Western Conference Round Robin (Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights, Stars)

What will the final standings be?

• 1. Blues

Votes: 97 32.9%
  • 2. Blues

Votes: 108 36.6%
  • 3. Blues

Votes: 69 23.4%
  • 4. Blues

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 1. Avalanche

Votes: 160 54.2%
  • 2. Avalanche

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • 3. Avalanche

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • 4. Avalanche

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 1. Golden Knights

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 2. Golden Knights

Votes: 64 21.7%
  • 3. Golden Knights

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • 4. Golden Knights

Votes: 58 19.7%
  • 1. Stars

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 2. Stars

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • 3. Stars

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • 4. Stars

Votes: 195 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
So far looks like the refs are calling a ton of penalties. That does not bode well for a grind it out type team in the Blues. I don't have high hopes for them in this format. But I'm also an eternal pessimist with this team.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The penguins lost to the red wings in the cups finals, and the hawks lost the sedins and luongo. They saw first hand what it took to make it to the cup finals. They also all added superstar level talent to their already talented core.
Capitals lost to The penguins and bruins and the blues lost to the hawks and Kings. Obviously that doesn’t have to happen but more often than not teams that win the cup have experience over coming adversity

None of this makes any sense. You’re basically excluding any experience the Avs have for... reasons. In 2018, the Avs lost to presidents trophy winners and reigning western conference champion Nashville Predators. In 2019, the Avs were one goal in a game 7 from the WCF themselves, and that came after beating the crap out of the favored Calgary Flames in round 1. Somehow none of this counts as experience or adversity.

Late additions only matter if you aren’t good enough as-is. Our team is solidly better than last year. Is it enough? Maybe. Maybe not. We’re about to find out. But you’re going to be the only one talking about a lack of playoff experience being a concern for this team. If anything if this team does make some noise in these playoffs, the amount of experience the Avs have will be cited as a contributing factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudden Nordique

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
None of this makes any sense. You’re basically excluding any experience the Avs have for... reasons. In 2018, the Avs lost to presidents trophy winners and reigning western conference champion Nashville Predators. In 2019, the Avs were one goal in a game 7 from the WCF themselves, and that came after beating the crap out of the favored Calgary Flames in round 1. Somehow none of this counts as experience or adversity.

Late additions only matter if you aren’t good enough as-is. Our team is solidly better than last year. Is it enough? Maybe. Maybe not. We’re about to find out. But you’re going to be the only one talking about a lack of playoff experience being a concern for this team. If anything if this team does make some noise in these playoffs, the amount of experience the Avs have will be cited as a contributing factor.
I have said multiple times I think they are significantly more talented this year and have them in the conference finals. Not discrediting what the avs have done, simply point out facts of previous Stanley cup champs. We’ll see if it’s correlation or causation. The blue line will be tested and see how they perform. Can’t wait for the avs fans to come chirping after winning tonight

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Crazy ending. Colorado played better than the Blues and deserved the win. I can’t get disappointed by the loss because I can’t find myself caring about the seedings. I just want to see my team get better each game. Tarasenko needs to score a goal.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Crazy ending. Colorado played better than the Blues and deserved the win. I can’t get disappointed by the loss because I can’t find myself caring about the seedings. I just want to see my team get better each game. Tarasenko needs to score a goal.

That’s the big thing for me too. Ideally you don’t finish last in the round robin, but I think mostly you just want to see your team looking sharp by the time the games start to count for real.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Is this something you actually believe? Because it's demonstrably incorrect as f*** and really just a stupid thing to say. You know damn well that none of us said or believe this, lmfao

So intellectually dishonest (or maybe just over-emotional?)
It was avs fans that brought up the hawks and King’s as proof they are going to win. I’m sorry you don’t like information that doesn’t fit your narrative. Glad they didn’t call the goal back.

Reactions: BlueMed

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The hawks were nothing until Hossa came in and showed them how to win in the playoffs. King’s didn’t win until they brought in Richards and carter. Do you think the avs today are on those teams level? Why didn’t you mention the most recent champs like the Pens or the caps who won on experience?

Well, if all that’s required is a few guys with cup experience, I guess it’s a good thing we got Burakovsky and Cole on the roster. I’m sure they’ll show em how to win.

None of those teams were thought to be on that level until suddenly they won a cup and they were. Most of this roster is on their 3rd straight playoff run. We might still have holes to fill (might not), but experience shouldn’t be an issue.
Looking at the list below I think it's fair to say that playoff experience has been a critical factor in pretty much all of Sakic's most recent roster moves and hires, and so we're doing pretty well on that front.
  • GM Joe Sakic: 2 time cup winner
  • Coach Bednar: AHL Calder Cup and ECHL Kelly Cup as head coach
  • Grubauer: cup winner with Washington
  • Cole: 2x cup winner with Pittsburgh
  • Burakovsky: cup winner with Washington
  • Bellemare: cup finalist with Vegas
  • Nieto: cup finalist with San Jose
  • Donskoi: cup finalist and conference finals with San Jose
  • Namestnikov: conference finalist with Tampa
That's 3 cup champions; 6 players who've been to the cup final; and 7 with at least 1 conference final appearance. Not to mention that the rest of the roster was 1 goal away from making the conference final last year.

Needless to say this team clearly has enough players that know how to win, and also a young core who have twice recently gotten a taste of the playoffs and are hungry for more.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
So far looks like the refs are calling a ton of penalties. That does not bode well for a grind it out type team in the Blues. I don't have high hopes for them in this format. But I'm also an eternal pessimist with this team.

I'd be very surprised if that trend continues into the real rounds.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Playoff experience means a lot less this year because none of these players have experience in this type of environment. Besides that, the Avs are a veteran bunch - this isn't a rebuilt team like the Canucks or Rangers. I don't buy that they aren't experienced enough to win this year.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
So while these "round robin" games aren't exactly pointless, they are more for letting these teams get their legs back, no?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
So while these "round robin" games aren't exactly pointless, they are more for letting these teams get their legs back, no?

Well that and if there's a matchup they really want, they could have their roster reflect that.

i.e. if they want to play a team that seeded higher, they could suit up more of their depth players and maybe even rest starters.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
It was game 7. Avs lost by a goal.

You know what I like to do? I like to read the rest of the thread and see if the post I want to respond to has already been addressed with what I want to say. Maybe you should try it out?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
You know what I like to do? I like to read the rest of the thread and see if the post I want to respond to has already been addressed with what I want to say. Maybe you should try it out?

That sounds really boring, I hope you don't use that on dating profiles for your interests.

Most people just go with "hanging out with friends" or "going to the beach".

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Man that avs game was literally as close as it gets. Shows how close the avs and the blues are in terms of structure, skill, and grit..

Which is really exciting for an avs fan (finally!) and scary for a blues fan! Hope to see them in the finals but I don't know if my heart can take it haha.

So glad hockey is back.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Which is really exciting for an avs fan (finally!) and scary for a blues fan!
200.gif

Reactions: DinnerMints

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad