WHA Summit ´74

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Two years after the original Summit Series WHA´s Team Canada also faced the Soviets in 8 games (4 in Canada, 4 in SU). Canada won only 1, lost 4 and there were 3 ties, so in the end it was a pretty clear win for the Soviets, but after the first 4 games in Canada the series was pretty tight (with win a piece and 2 ties) and Team Canada apparently dominated most of those first matches.

Canada had a lot of veteran forwards (mainly past their primes) like Bobby Hull, 46-year old Gordie Howe, Frank Mahovlich, Ralph Backstrom and even the hero of the first Summit, Paul Henderson. There were also a few young players whose best years were still to come like Marc Tardif and Mark Howe, who played as a forward.
The Canadian defense was led by J.C. Tremblay and Pat Stapleton and Gerry Cheevers was the brilliant netminder on the team (if I remember correctly, some Soviets called Cheevers the best goalie they had faced).

The Soviets were led by the line of Mikhailov, Petrov and Kharlamov, Alexander Maltsev, Vladimir Shadrin and Alexander Yakushev, who again was the top scorer for the Soviets.

WHA´s Team Canada had at least one advantage compared to ´72; they knew what they were up against, so they were a lot better prepared mentally, tactically and physically. Also some guys like Hull, Mr. Hockey, Backstrom, Tremblay and Cheevers played some of their best hockey ever. But Frank Mahovlich was yet again a disappointment and Tardif wasn´t a much of a factor either.

So has anyone seen those games? Are they any good? Of course it wasn´t the same thing as the original series, but still I´ve heard some good things concerning the quality of play. And surely the games can´t be any worse than the first game of ´72!

Last edited:

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005

Most of the games were quite competive except Game 3. Canada tied the first game, won the second game and then made a number of changes for the 3rd game in Winnipeg and didn't win another game in the series.

There is talk about putting those games out as a DVD set.

Marcus-74 said:
Two years after the original Summit Series WHA´s Team Canada also faced the Soviets in 8th games (4 in Canada, 4 in SU). Canada won only 1, lost 4 and there were 3 ties, so in the end it was a pretty clear win for the Soviets, but after the first 4 games in Canada the series was pretty tight (with win a piece and 2 ties) and Team Canada apparently dominated most of those first matches.

So has anyone seen those games? Are they any good? Of course it wasn´t the same thing as the original series, but still I´ve heard some good things concerning the quality of play. And surely the games can´t be any worse than the first game of ´72!

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
There is talk about putting those games out as a DVD set.

Oh, that would be great :yo: . I´ve never seen Bobby Hull play and he was still one of the best players and goal scorers in the world at that point, no doubt about it. I really hope "they" also release the Super Series 75/76 and Challenge Cup ´79 games (even though I still have big doubts about the latter one!). I would purchase them in a second. Maybe I should get a life :D

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Old games

All those games are available to collectors now on vhs or transferred to DVD but of course the commercial DVDs would be better quality.

Marcus-74 said:
Oh, that would be great :yo: . I´ve never seen Bobby Hull play and he was still one of the best players and goal scorers in the world at that point, no doubt about it. I really hope "they" also release the Super Series 75/76 and Challenge Cup ´79 games (even though I still have big doubts about the latter one!). I would purchase them in a second. Maybe I should get a life :D

chooch*

Marcus-74 said:

Didnt he play that series with a bad wrist and couldnt shoot. From what I remember he didnt look all that great in that series. Nor Canada Cup 76 - Bowman didnt trust him and Espo out there. I would try and get some highlight package from pre 72 to see Hull. He scored 50 at age 33 then left for the WhA.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
It's a shame we never got to see Dennis Sobchuk in the '74 series. I would have loved to have seen what the hype was all about, and whether or not it could have stood up against elite competition.

chooch*

Mr Bugg said:
It's a shame we never got to see Dennis Sobchuk in the '74 series. I would have loved to have seen what the hype was all about, and whether or not it could have stood up against elite competition.

With on ice protection and that hair he might be doing chevy commercials today.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
chooch said:
Didnt he play that series with a bad wrist and couldnt shoot. From what I remember he didnt look all that great in that series.

Well, he scored seven goals in eight games, so how bad he could have been? But yeah; it seems that he developed some sort of an injury, which hampered his play in those last games in Soviet Union. And his linemates weren´t really that great either: John "Pie" Mckenzie and Andre Lacroix, though the latter became all-time leading scorer in WHA, I believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad