Western Conference Round Robin (Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights, Stars)

What will the final standings be?

• 1. Blues

Votes: 97 32.9%
  • 2. Blues

Votes: 108 36.6%
  • 3. Blues

Votes: 69 23.4%
  • 4. Blues

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 1. Avalanche

Votes: 160 54.2%
  • 2. Avalanche

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • 3. Avalanche

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • 4. Avalanche

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 1. Golden Knights

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 2. Golden Knights

Votes: 64 21.7%
  • 3. Golden Knights

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • 4. Golden Knights

Votes: 58 19.7%
  • 1. Stars

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 2. Stars

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • 3. Stars

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • 4. Stars

Votes: 195 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hawks just threw a wrench into the idea of trying to win/ lose to setup series matchup. They look scary... yet you don't want the Oilers either... lose to avoid the Hawks, you may get the Oilers, win to avoid the Oilers you may get the Hawks.
The Hawks didn’t look that great against the Blues. The Blues just looked awful. I thought Edmonton looked ready to win that series. I’m more confident in the Oilers winning after seeing both in exhibition games, but taking exhibition with a grain of salt.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well their core had about a decades worth of playoff experience, most had already been to a conference finals and a couple had finals experience/rings already.

Your conn smythe winner hadn’t seen the playoffs in 5 years. Your goalie never had. The blues as a whole missed the playoffs the year prior.

The blackhawks made the playoffs once before going on their run. The Kings had a pair of first round exits before their first cup. The penguins only had one first round exit before their first SCF appearance.

Results show that experience only matters to the extent that they’ve seen playoff hockey at least once before. Beyond that, a long resume is overrated.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I do not see how sloppy play helps a team like Dallas.

They prefer low scoring games and focus on preventing teams from getting high danger chances against them.

If teams are rusty and sloppy, it turns into a lower scoring, tighter checking game. That benefits Dallas.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They prefer low scoring games and focus on preventing teams from getting high danger chances against them.

If teams are rusty and sloppy, it turns into a lower scoring, tighter checking game. That benefits Dallas.
I’d disagree with that conclusion. Rusty play a lot of times means defensive breakdowns which can lead to more scoring.

That’s why I think teams that rely more on speed and skill will have an advantage early. The tight checking style comes with practice and doesn’t happen right away.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Your conn smythe winner hadn’t seen the playoffs in 5 years. Your goalie never had. The blues as a whole missed the playoffs the year prior.

The blackhawks made the playoffs once before going on their run. The Kings had a pair of first round exits before their first cup. The penguins only had one first round exit before their first SCF appearance.

Results show that experience only matters to the extent that they’ve seen playoff hockey at least once before. Beyond that, a long resume is overrated

The hawks were nothing until Hossa came in and showed them how to win in the playoffs. King’s didn’t win until they brought in Richards and carter. Do you think the avs today are on those teams level? Why didn’t you mention the most recent champs like the Pens or the caps who won on experience?

Reactions: BlueMed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The hawks were nothing until Hossa came in and showed them how to win in the playoffs. King’s didn’t win until they brought in Richards and carter. Do you think the avs today are on those teams level? Why didn’t you mention the most recent champs like the Pens or the caps who won on experience?

Well, if all that’s required is a few guys with cup experience, I guess it’s a good thing we got Burakovsky and Cole on the roster. I’m sure they’ll show em how to win.

None of those teams were thought to be on that level until suddenly they won a cup and they were. Most of this roster is on their 3rd straight playoff run. We might still have holes to fill (might not), but experience shouldn’t be an issue.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I think they won on talent and not experience. Hossa, Richards and Carter, they added talent to an already talented team.

Reactions: um

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Every year a new type of team can win. Avs are the deepest forward team in the league.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The west is fairly weak this year. I don't see any other team outside of these 4 having any chance of winning the cup. One of the lower seeds could pull of an upset and win a round or two, but they won't be lifting the cup.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hawks just threw a wrench into the idea of trying to win/ lose to setup series matchup. They look scary... yet you don't want the Oilers either... lose to avoid the Hawks, you may get the Oilers, win to avoid the Oilers you may get the Hawks.

The Blues didn’t play with any physicality. They played like it was a scrimmage. I think they’ll bring a little More each game until the real ones start.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Well, if all that’s required is a few guys with cup experience, I guess it’s a good thing we got Burakovsky and Cole on the roster. I’m sure they’ll show em how to win.

None of those teams were thought to be on that level until suddenly they won a cup and they were. Most of this roster is on their 3rd straight playoff run. We might still have holes to fill (might not), but experience shouldn’t be an issue.
Hossa, carter, Richards, orielly, and burakovsky which is not like the other?

