Western Conference Round Robin (Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights, Stars)

What will the final standings be?

• 1. Blues

Votes: 97 32.9%
  • 2. Blues

Votes: 108 36.6%
  • 3. Blues

Votes: 69 23.4%
  • 4. Blues

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 1. Avalanche

Votes: 160 54.2%
  • 2. Avalanche

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • 3. Avalanche

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • 4. Avalanche

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 1. Golden Knights

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 2. Golden Knights

Votes: 64 21.7%
  • 3. Golden Knights

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • 4. Golden Knights

Votes: 58 19.7%
  • 1. Stars

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 2. Stars

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • 3. Stars

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • 4. Stars

Votes: 195 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think the coaches are not going to approach the round robin games like ‘must win’ games. Sure, they’ll want to win. But I expect every team to make choices that are more geared to getting the roster ready for the ensuing 7 game series, even if it sacrifices their best lineup choice for the round robin.

To wit, I bet backup goalies get a start. I bet spare forwards and defenders get ice time in at least one game. For the coaching staffs, I think they’ll view this as getting guys up to speed and not get hung up on the seeding very much. As a Blues fan, I don’t expect them to win the round robin, and I think Berube won’t care very much.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
True the Blues are essentially invincible.

Nope, just tired of this rhetoric about the Avs being an elite contender without real evidence behind it. Potential does not equal evidence. Until the Avs actually do something in the playoffs, they have everything to prove just like the Blues before their cup run.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Nope, just tired of this rhetoric about the Avs being an elite contender without real evidence behind it. Potential does not equal evidence. Until the Avs actually do something in the playoffs, they have everything to prove just like the Blues before their cup run.
I think the Avs should be the Western Conference favorites. It doesn’t bother me if people think that, and I tend to agree with them. I hope the seeding works out so St Louis and Colorado wouldn’t meet before the WCF if they both get there. I think they were clearly the two best teams during the regular season.

Neither team has been at full strength during most of the regular season matchups this year, and I’m not putting much stock on the game 9/2 either.

There were other teams who were physical in the playoffs, such as Boston and Vegas. I think the Blues’ forward depth and ability to roll 4 lines is what allowed the Blues’ physicality to endure through 4 rounds when other teams showed signs of wilting.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This one game round robin are not going to show the strength of the Blues so I wouldn't shocked in the least if the Avs win the seeding games and the Blues don't.

Our specialty last year was getting better as a series went on while our opponent got worse. The Blues should shine once the actually playoffs start and it's a 7 game series.

Reactions: BlueMed

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I think the Avs should be the Western Conference favorites. It doesn’t bother me if people think that, and I tend to agree with them. I hope the seeding works out so St Louis and Colorado wouldn’t meet before the WCF if they both get there. I think they were clearly the two best teams during the regular season.

Neither team has been at full strength during most of the regular season matchups this year, and I’m not putting much stock on the game 9/2 either.

There were other teams who were physical in the playoffs, such as Boston and Vegas. I think the Blues’ forward depth and ability to roll 4 lines is what allowed the Blues’ physicality to endure through 4 rounds when other teams showed signs of wilting.

This is the best explanation of the Blues strength. The only team in the West that can compete with the Blues depth would be the Avs. They're structured differently though.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This is the best explanation of the Blues strength. The only team in the West that can compete with the Blues depth would be the Avs. They're structured differently though.
The timely goaltending was crucial to feeding the team’s confidence, but I would argue the shot suppression was the reason they won series 1-3. They had to use a different formula vs Boston, but in every other series the later games of the series were highlighted by long stretches where the opponent literally had zero shot attempts. In game 7 vs Dallas, people forget how badly the Blues dominated the course of play because the score was tied, but it was nearly a full period with zero shots. Winnipeg and San Jose had similar stretches. When you are trailing in an elimination game and can’t get shots on goal, the opponent is doing something right.

How did the Blues suppress shots? Great gap control with the forwards as a whole, every line, and big defenders who erased possession. Parayko was a monster in the playoffs in that regard. Those top 2 defensive pairings are large bodies with great sticks and good skating. The team structure left no room in the zone.

I’m not convinced Colorado has the answer to that, but first of all St Louis will have to replicate that intensity and buy-in. Not falling behind is the first step for a team trying to counter the Blues. I don’t think any other team in the league is as comfortable with a 1 goal lead.

Reactions: kagei

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I mean... They were literally one blown call away from the conference finals last year. The Blues were one goal away from being eliminated in the 2nd round last year as well.

One bounce here or there and each team could be in the reverse right now.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I mean... They were literally one blown call away from the conference finals last year. The Blues were one goal away from being eliminated in the 2nd round last year as well.

One bounce here or there and each team could be in the reverse right now.

You guys lost to San Jose, the same team we destroyed in the WCF. The score differential of our last 3 games with them was 12-2. It's absurd to say that "one bounce here or there" would have put you guys past San Jose, then St. Louis or Dallas, and then Boston. And people like to compare offense and defense and goaltending, but you guys don't have the intangibles. I'm talking about the resiliency and experience. Elite teams like Chicago and LA in years past were so difficult to beat because they not only had a complete roster (which you guys don't), but they also never stopped believing that they would win, regardless of the score. You guys don't have that just because you hope they do.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Blues fans getting pretty big in their britches after ONE cup run lol

I get it, but there's some pretty stupid stuff being proclaimed here

Plus none of these guys have played in 5 months. Everything you thought you knew about these teams could be wildly wrong.
Indeed
Few people how hard it is to repeat or win multiple cups. When you are the champ, everyone steps their game up against you.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Blues fans getting pretty big in their britches after ONE cup run lol

I get it, but there's some pretty stupid stuff being proclaimed here

Plus none of these guys have played in 5 months. Everything you thought you knew about these teams could be wildly wrong.

Avs fans getting pretty big in their britches after a second round bounce from the San Jose Sharks, a team that finished 3rd lowest in the standings this season. Must be that Cale Makar guy.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Avs fans getting pretty big in their britches after a second round bounce from the San Jose Sharks, a team that finished 3rd lowest in the standings this season. Must be that Cale Makar guy.
Lol you sound so unbelievably unintelligent spouting off like this.

Avs:

"do not have intangibles"
"have an incomplete roster"
"can't possibly have a never-say-die attitude"

Blues:

"destroyed the Sharks" in 6 games, including getting blown out in game 1. You said the sharks sucked this year anyways, so what are you bragging about having taken 6 games to beat them?
"never stop believing, no matter what"
"have resiliency and experience" that apparently no other team can attain?

God you are such a homer lol. Do you honestly believe the Avs suck or something? It's really not that bold to say they were very good this year... Maybe there's some other underlying reason for you wanting to put them down?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You guys lost to San Jose, the same team we destroyed in the WCF. The score differential of our last 3 games with them was 12-2. It's absurd to say that "one bounce here or there" would have put you guys past San Jose, then St. Louis or Dallas, and then Boston. And people like to compare offense and defense and goaltending, but you guys don't have the intangibles. I'm talking about the resiliency and experience. Elite teams like Chicago and LA in years past were so difficult to beat because they not only had a complete roster (which you guys don't), but they also never stopped believing that they would win, regardless of the score. You guys don't have that just because you hope they do.

Lmao, cant wait to bump this post in a few weeks

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->