WFAN:Bettman,McGuire,Peca and Clement interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh you didnt know, ScaredSensFan knows more about whats going on than Pierre Mcguire........

Vomiting Kermit*

Thanks for the link RangerBoy. :) Listening to McGuire right now.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
From what I could remember:

-Players need to deal in reality

-No way the players get anything close to what they turned down now come next September

-Some players very angry over the path of negotiations

-Got off the phone with a GM from a 'southern market' team that thought even 42.5 million was too high
-Not big money in Europe, not too many opportunites left

-LOTS of animosity towards NHLers over in Europe from Euro players that lost their jobs because of this lockout

-Expects hockey to be back in September, expects the cap offer to be 'draconian' (but hopes the owners come in around 35-40 million so as not to embarrass the players)

-Doesn't expect Bettman OR Goodenow to be out of a job by September, though he did imply that Goodenow could be on much shakier ground in a week or so depending on how the players react to this.

-Does NOT think there will be replacement players

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Short Recap:

(a lot of whats been said already)

Players should have taken this offer, will only get worse.

Owners could not afford SOFT cap of 49.5mill. Some didnt want 42.5!

Too many players are ill informed about WHY they are against a cap. Union does a bad job of disseminating info from top to bottom, players surprised by 24% cut, surprised by taking cap.

Europe not a viable option. (i whole heartedly agree. This is the biggest crock of sh-- in this argument, Europe is NOT MONEY FILLED)

The hosts dont know too much about hockey (sorry NY guys, but these guys are terrible. makes you realize how knowledgable our media is....well, maybe not all.)

Hockey will be here in September....cap of low 30's maybe.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
McGuire and Bettman's interviews were quite good and well worth the time to listen.

Bettman is much more candid in his interviews and answers the questions asked.

Goodenow's interviews [at his PC and on Fqn590] are filled with spouting the same rhetoric and doesn't really answer the question, but more of a political answer.

I actually gained some respect for Bettman after this interview. :dunno:

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
handtrick said:
McGuire and Bettman's interviews were quite good and well worth the time to listen.

Goodenow's interviews [at his PC and on Fqn590] are filled with spouting the same rhetoric and doesn't really answer the question, but more of a political answer.

I felt the same way. He has a good relationship with these guys on the fan and they held his feet to the fire on a couple of points.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
handtrick said:

goodenow is working for donald fehr and really has to be careful what he says

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
God damn. People are acting like each owner HAS to spend $42.5M. The cap number isn't a magnet, people. If a team only wants to spend $32M that is just fine.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
But the cap number IS a magnet.

The key is public perception of what is going on, not reality. In terms of public perception, if you arn't spending at or near the cap, you arn't trying to compete. And if your "not trying to compete", your not selling tickets at the same rate than if you "are trying to compete". You really think Philly could get away with spending 10 mil under the cap? or Toronto? You think that if Calgary trades Iginla when they are 10 mil under the cap that they will still be considered to be "competing"?

Of course not. The statement that teams will gravitate towards a cap is EXTREMELY acurate. Individual player contracts in the NBA demonstrate this perfectly. The individual caps, instead of controlling the salaries of 10 players, as made the salaries of about 50 players the same, ALL at the cap. Its now a matter of "respect" that you are paid a "max" contract. The same thing occurs with a salary cap on a teamwide basis. If you want to be considered as "trying", you HAVE to be close to the cap.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
WhalerBoy said:
Short Recap:
The hosts dont know too much about hockey (sorry NY guys, but these guys are terrible. makes you realize how knowledgable our media is....well, maybe not all.)

That's pretty acurate, Mike and Chris normally spend about 5 days a year on hockey. The sad thing is that they're not an exception down here, that's pretty much standard.

SENSible1*

Egil said:

The key is public perception of what is going on, not reality. In terms of public perception, if you arn't spending at or near the cap, you arn't trying to compete. And if your "not trying to compete", your not selling tickets at the same rate than if you "are trying to compete". You really think Philly could get away with spending 10 mil under the cap? or Toronto? You think that if Calgary trades Iginla when they are 10 mil under the cap that they will still be considered to be "competing"?

Of course not. The statement that teams will gravitate towards a cap is EXTREMELY acurate. Individual player contracts in the NBA demonstrate this perfectly. The individual caps, instead of controlling the salaries of 10 players, as made the salaries of about 50 players the same, ALL at the cap. Its now a matter of "respect" that you are paid a "max" contract. The same thing occurs with a salary cap on a teamwide basis. If you want to be considered as "trying", you HAVE to be close to the cap.

Egil,

Bang on, as usual.

Gary

I actually gained some respect for Bettman after this interview.

I listened to him during his press conference getting grilled and during the radio interview also. Damn, was I impressed. He answered fast, was articulate, and did'nt beat around the bush. You can't back this guy in a corner. He's a incredible spokesman IMO. And no, my last name is'nt Bettman incase you're wondering. LOL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
anyone notice that Bettman didn't rule out a Draft? He said "it wouldn't be fair if we gave the first pick to the same team that had it last year, so obviously we'd have to figure out an arrangement"

interesting.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002

Those are ridiculous examples. You chose two of the biggest spenders - of course they will spend at the cap. What does trading Iginla have to do with anything?

It's about competitive cycles. At any given time, you have teams rebuilding that wouldn't be spending nearly as much, as well as up and coming teams just competing for the first time with cheap young players. Neither of these sets of teams would be spending near the cap.

Your analogy between NBA players' demands for respect and NHL fan's demands for respect is extremely faulty. The idea that fans would boycott a team en masse because they were spending $36 million instead of $45 million, is ridiculous. Surely there wouldn't be enough fan outrage to justify spending an extra $15 million (factoring in the added drag of the tax).

Furthermore, when teams with payrolls of $30-$40 million started winning the cup on a regular basis, your entire theory that you have to spend the cap to complete would by shot.

Last edited:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Read my post again. I said nothing about teams actually being competitive, I said something about the perception. If you want to be percieved, at the start of a season, as a "competitive" club, you will need to spend close to the cap. This doesn't mean that you arn't competitive, only that you arn't PERCIEVED to be competitive.

I will also say that the cap isn't AS large a magnet as Bettman makes it out to be, but it IS a magnet.

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
If you don't believe the NBA, look at the NFL..

Public perception and the anticipation of ticket sales is why owners need to "police themselves" (I hate that term, because that isn't the reality -- the truth is they need an environment where public perception and budgetary constraints are eliminated and true decisions can be made -- just ask the Orioles with Sammy Sosa)...

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
nomorekids said:
anyone notice that Bettman didn't rule out a Draft? He said "it wouldn't be fair if we gave the first pick to the same team that had it last year, so obviously we'd have to figure out an arrangement"

interesting.

Interesting, but pointless. You cannot have a draft without a CBA in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad