WHA : Quebec Nordiks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
AxeBodySpray said:
Anyone have a picture of Quebec's Logo?

I included it on the first post, but it's difficult to see clearly on it so we shouldn't judge it too fast.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
QuebecNordiques95a.GIF

Too bad they couldn't have used this one. The old Nords unveiled it and moved before they got a chance to use it which is a shame because its really nice and remains unknown to many hockey fans. I think its one of the top hockey logos ever.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd think the spelling change COULD be enough to keep them safe, but I bet a prolonged lawsuit would hurt the WHA, which may be good enough reason for the NHL to do it.

In a perfect world the NHL would say, "We aren't using these, so here is the logo and name", but it makes perfect sense that the NHL isn't going to do away with its own property to aid its competitors.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I just saw it on TV and it doesn't look that bad, the picture clearly doesn't show it well. But it's still not awesome...

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
"Whaaaaaa-aaaat would you do - for a Klondike bar?"

Its not dreck like the Toronto and Halifax ones but it still sucks in my opinion.

At least the colors are not blinding.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Gee who wouldn't love to see the 'Diks play? I'm sure they'll have a smooth skating team with an offence that can penetrate deep into the other teams zone and a hard nosed defence that will keep the pucks from sliding past the goalie.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
rob_paxon said:
I'd think the spelling change COULD be enough to keep them safe, but I bet a prolonged lawsuit would hurt the WHA, which may be good enough reason for the NHL to do it.

You are right. I for one think the WHA decision is moronic. The NHL warned them not to go with this, and they are doing it anyway.

They are struggling badly just to get this league started. And instead of focusing on the birth of the league solely, they are already chasing legal trouble.

I bet you the NHL is really glad right now. They have options to piss off the WHA if needed.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
They are struggling badly just to get this league started. And instead of focusing on the birth of the league solely, they are already chasing legal trouble.

No doubt...that goofy looking bear ought to strap on his lid, because they're going to go through a bumpy ride down the litigation highway. I'm waiting for the WHA to adopt "Sabers" as a team name...

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Colorado Rockies???

rob_paxon said:

In a perfect world the NHL would say, "We aren't using these, so here is the logo and name", but it makes perfect sense that the NHL isn't going to do away with its own property to aid its competitors.

Anyone know how the Rockies of the MLB got to use the name? If the NHL says it or the Avs owns the Nords name, wouldn't that also have meant that the NHL or the Devils owned the Rockies name?

puckstrike2k

Jun 14, 2004
Millbrook, NY
Brutal...

So far I haven't been impressed with any of the WHA's logos. This one reminds me of those coca-cola commercials with the polar bears in them. Just plain Brutal looking.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Street Hawk said:
Anyone know how the Rockies of the MLB got to use the name? If the NHL says it or the Avs owns the Nords name, wouldn't that also have meant that the NHL or the Devils owned the Rockies name?
The Devils don't care much about the Colorado and KC history so it's not like they would have put up much of a fight.

When Art Model moved the Browns out of Cleveland one of the stipulations was that the team's name, logo and records would stay in Cleveland. He and Irsay negotiated over buying the Colts logo back for Baltimore, but it was too rich for his blood (and he still had to sell the team.)

iAvs

JUST WIN
Mar 1, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
www.flickr.com
Forsberg4ever said:
QuebecNordiques95a.GIF

Too bad they couldn't have used this one. The old Nords unveiled it and moved before they got a chance to use it which is a shame because its really nice and remains unknown to many hockey fans. I think its one of the top hockey logos ever.

I was wondering the same thing. Much better logo if you ask me.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I doubt the Nordiks get into any legal problems over this. Recycling club names for different leagues has happened since time immemorial.

NHL Enterprises, in the last few years, have sold a retro NY/Brooklyn jersey with "Americans" emblazoned on it. Doubt they go after the WHA Dallas Americans unless their jersey is a blatant knock off.

In the case of the Nordiks, there's enough differentation between the two entities to squeak by legally.

I recall the clash between the Canadian Football League and the NFL over the name Baltimore Colts. I believe that was settled out of court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad