Western Conference Round Robin (Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights, Stars)

What will the final standings be?

• 1. Blues

Votes: 97 32.9%
  • 2. Blues

Votes: 108 36.6%
  • 3. Blues

Votes: 69 23.4%
  • 4. Blues

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 1. Avalanche

Votes: 160 54.2%
  • 2. Avalanche

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • 3. Avalanche

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • 4. Avalanche

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 1. Golden Knights

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 2. Golden Knights

Votes: 64 21.7%
  • 3. Golden Knights

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • 4. Golden Knights

Votes: 58 19.7%
  • 1. Stars

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 2. Stars

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • 3. Stars

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • 4. Stars

Votes: 195 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Not sure if this is sarcasm but if not I'm sorry on behalf of the fanbase. IMO I can't answer how it will look Avs might as well be 1st but somehow it wouldn't surprise if we were 4th considering the situation we are actually in. I think a healthy Avs team should be 1st. I've learned after last year to not get cocky even if I really like the odds of my team (pretty sure Flames felt the same).

Should be obvious...

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Should be obvious...
Damn it I feel like this.
sarcasm.gif.5529d27eb864b4c5b863b9b3c1e5d17e.gif

Reactions: Tralfamadore

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The Avs won’t be able to handle the Blues physical playoff hockey. As long as the Blues bring it after the shutdown. The Blues physicality was unmatched in last years cup run.

Yeah - cuz they didn't have to face the Knights.

And I mean sure the Blues will pose a huge physical threat to the Avs, but to say they "won't be able to handle" them is a bit of a stretch. Shades of how the Avs "won't be able to handle" the 2019 Calgary Flames' juggernaut offence.

Not saying it's gonna be a blow-out either way, but we've got a couple of amazing squads battling there.

Reactions: Hasbro and GKG18

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah - cuz they didn't have to face the Knights.

And I mean sure the Blues will pose a huge physical threat to the Avs, but to say they "won't be able to handle" them is a bit of a stretch. Shades of how the Avs "won't be able to handle" the 2019 Calgary Flames' juggernaut offence.

Not saying it's gonna be a blow-out either way, but we've got a couple of amazing squads battling there.

I’d love to see a Blues/ Avs conference finals. Not even sure that’s possible with the seeding, but it would be great fun.

I’m not sure I’d compare the 2019 Flames to the Blues. The 2019 playoff Blues would manhandle them. GL to you guys and hope everybody stays healthy and we get to see a full playoffs.

Reactions: Bluesguru

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
The 4+ month break might benefit the Blues since they had a short offseason.

That said, I don't think there's much merit to arguing about Blues / Avs considering how much work they both have ahead of them in order for that matchup to come to fruition. This is such an odd and unprecedented setup that should make for some entertainment in a time when there hasn't been any in a while. There are only a few teams I would really be surprised to see lifting the cup this year. It's going to be weird and different.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’d love to see a Blues/ Avs conference finals. Not even sure that’s possible with the seeding, but it would be great fun.

I’m not sure I’d compare the 2019 Flames to the Blues. The 2019 playoff Blues would manhandle them. GL to you guys and hope everybody stays healthy and we get to see a full playoffs.
It’s very easy for Colorado and St Louis to meet in the conference finals with this format, in comparison to the usual system. The opponents are reseeded every round.

If Colorado and St Louis finished 1/2 in the round robin in either order, they’d be guaranteed not to meet unless it was the conference final. It could happen other ways too, but those would require upsets.

Reactions: Mike Liut

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs won’t be able to handle the Blues physical playoff hockey. As long as the Blues bring it after the shutdown. The Blues physicality was unmatched in last years cup run.
The Avs will handle any teams physical play just fine. The team is full of players who like to battle and don't shy away from the rough stuff.

The Blues and Avs are clearly the best teams of the west imo and hopefully will meet in the conference finals.

Reactions: byrath

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I honestly don't remember jack shit about the regular season so have no idea. When everything stopped and things got wild I stopped thinking about sports for quite awhile. I'm just excited to have ass loads of hockey to watch.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
My only complaint with the round robin is how far behind Dallas was in the standings, seems unjust to give them an equal shot at #1 or #2 seed. That's quite a gift to give for the sake of meaningful games to get playoff ready. I get regular season tie breakers are more likely to come into play but anything could happen in a three game window. Dallas could win an extra game and essentially jump 13 points in the standings for the #1 seed, come on.

St Louis and Colorado are still close enough to fight for first under a weighted system, and Vegas and Dallas are close enough to fight third. I think each team's three games would still have been quite intense.

But other than that I love this playoff format, they should adopt it permanently.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well this is likely going to be a crapshot since team will likely still have to use those games to get back into the rhythm of things

Reactions: Klank Loves You

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
As a Blues fan, I think the Avs’ speed will be trouble early for everyone. I assume the early games will be like early season games where the defense is looser and teams with speed will be deadly for those knocking off rust.

On the other hand, if the Blues have their grinding and disciplined system from the get go, perhaps they can stave them off.

Obviously, rusty goalies will be huge wildcards.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My only complaint with the round robin is how far behind Dallas was in the standings, seems unjust to give them an equal shot at #1 or #2 seed. That's quite a gift to give for the sake of meaningful games to get playoff ready. I get regular season tie breakers are more likely to come into play but anything could happen in a three game window. Dallas could win an extra game and essentially jump 13 points in the standings for the #1 seed, come on.

St Louis and Colorado are still close enough to fight for first under a weighted system, and Vegas and Dallas are close enough to fight third. I think each team's three games would still have been quite intense.

But other than that I love this playoff format, they should adopt it permanently.
It's not an equal shot. They lose all tie breaker scenarios.

They MUST go 3-0 if they want the #1 seed. They don't? They don't get it. The others all have scenarios that could get them #1 at 2-1, not Dallas.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

They MUST go 3-0 if they want the #1 seed. They don't? They don't get it. The others all have scenarios that could get them #1 at 2-1, not Dallas.
You still have OT loser points to factor in. Dallas could manage it if other teams lose in regulation and they lose in OT.

Reactions: MoPucks

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl

There are scenarios where Dallas could go 2-0-1 and still is the top seed. The top seed is definitely going to have to win at least 2 of the 3 games though.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I'm thinking Avs take it. I think these first games (and the play in series too) are going to be won by fast teams. The "Wear you down" mentality of the Blues and a few other teams won't be very effective right away in something like this. Once we get into the actual playoffs it might change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad