Western Conference Round Robin (Blues, Avalanche, Golden Knights, Stars)

What will the final standings be?

• 1. Blues

Votes: 97 32.9%
  • 2. Blues

Votes: 108 36.6%
  • 3. Blues

Votes: 69 23.4%
  • 4. Blues

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 1. Avalanche

Votes: 160 54.2%
  • 2. Avalanche

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • 3. Avalanche

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • 4. Avalanche

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 1. Golden Knights

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 2. Golden Knights

Votes: 64 21.7%
  • 3. Golden Knights

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • 4. Golden Knights

Votes: 58 19.7%
  • 1. Stars

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 2. Stars

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • 3. Stars

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • 4. Stars

Votes: 195 66.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Round-robin
Sunday, Aug. 2: Blues vs. Avalanche - Avalanche (1-0) defeat Blues (0-1) 2-1
Monday, Aug. 3
: Stars vs. Golden Knights - Golden Knights (1-0) defeat Stars (0-1) 5-3
Wednesday, Aug. 5
: Avalanche vs. Stars - Avalanche (2-0) defeat Stars (0-2) 4-0
Thursday, Aug. 6
: Golden Knights vs. Blues - Golden Knights (2-0) defeat Blues (0-2) 6-4
Saturday, Aug. 8
: Golden Knights vs. Avalanche - Golden Knights (3-0) defeat Avalanche (2-0-1) 4-3
Sunday, Aug. 9
: Stars vs. Blues - Stars (1-2) defeat Blues (0-2-1) 2-1

Final Standings
1. Golden Knights
2. Avalanche
3. Stars
4. Blues

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
i think we can all agree dallas is likely 4th, the rest is a mixed bag of who's your favorite team

Nah, I'm gonna be optimistic for now that the Stars from January-February will be back and they'll remember how to score. It might be the only time I get to feel optimistic for the whole playoffs, so I'm gonna run with it while I can! :D

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone else worried the intensity of these games won't match the play in rounds and their team won't be prepared come the actual playoffs?

Reactions: Jotexi

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thank God the poll is less head-spinny than the East round robin poll!

I actually voted in this one, easy to sort the options! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: BrettHullsToe

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
i think we can all agree dallas is likely 4th, the rest is a mixed bag of who's your favorite team

Likely? Nothing is predictable here. This is going to be the most random order.

If anything it's the clubs like Dallas that will be the most cognizant of not wanting a tough matchup in the next round. They'll be more focused on not playing Edmonton, whereas the contenders will be just trying to stay healthy for the whole tournament. I can see the Blues starting the slowest, it will be the hardest for them to give a f***.

Stars
Avs
Knights
Blues

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

If anything it's the clubs like Dallas that will be the most cognizant of not wanting a tough matchup in the next round. They'll be more focused on not playing Edmonton, whereas the contenders will be just trying to stay healthy for the whole tournament. I can see the Blues starting the slowest, it will be the hardest for them to give a f***.

Stars
Avs
Knights
Blues
The consensus is against that, but the consensus could be wrong. :dunno:

I'd be shocked though if the Stars end up #1... but that's me.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Stars
Avs
Knights
Blues
you could be right. you could also be contrarian. blues could easily end up last, but would that matter in the end? dallas is probably the most cognizant of the match ups they could face in round 1, but i'd argue that's what makes them likely 4th if i have to predict.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Roll of the dice in my opinion. Too many unusual variables. I think it’s going to be a scoring bloodbath as teams rush to try to re-lock down their systems and goalies try to get back into their routines.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
In a weird way these play-in and round robin series are going to be the start (hoping it runs through) of something we’ve never seen and may not see again, and I’m excited.

The * of course will be there for whoever wins it but I won’t look at it as a downplay to who does either.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The only way the Stars can be the 1 seed is if they go 3-0 which i think is unlikely.

(If they went 2-1, another team would have to go at least 2-1 with them, and stars would lose tiebreaker on regular season pts %).

Having said that i think the stars without a doubt could go 2-1 and be 2nd.

I get the sense all 4 round robin teams will care more about how quickly they can re-establish line chemistry and implement their defensive structures to be ready for game 1 of their WCQF series. Given home ice/being a higher seed means little i cant see anybof the 4 caring too much about their seeding finish...but will be wanting to establish their game style quickly.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I can't even vote. The first thing i thought about when looking at this poll was, "who gives a damn".

For me the results of these games don't matter at all moving forward. Whoever wins the cup has to beat anyone they face regardless and there's no home advantage in terms of fans. And you don't even know who you're going to play in the 1st round :laugh:

It's just all about getting a sweat on, timing back and some chemistry brewing. Might as well call them exhibition games in my opinion. And listening to some of the players interviews, i get the sense that they feel the same way.

As far as im concerned, i could easily see the Stars finishing #1. Not because i think they're the best, but if they're the sharpest team for whatever reason then why not.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The only way the Stars can be the 1 seed is if they go 3-0 which i think is unlikely.

(If they went 2-1, another team would have to go at least 2-1 with them, and stars would lose tiebreaker on regular season pts %).

Having said that i think the stars without a doubt could go 2-1 and be 2nd.

I get the sense all 4 round robin teams will care more about how quickly they can re-establish line chemistry and implement their defensive structures to be ready for game 1 of their WCQF series. Given home ice/being a higher seed means little i cant see anybof the 4 caring too much about their seeding finish...but will be wanting to establish their game style quickly.
Your analysis is not accounting for OT points. Dallas loses all tiebreakers, but they just need to end up with 1 more point than each other team. They could lose in OT and still manage that, but probably not likely.

There are 6 games, and either 2 or 3 points will be awarded per game. It’s a pretty crazy little system. All in all, I think this was the fairest way to have meaningful games for the non-play-in group without unfairly risking their standing. The fact that every round gets reseeded is what makes it work.

Reactions: catters078

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have an interesting thought, after reading a comment somewhere about a head coach planning to start several back-up players and a goalie in the round robin games.

I expect most teams will give their back-up one start. If you don’t, you are one play away from having to turn to a guy who hasn’t faced a live shot in 5 months or so. The difference between the 2nd and the 4th seed will seem less important to a head coach than getting his whole squad ready to play.

The results of these rankings could be down to whose back-up goalie performs the best. It will be interesting how coaches approach this.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have an interesting thought, after reading a comment somewhere about a head coach planning to start several back-up players and a goalie in the round robin games.

I expect most teams will give their back-up one start. If you don’t, you are one play away from having to turn to a guy who hasn’t faced a live shot in 5 months or so. The difference between the 2nd and the 4th seed will seem less important to a head coach than getting his whole squad ready to play.

The results of these rankings could be down to whose back-up goalie performs the best. It will be interesting how coaches approach this.

This is why I'm saying that the round robin favorites are going to be the teams that place more weight on seeding relative to long term preparedness. I can't imagine the Blues care as much about winning the round robin as the Stars do.

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Since the seedings were based on standings that are almost completely irrelevant at this point, I find it hard to care much about who gets 1-4 of the round robin session. The 10, 11, 12 seeds could come out more hot than 7, 8, 9 for example and actually be a more difficult series. I am just glad they are planning on re-seeding each round so that whoever ends up 1 & 2 wouldn't face each other until the conference finals (assuming they win their rounds).

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Why? It's a crap shoot of 3 games after months and months off. Anyone predicting any outcome is wild IMO.
I agree with you, but I still think it’s fair to say Dallas is likely 4th based on the tiebreaker alone. When it is a ranking based on 6 possible points, the tiebreakers will probably matter.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Don't see why there's a round robin in the first place. Avs are clearly the best team here. The other 3 teams are playing for 2nd place.
Not sure if this is sarcasm but if not I'm sorry on behalf of the fanbase. IMO I can't answer how it will look Avs might as well be 1st but somehow it wouldn't surprise if we were 4th considering the situation we are actually in. I think a healthy Avs team should be 1st. I've learned after last year to not get cocky even if I really like the odds of my team (pretty sure Flames felt the same).

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Anyone else worried the intensity of these games won't match the play in rounds and their team won't be prepared come the actual playoffs?
or god forbid some star player gets injured in this round robin!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->