No doubt every team that wins the cup has talent... they also had experience on the top line and top defensemen.
How many times have the avs lost to the team that went on to win the cup in those playoffs? Knowing they lost to the best team.
No doubt they are one of the most talented teams, but we’ll see what happens when they face adversity

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hossa, carter, Richards, orielly, and burakovsky which is not like the other?

No doubt every team that wins the cup has talent... they also had experience on the top line and top defensemen.
How many times have the avs lost to the team that went on to win the cup in those playoffs? Knowing they lost to the best team.
No doubt they are one of the most talented teams, but we’ll see what happens when they face adversity

To be clear, prior to last year ROR had only played 3 more playoff games than rookie Cale Makar currently has under his belt.

The Avs were one goal (one offsides) away from the conference finals last year, which I guess would’ve made them bonafide by losing to the blues? Again, our team has 18 playoff games over the last two seasons, and that doesn’t include guys who came from elsewhere and had more. MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, EJ, Grubauer etc. have more playoff experience than Kane, Toews, Keith, Crawford, Doughty, Quick, Malkin, Crosby, MAF, etc. had prior to their first SCF appearance. We have 3 guys with cup rings on the 23 man roster. I don’t know where the idea comes from that this is a green team.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
To be clear, prior to last year ROR had only played 3 more playoff games than rookie Cale Makar currently has under his belt.

The Avs were one goal (one offsides) away from the conference finals last year, which I guess would’ve made them bonafide by losing to the blues? Again, our team has 18 playoff games over the last two seasons, and that doesn’t include guys who came from elsewhere and had more. MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, EJ, Grubauer etc. have more playoff experience than Kane, Toews, Keith, Crawford, Doughty, Quick, Malkin, Crosby, MAF, etc. had prior to their first SCF appearance. We have 3 guys with cup rings on the 23 man roster. I don’t know where the idea comes from that this is a green team.

Didn't the Avs lose in 6 last year? And weren't they losing when that goal was called off?

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Stars will definitely be last, but at least they play on my birthday (Aug 9th). Never would've thought in a million years I could say that.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Stars will definitely be last, but at least they play on my birthday (Aug 9th). Never would've thought in a million years I could say that.

With how hockey is being played right now, I don't think you or I can definitely say one way or the other on who will be 1st through 4th after the round robin. I am just hoping the teams don't kill each other before the real playoffs lol

*Edit* Happy early birthday as well

Reactions: Miro Heineken

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Dude the Kings won because Richards and Carter were good hockey players lol

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019

To be clear, I’m referring to Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and Tarasenko. I’m just saying the Avs have never been tested by a Stanley cup level team in the playoffs yet. Obviously they could still win it all this year, especially with how weak the west is. It’s hilarious these avs fans that think they are the hawks or Kings cup teams right now.
Yes the avs would be better suited for these playoffs if they would’ve went to the conference finals last year instead of watching the team they lost to get manhandled.

Reactions: BlueMed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To be clear, I’m referring to Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and Tarasenko. I’m just saying the Avs have never been tested by a Stanley cup level team in the playoffs yet. Obviously they could still win it all this year, especially with how weak the west is. It’s hilarious these avs fans that think they are the hawks or Kings cup teams right now.
Yes the avs would be better suited for these playoffs if they would’ve went to the conference finals last year instead of watching the team they lost to get manhandled.

The point isn’t that we think we’re the Hawks or the Kings or the Penguins. It’s that those teams didn’t meet your arbitrary baselines for experience either, and if anything, the Avs have more experience than they had at the time.

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017

Neither of those teams has a chance against any of the top 4 in a seven game series. They've got a puncher's chance in any one given game or maybe even a short series, but both lack the goaltending and defense to compete.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
The point isn’t that we think we’re the Hawks or the Kings or the Penguins. It’s that those teams didn’t meet your arbitrary baselines for experience either, and if anything, the Avs have more experience than they had at the time.
The penguins lost to the red wings in the cups finals, and the hawks lost the sedins and luongo. They saw first hand what it took to make it to the cup finals. They also all added superstar level talent to their already talented core.
Capitals lost to The penguins and bruins and the blues lost to the hawks and Kings. Obviously that doesn’t have to happen but more often than not teams that win the cup have experience over coming adversity

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It’s hilarious these avs fans that think they are the hawks or Kings cup teams right now.
Is this something you actually believe? Because it's demonstrably incorrect as f*** and really just a stupid thing to say. You know damn well that none of us said or believe this, lmfao

So intellectually dishonest (or maybe just over-emotional?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad