for reasons @Boom Boom Apathy stated, it seems like it's gonna take someone who can build a building with (mostly) private money.
With Atlanta if I remember right, they would also need a different building because Phillips Arena at the time was owned by the ownership that didn’t want to share with hockey which was why it was difficult finding anyone willing to buy the team. Unless that situation has been taken care of Atlanta is a far shot. I do miss Atlanta having a team though and agree the nhl would probably like to get back there. I think the whole arena situation was why they were so willing and quick to get the team out of there not the market.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Someone on the BoH board posted a tweet some time ago from a sportswriter there who said the renovations were done with an NHL rink in mind, apparently the drawings were changed at the last second to accommodate that, they would just have to take out the court-side bar.

I'll try to find it.

Edit: found it.

Unfortunately it sounds like it would be similar to Barclays Center (obstructed seats galore).

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Agree that the arena situation (and owner, in that the owners owned the arena and didn't want the Thrashers there) was the issue. Needing to find an owner who would have a local arena solution made keeping the Thrashers there nearly impossible.

Regarding Hartford, the city and CT in general is in a slow but steady loss of people. I don't see any reason the NHL would put Hartford ahead of QC or KC or even Milwaukee. I'd argue Providence is a better option now than Hartford if you're looking to get another team in the northeast.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I had a lot of fun watching the ones last season on tv and a lot more fun attending this one on person. Pucky is the best siren sounder I've seen in person and the Brass Bonanza is so much ****ing fun.

And the jerseys are so beautiful. And the music was top tier all night long. I did not miss the stupid ****ing DJ.

Are you sitting down for this?

I've come around. The throwback vibe between this year and last has completely won me over. I'm actually to the point where I'd like to see them do next year's as a '90s throwback (maybe when the Stars come to town and they could wear North Stars throwbacks for maximum trolling?) with the 1992-1997 jersey set

Whalers11.png

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Are you sitting down for this?

I've come around. The throwback vibe between this year and last has completely won me over. I'm actually to the point where I'd like to see them do next year's as a '90s throwback (maybe when the Stars come to town and they could wear North Stars throwbacks for maximum trolling?) with the 1992-1997 jersey set

Whalers11.png

If it makes sense to troll anyone its Quebec....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad