Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
La-La-Laprise said:
Tanguay is massivly rich.

It can be a "gift"

Are there any rules stating i cant give 5 million bucks to someone??

Depends on how strict the CHL rules are. That obviously wouldn't be allowed in the NCAA, for instance.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Epsilon said:
Depends on how strict the CHL rules are. That obviously wouldn't be allowed in the NCAA, for instance.

The NCAA has rules where you cant accept a glass of water.

CHL im sure has salary rules, but do you think these Americans are coming up here for free? And the Euros?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:

CHL im sure has salary rules, but do you think these Americans are coming up here for free? And the Euros?

Not sure how that supports your argument at all..

The Americans are not getting paid in the States so they come up to the CHL for better exposure and still don't get paid or at least very little ..What is the Difference??

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
Not sure how that supports your argument at all..

The Americans are not getting paid in the States so they come up to the CHL for better exposure and still don't get paid or at least very little ..What is the Difference??

You are living in some Fantasy Dream world if you dont think Teams are giving them some extra things :)

Patrick Roy is giving all his americans full paid College Tutition to any school they want.

They arent getting paid a "salary" but they get bonuses.

Maybe its not like that in the WHL but it is in the QMJHL (where Crosby plays).

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Players get an allowance of around $50/week, depending on the team and I believe many teams pay tuition for private schools or university for the players. I would think anything above that though wouldn't be allowed. Incentives to join/stay with a team maybe, but cash payments? Doesn't sound right.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Piggy2 said:
Players get an allowance of around $50/week, depending on the team and I believe many teams pay tuition for private schools or university for the players. I would think anything above that though wouldn't be allowed. Incentives to join/stay with a team maybe, but cash payments? Doesn't sound right.

It goes on.

Halifax gave Andrei Shefer, their eurp in 99/00, his own apartment, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and allowed his pregnant gf to move in with him.

I am not talking about players being on "payroll" but they are givin extra perks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
You are living in some Fantasy Dream world if you dont think Teams are giving them some extra things :)

Patrick Roy is giving all his americans full paid College Tutition to any school they want.

They arent getting paid a "salary" but they get bonuses.

Maybe its not like that in the WHL but it is in the QMJHL (where Crosby plays).

You are right I can't think of a single reported incident in the Dub that mentioned Bonus under the table ... Maybe the coach takes his players Fishing on the lake for the day and provides Shrimps on the BQ..

And in Canada Tuition fees to College is nothing like the costs in the States to go to big name schools..

but in the Crosby case here we are talking about giving a 5 mil gift to keep him in town ... So that being the case all Crosby agent has to say is we are comtemplating a offer from the WHA and BINGO Crosby is a rich man..

People said the same thing about the WHA when it stated up 30 years ago ..That the NHL teams rich owners would keep its stars at all costs and suddenly Bobby Hull, Frank Mahovlich, Gordie Howe, Dave Keon, Jacques Plante and Gerry Cheevers etc etc are all in uniform for the NEW WHA league that everyone called a joke back then as well ..

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
You are right I can't think of a single reported incident in the Dub that mentioned Bonus under the table ... Maybe the coach takes his players Fishing on the lake for the day and provides Shrimps on the BQ..

And in Canada Tuition fees to College is nothing like the costs in the States to go to big name schools..

but in the Crosby case here we are talking about giving a 5 mil gift to keep him in town ... So that being the case all Crosby agent has to say is we are comtemplating a offer from the WHA and BINGO Crosby is a rich man..

Well Roy is giving his amercians like Androcopolous, Hennesey, Ryan, Coughlin, etc 4 years paid college to anywhere in NA...some places are up to 50K a year.

If there isnt a rule against it i cant see how it can be enforced. And Toronto would need to offer Crosby 5 mill. Remember their protected player plus Crosby cant be 10 million...theyd have no more cap space.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
It goes on.

Halifax gave Andrei Shefer, their eurp in 99/00, his own apartment, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and allowed his pregnant gf to move in with him.

I am not talking about players being on "payroll" but they are givin extra perks.

If Shefer's gf was pregnant, she hid it well.
:amazed:

PEli*

La-La-Laprise said:
theyd have no more cap space.

I thought the cap was $15,000,000. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Like La-La-Laprise said, there are all sorts of under the table perks being given to CHL players across the board. It happens in each league but in different extremes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
Well Roy is giving his amercians like Androcopolous, Hennesey, Ryan, Coughlin, etc 4 years paid college to anywhere in NA...some places are up to 50K a year.

If there isnt a rule against it i cant see how it can be enforced. And Toronto would need to offer Crosby 5 mill. Remember their protected player plus Crosby cant be 10 million...theyd have no more cap space.

It will be interesting to see what happens ..particularly with Crosby as if he takes the 5 mil offer and plays for the Toro's ..I guarantee he still will be the first player chosen in the NHL draft and to fuel the fire even more ... Rookie Salary Cap contracts are said to come down in the next CBA ..So the 5 mil offer for 1 year will be greater than Crosby first 3 year NHL contract combined ..

Don't forget Toronto's protected player is Chris Phillips and I doubt he plays a minute in the WHA ..He has filed for arbitration so one way or the other he will have an NHL contract by Aug 15th... So then you have Crosby at 5 Mil and 10 mil for 20 remaining players ..

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
It will be interesting to see what happens ..particularly with Crosby as if he takes the 5 mil offer and plays for the Toro's ..I guarantee he still will be the first player chosen in the NHL draft and to fuel the fire even more ... Rookie Salary Cap contracts are said to come down in the next CBA ..So the 5 mil offer for 1 year will be greater than Crosby first 3 year NHL contract combined ..

Don't forget Toronto's protected player is Chris Phillips and I doubt he plays a minute in the WHA ..

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Crosby is 17!! Imagine being offered 7 million CDN dollars when you are that age!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Crosby is 17!! Imagine being offered 7 million CDN dollars when you are that age!
That's right ... That is exactly what I thought when you posted earlier that Crosby would not leave the Q for the WHA ...

That's a TON of money for a 17 year ..heck thats a ton of money for Joe Thornton who makes 5.5 mil or even Jerome Iginla at 7 mil..

Put in persective unless somebody hands him a HUGE cheque under the table, how could he not accept it, regardless of what we make of the WHA currently.??.

its not really to far fetched ... Heck at that kind of Money..and if the WHA succeeds ...What's to stop Crosby for playing 3 years in the WHA at 5 mil per and then joining the NHL at 20 lets say with 15 mil in his bank account and then he signs his NHL contract ..limited to 850 K per year and 150 K signing bonus..

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
That's right ... That is exactly what I thought when you posted earlier that Crosby would not leave the Q for the WHA ...

That's a TON of money for a 17 year ..heck thats a ton of money for Joe Thornton who makes 5.5 mil or even Jerome Iginla at 7 mil..

Put in persective unless somebody hands him a HUGE cheque under the table, how could he not accept it, regardless of what we make of the WHA currently.??.

its not really to far fetched ... Heck at that kind of Money..and if the WHA succeeds ...What's to stop Crosby for palying 3 years in the WHA at 5 mil per and then joining the NHL at 20 lets say with 15 mil in his bank account and then he signs his NHL contract ..limited to 850 K per year and 150 K signing bonus..

Its true man :) He has options now...before he really didnt.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
Its true man :) He has options now...before he really didnt.

and another reason why his Q owner would have to slip him 5 mil gift under the table each year to stay in the Q..

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
and another reason why his Q owner would have to slip him 5 mil gift under the table each year to stay in the Q..

The WHA is looking shakey though.

You dont want to sign a contract and have the league fold 10 games in.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Round 11

81. Toronto - Daniel Carcillo LW (PIT)
82. Halifax - Jim Sharrow D (ATL)
83. Detroit - Patrick Ehelechner G (SJ)
84. Dallas (from Hamilton) - Steve Regier LW (NYI)
85. Dallas - Nathan O'Nabigon LW (---)
86. Québec - Maxim Lapierre C (MTL)
87. Florida - Erik Christensen C (PIT)
88. Founders' - Nigel Dawes LW (NYR)

Round 12

89. Founders' - Dany Roussin LW (FLA)
90. Florida - Patrick Eaves RW (OTT)
91. Québec - David Laliberté RW (PHI)
92. Dallas - Matt Greene D (EDM)
93. Hamilton - B.J. Crombeen RW (DAL)
94. Detroit - Curtis McElhinney G (CGY)
95. Halifax - Matt Smaby D (TB)
96. Toronto - Scott Lehman D (ATL)

Round 13

97. Toronto - Shay Stephenson LW (CAR)
98. Halifax - John Hecimovic RW (FLA)
99. Detroit - Greg Moore RW (NYR)
100. Hamilton - David Bolland C (CHI)
101. Dallas - Adam Pineault RW (CBJ)
102. Québec - Niklas Grossman D (DAL)
103. Florida - Shawn Belle D (DAL)
104. Founders' - Maxime Talbot C (PIT)

Round 14

105. Founders' - Dustin Byfuglien D (CHI)
106. Florida - Brian McConnell C (CGY)
107. Québec - Doug O'Brien D (TB)
108. Dallas - Brandon Dubinsky C (NYR)
109. Hamilton - Michael Tessier LW (---)
110. Detroit - Lee Falardeau C (NYR)
111. Halifax - Craig Kennedy RW (---)
112. Toronto - Ryan Garlock C (CHI)

Round 15

113. Toronto - Will Colbert D (OTT)
114. Halifax - Joey Tenute C (NJ)
115. Detroit - Mike Brown G (BOS)
116. Hamilton - Brian Bickell LW (CHI)
117. Dallas - François-Pierre Guenette C (VAN)
118. Québec - Marc-André Bernier RW (VAN)
119. Florida - Barry Tallackson LW (NJ)
120. Founders' - Colin Fraser C (CHI)

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
The WHA is looking shakey though.

You dont want to sign a contract and have the league fold 10 games in.

I agree that is possible .. but then Crosby could still return to the Q with a big bank account balance particularly if any of that money is in the form of a signing bonus..No rules in the CHL that a player can't return to Junior under contract.. Right??

Its risky but I just don't see unless it doesn't even start up at all that some players will not take the chance what do they have to loose .. and NHL player UFA or RFA without a contract still gets paid some and plays Hockey till a NHL team comes calling, and a Junior player simply returns to his CHL team ..

Curious if the new CBA will have some kind of clarification regarding the WHA in it.. Say a player Not eligible to play in the AHL due to age restrictiuons, plays a year in the WHA and then is it possible to join the AHL were before they couldn't???

Last edited:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
guys, please stay on-topic. it's the entry draft thread.

i like your discussion, but it would be nice if you could start a new thread to discuss it further.

thanks!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
zecke26 said:
guys, please stay on-topic. it's the entry draft thread.

i like your discussion, but it would be nice if you could start a new thread to discuss it further.

thanks!

Well it is Crosby regarding the WHA...isnt that topic related?

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
Well it is Crosby regarding the WHA...isnt that topic related?

yes it is as long as it's not about some Q owners who spent money on a pregnant russian and other holes in the NCAA. ;)

i have no problem with the crosby to WHA discussion, although maybe more people would share their thought if you would start a new thread.

but crosby to WHA is ok. :)

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Seachd said:
111. Halifax - Craig Kennedy RW (---)
112. Toronto - Ryan Garlock C (CHI)

About time some Windsor boys went. Garlock better not bother going, he's needed in Windsor next season, but Kennedy needs somewhere to play still.
:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad