Western conference pre-view up now!

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Excellent job!

I agree that it will be a struggle for the LA Kings this year, but you never know what can happen.

Mike

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If St.Louis doesn’t win it this year, then the world is officially coming to an end.

Ah cripes Josh, like I needed yet another jinx to pile up on top of the rest! :help:

In terms of the Blues cap situation, with the off-season trades I actually think I can pretty much keep this team together for another season given the cap number will likely jump to $44 million next year like the NHL this year. After that though, it will be tough to keep the entire core.

Great write up - A fun read.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Ah cripes Josh, like I needed yet another jinx to pile up on top of the rest! :help:

In terms of the Blues cap situation, with the off-season trades I actually think I can pretty much keep this team together for another season given the cap number will likely jump to $44 million next year like the NHL this year. After that though, it will be tough to keep the entire core.

Great write up - A fun read.

Good work Josh.

I actually wanted to talk about the suggestion of the cap going up to match the NHL. I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but my impression is that we don't generate enough revenue across the league to support 30 teams at $40 million, never mind $44 million. Granted some team's total salaries will be below the cap, but overall I don't think we should look at increasing our cap limit.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Good work Josh.

I actually wanted to talk about the suggestion of the cap going up to match the NHL. I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but my impression is that we don't generate enough revenue across the league to support 30 teams at $40 million, never mind $44 million. Granted some team's total salaries will be below the cap, but overall I don't think we should look at increasing our cap limit.

The main issue with increasing the cap is that we keep HFNHL salary cap room in line with NHL salary room, given the players look for NHL value when negotiating their contracts. Our mandate isn't to ensure we maximize profits, but rather just keep salaries under control (relatively speaking of course). Even following the NHL's cap number can be challenging given we're always a year behind. Trying to figure out contracts without following the NHL scale will get even more difficult and time consuming IMO.

In terms of not enough revenue, there will be lose to another net influx of cash this season into the league when you factor in both endorsements and playoff revenue. And really, the majority of the teams in financial difficulty aren'y any where near the cap of $40 million, with the exception of a few teams without enough players and being dragged down by the cardboard cuts out of the world. That, and we can increase the financial settings on the SIM if we want to - which is a lot easier than trying to create our own pay-scale not in line with the NHL.

Either way, we should settle this, because I know I've been making decisions specifically based on the HFNHL cap following that of the NHL. We can't change it too late in the game, as several teams are already signing pending UFA's and RFA's, and I am assuming, based on the assumption it will be $44M.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Either way, we should settle this, because I know I've been making decisions specifically based on the HFNHL cap following that of the NHL. We can't change it too late in the game, as several teams are already signing pending UFA's and RFA's, and I am assuming, based on the assumption it will be $44M.

Agreed... A lot of moves I made last offseason were made with the assumption that the cap would be increasing next season. I could have sworn that there was a conversation somewhere along the line alluding to that being done. I guess it doesn't matter much to me as long as we decide quickly.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Agreed... A lot of moves I made last offseason were made with the assumption that the cap would be increasing next season. I could have sworn that there was a conversation somewhere along the line alluding to that being done. I guess it doesn't matter much to me as long as we decide quickly.

Fair enough. We'll have to project out revenues for the season, then, and do some trials with the higher revenue settings to determine our revenue bands and identify the right revenue setting to support a $44 million cap. Perhaps someone with a financial mind and time on their hands would like to give that a try? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->