Speculation: Western conference team with fans closest tonthe ledge?

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
What team's fans in the bottom half of the Western conference are ready to blow it up the most?

Edmonton with their high end offense and questionable defense and tenders?

Winnipeg with unproven unity and low GF v GA?

Seattle? Maybe not as far along the competitive curve as they thought?

Calgary? Big contracts and new blood doesn't seem 6ot is going to arrive together...?

Lots of holes in western teams this year...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What team's fans in the bottom half of the Western conference are ready to blow it up the most?

Edmonton with their high end offense and questionable defense and tenders?

Winnipeg with unproven unity and low GF v GA?

Seattle? Maybe not as far along the competitive curve as they thought?

Calgary? Big contracts and new blood doesn't seem 6ot is going to arrive together...?

Lots of holes in western teams this year...
I'd say Calgarys fans..They know the writing is on the wall..There are some really good players on the roster, and even if they manage to improve their play this season, they'll be middle of the pack, mediocrity.

They are veering into what the Canucks were doing 2014-17..Trying to win around a couple of veteran players, its a mixed message..They should stop messing about, because they are in a prime position to get a big headstart on a rebuild.

They need an influx of young elite talent...Problem is, its a Canadian market, and there's the probability the ownership does'nt want to go full San Jose Sharks with an empty building for consecutive years.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd say Calgarys fans..They know the writing is on the wall..There are some really good players on the roster, and even if they manage to improve their play this season, they'll be middle of the pack, mediocrity.

They are veering into what the Canucks were doing 2014-17..Trying to win around a couple of veteran players, its a mixed message..They should stop messing about, because they are in a prime position to get a big headstart on a rebuild.

They need an influx of young elite talent.
Have to treat Kadri and Hubs as sunk costs. Teams just do not retain more than like 15% on a contract that lasts 5 years or more. Kessel, OEL, Lu, Karlsson, etc. down the line.
Only if the deal expires within 2 years do teams go up to 50%. Burns was like 1/3 or something on his.

Too much can change in the next 7 seasons for Calgary to be on the hook for 1/2 of Hub or another 5 with Kadri. Markstrom for 2 more years after this, they could retain on if he were to waive.

Lindholm and Hanifin will return a good package. Tanev, Zadorov more rental prices. Think they sold early on TT, but he was a Sutter guy and wanted out I believe.

Reactions: MarkMM

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Calgary.

Edmonton's offense is too strong to allow the team to continue to wallow for too long. But unless they address their G and D, it won't get them far enough. And then all bets are off if Draisaitl and McDavid get to their contract years without that being addressed.

Kraken just need to keep doing what they are doing. They were bound to regress a bit this year, as a lot of guys had career seasons last year, but they are still building towards a solid future.

Winnipeg is harder to gauge. I think their team is doing all right, and they managed to lock up some core pieces (surprising). I don't think the contracts will age all that great, and they're not a contender, but they might be a playoff team. Their biggest concerns are their market. With management not-so-thinly-veiling threats about relocating if ticket sales don't increase, and attendance dwindling...that's a concern.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Calgary.

Edmonton's offense is too strong to allow the team to continue to wallow for too long. But unless they address their G and D, it won't get them far enough. And then all bets are off if Draisaitl and McDavid get to their contract years without that being addressed.

Kraken just need to keep doing what they are doing. They were bound to regress a bit this year, as a lot of guys had career seasons last year, but they are still building towards a solid future.

Winnipeg is harder to gauge. I think their team is doing all right, and they managed to lock up some core pieces (surprising). I don't think the contracts will age all that great, and they're not a contender, but they might be a playoff team. Their biggest concerns are their market. With management not-so-thinly-veiling threats about relocating if ticket sales don't increase, and attendance dwindling...that's a concern.
Jets , it’s more the corporate buyers than direct to fan tickets. They read the market wrong if they expected the fans to buy up what corporations passed in. Walk up crowd, I would not blame for passing given where the team was and lack of direction up til they extended their 2 guys.

I mean if that same scenario played out here is the fanbase expected to buy up those 3-4K of corporate tickets?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree on Calgary......too many guys 30-plus on bad contracts.....and some impending UFA's who've subtly indicated they won't be re-signing in Cowtown.

Craig Conroy has a huge job ahead of him. No team in the league is under more pressure to maximize the return for guys like Hanafin, Lindholm, Tanev, Zadorov etc etc.

For Flames fans, 'the ledge' is beckoning.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Without a doubt Calgary.

They're completely directionless at the moment yet seem intent on trying to both "retool" and content without any real star players to lean on. Essentially us prior to Petersson and Hughes' emergence. The bigger problem for them are Hubs and Kadri's contracts. Contrary to what a lot of people think, I do believe Kadri is moveable, albeit in the same way Karlsson was: a nothing return.

There's just no chance they ever get out of Huberdeau's deal. It's complete buyout proof and stretches all the way to 2031.

What I don't understand is why they haven't tried to make him the focus ala Florida. You'd think with a new coach they'd at least try more of a east/west rush system that far better suits his style but nope. It's still a watered down version of Daryl Sutter hockey.

They can't even properly tank given the disastrous trade with Montreal. Although, it seems inevitable the Habs will get Florida's pick.

The whole organization is a mess and I can't see any other fanbase as defeated. Edmonton is more of a shock but they'll climb out. There's no chance they stay this bad with McDavid and Draisaitl. Now if those two decide they've had enough. Oh boy...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Without a doubt Calgary.

They're completely directionless at the moment yet seem intent on trying to both "retool" and content without any real star players to lean on. Essentially us prior to Petersson and Hughes' emergence. The bigger problem for them are Hubs and Kadri's contracts. Contrary to what a lot of people think, I do believe Kadri is moveable, albeit in the same way Karlsson was: a nothing return.

There's just no chance they ever get out of Huberdeau's deal. It's complete buyout proof and stretches all the way to 2031.

What I don't understand is why they haven't tried to make him the focus ala Florida. You'd think with a new coach they'd at least try more of a east/west rush system that far better suits his style but nope. It's still a watered down version of Daryl Sutter hockey.

They can't even properly tank given the disastrous trade with Montreal. Although, it seems inevitable the Habs will get Florida's pick.

The whole organization is a mess and I can't see any other fanbase as defeated. Edmonton is more of a shock but they'll climb out. There's no chance they stay this bad with McDavid and Draisaitl. Now if those two decide they've had enough. Oh boy...
The Oilers have won a few in a row, and perhaps the "inevitable" rise is underway. But I think their fans are closest to the ledge.

Edmonton has a handful of tough road games coming up, and then a few key divisional matches at home. If they don't do well there, it may be that the only inevitable thing would be an eventual rise from the bottom of the standings up to a middling draft pick. Expectations at the start of the season were high, a rebuild is obviously out of the question and they already fired the coach. So what do they do?

Another few wins and I suppose it'll all be moot. But I don't see those wins as guaranteed.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
EDM to be honest, because I dont see Draisaitl staying because I see them narrowly making playoffs then fizzle in rd1. Their prospects are stale. Broberg and Holloway arent great, Bouchard is a Barrie, the rest of their high picks are gone. Their defense is leaky as hell, and they have 5 million in the minors. Skinner is a bandaid so they have to trade for a goalie, ....for Nuge? Can 2 guys really win you a cup? Calgary has prospects, and will be able to pawn off their roster for a headstart. that will happen at the TDL. and thats the direction going forward with Hub/Kadri as anchors.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
fanbase most on edge? maybe it's the canucks lol

if the wheels fall off (and i don't think they will) and we miss the playoffs, all bets are off. too much pent up shit from the benning years to handle a disappointing collapse from the top

most ready to blow it up, idk, calgary or minnesota probably

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad