Series Talk: WCQF: Winnipeg Jets Vs. Colorado Avalanche (COL lead 3-1)

What's your prediction for the series result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yea the Jets have a better goalie than the Avs, but the Avs have 3 players better than anyone on the Jets and just as good depth.

When the going gets tough for the Jets, Scheifele throws a bitch fit. Meanwhile Nate has that dawg in him. Avs in 6 or 7

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
This is the easiest series to predict; Avs win in six if goaltending is average, Jets win in five if Avs goaltending has been what it has been this season. Lol.

The Jets can play against the Avs quite well, but some of their wins were sort of flukey like when MacKinnon was out for one or two of those games. I don't think the regular season will showcase the disparity that happened, Avs will raise their game and I suggest that Bednar is competent enough to figure out what went wrong and make adjustments.

This doesn't mean I am undervaluing the Jets ability to shut down teams though, Lowry is one of the best in the league and will get to play a lot against MacKinnon due to having home-field advantage. I very much respect that ability and factor in Hellebuyck who quite easily is a top 3 goaler in the league. With that said, I do think Avs possess superior depth throughout, especially offensively. Has that shown up lately? No, not really, but I give Avs the edge in that ability on paper, I could see the Jets defensive core as a unit struggling against Avs speed, ferociousness, and talent to roll four lines one after each other. That doesn't mean the Jets do not have options as well, and can absolutely expose Avs defensive issues as well along with potentially super poor goaltending. That's exactly what they did during the season series, but again, Bednar is no doofus, he likely knows how Winnipeg won all the games and will come up with a gameplay against that. The problem then comes back down to goaltending where if Avs can overcome leaky goals constantly...so that question is a no.
Flukey cause MacKinnon didn’t play for 1 or 2 games? What are you talking about?! lol.

The cope is delicious.

The first game in Denver MacKinnon had a goal and an assist - involved in both goals in a 4-2 loss

The next game in Winnipeg MacKinnon had 2 assists on both Avs goals in a 6-2 loss to the jets

The third game was 7-0 but mackinnon was there, even though it didn’t seem like it.

Every game the Jets get better at beating the Avs and making MacKinnon less relevant.

What’s the next score gonna be 8 to -1 Jets? MacKinnon scores an own goal?

Can’t wait to find out!

Go jets go - beat them in 4giev!

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Yea the Jets have a better goalie than the Avs, but the Avs have 3 players better than anyone on the Jets and just as good depth.

When the going gets tough for the Jets, Scheifele throws a bitch fit. Meanwhile Nate has that dawg in him. Avs in 6 or 7
This isn’t basketball. It’s a team sport. One good line will be easy to shut down in playoff hockey.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It's always fun when a new team gets to learn about round 1 Nathan MacKinnon.

But I don't think the Avs can survive the goalie matchup here. Georgiev just doesn't have it anymore. Avs management was so focused on getting a second line center they forgot their starting goalie sucks.

Avs are the better team outside of goaltending. But goaltending matters too much. I've got Jets in 6.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It's always fun when a new team gets to learn about round 1 Nathan MacKinnon.

But I don't think the Avs can survive the goalie matchup here. Georgiev just doesn't have it anymore. Avs management was so focused on getting a second line center they forgot their starting goalie sucks.

Avs are the better team outside of goaltending. But goaltending matters too much. I've got Jets in 6.
We will call Seattle and hear all about it first hand before the series starts!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You can't really shut MacK down, all you can do is hope to contain him. If the Jets can limit his effectiveness they have a shot. This is really going to come down to the Jets sticking to the system that has given them success this year. If they do that and Helle brings his A game they have a shot.

Nov 24, 2006
I voted Jets in 6 but I have no idea how this actually plays out. Jets beat the Avs 3 times this year, but as they say, playoffs are a different animal.

Safe to say the three best players by position are MacKinnon, Makar and Hellebuyck. Anyone of them can have a big part of their team stealing the series.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I feel like the Avs putting Rantanan on the second line in the 7-0 game was an experiment to see if the Avs could get two solid lines going instead of just MacKinnon's line. The Jets second through fourth lines are all better than the Avs 2-4.
On D the Avs have Makar, but he doesn't look like himself right now so I wonder if he's been playing hurt. If Makar is at his best he'll create fits for the Jets, but if he plays like he has so far against the Jets this year the Avs are in trouble.
Goaltending isn't even a question. An average Helle is still miles better than either of the Avs two guys.
My thoughts are that if Helle is on fire this is a very short series. If Helle is average this series goes to 6. If Helle is brutal then the Jets can play Broissoit and get average goaltending, this series goes to 7.
This series is more about the Jets systems vs the Avalanche stars. It will be fun to see how it turns out

Last edited:

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
The Avs have superior depth? Their lack of depth makes their road record what it is. The Jets have a guy with 17 goals not even dressed. Their back up goaltender has a .928 sv%.
I've seen this depth thing raised a few times in this thread. Do people know the Jets had 14 players with 30 or more points? We have 30 point players on our 4th line and in the press box. Depth is a huge strength for this team.

Other than Helley, it's the upper end talent that is a weakness compared to the likes of MacKinnon and Makar (though I think Morrissey is closer to Makar this year than people realize). If the Jets neutralize that discrepancy in elite talent with their defensive system, this is a very winnable series.

Reactions: hn777 and TS Quint

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Have to say the rumoured start time of 8:45pm local on a Monday for Game 1 is pretty shitty.
It’s the playoffs. They always stagger start times so people can watch as many games as possible. They never push the eastern teams early to a 3pm start time though? Hmmmmm.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
This thread needs some friendly rivalry/ribbing to get things going:

People from Denver think a good night out is eating cheap tacos while getting splashed by cliff divers in a shitty Mexican restaurant.

They wait months just to overpay and eat there!

Get some class Denver!

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I feel like the Avs putting Rantanan on the second line in the 7-0 game was an experiment to see if the Avs could get two solid lines going instead of just MacKinnon's line. The Jets second through fourth lines are all better than the Avs 2-4.
On D the Avs have Makar, but he doesn't look like himself right now so I wonder if he's been playing hurt. If Makar is at his best he'll create fits for the Jets, but if he plays like he has so far against the Jets this year the Avs are in trouble.
Goaltending isn't even a question. An average Helle is still miles better than either of the Avs two guys.
My thoughts are that if Helle is on fire this is a very short series. If Helle is average this series goes to 6. If Helle is brutal then the Jets can play Broissoit and get average goaltending, this series goes to 7.
This series is more about the Jets systems vs the Avalanche stars. It will be fun to see how it turns out
Average goaltending?

Here's the NHL's top four goalies with a minimum of 20 games played:

1713373455338.png

Broissoit in the lead with a .928 Sv% and a 2.00 GAA. Three shutouts in 22 games. 14-5-2. Admittedly there's some sheltered play in there but I'm having trouble describing his performance as 'average goaltending'.

m.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
This thread needs some friendly rivalry/ribbing to get things going:

People from Denver think a good night out is eating cheap tacos while getting splashed by cliff divers in a shitty Mexican restaurant.

They wait months just to overpay and eat there!

Get some class Denver!
Yep. Time for some nasty trash talk:

1713373721250.png

Yeah, I went there. Things just got real, yo.

(If I went too far the 'report' button is at the bottom left. I leave myself at the mercy of the mods. Great bunch, those HF Mods.)

m.

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Average goaltending?

Here's the NHL's top four goalies with a minimum of 20 games played:

View attachment 853791

Broissoit in the lead with a .928 Sv% and a 2.00 GAA. Three shutouts in 22 games. 14-5-2. Admittedly there's some sheltered play in there but I'm having trouble describing his performance as 'average goaltending'.

m.
I didn't say the Jets had average goaltending. I said that even if they Jets only get average goaltending from Helle and Broissoit it is still miles better than the Avs goaltending. Sorry that it didn't come across clearly.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I didn't say the Jets had average goaltending. I said that even if they Jets only get average goaltending from Helle and Broissoit it is still miles better than the Avs goaltending. Sorry that it didn't come across clearly.
NP, no need for any apologies.

I'm irked that Bones didn't play Broissoit more in the last six weeks. Helle's career numbers in the playoffs are actually decidedly average and I suspect that's partly because he's ridden so hard in the regular season. Plus if Broissoit played a few more games he'd be eligible for the William M. Jennings trophy. First world problem, no doubt, but Croissant has been a big part of our regular season success and I would like for him to have some recognition for it.

m.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Epic series this gonna be. I voted jets in 6 but hard to see MacKinnon go out so no suprises here imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad