Western Conference Playoff Teams

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In the last 4 years, there have only been 1 or 2 new teams that have made the playoffs, that missed them the previous year. The good news is that Detroit is gone so that opens up 1 spot. I think San Jose, Chicago, L.A., St Louis, and Vancouver are likely to be in for sure. I think Minnesota is likely in also, as they have to take 3 from each division. That leaves 2 spots, and I think Phoenix and Anaheim are the most likely, maybe Dallas. Who do you guys think will make it into the playoffs?

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
my guess:

1. Vancouver
2. Los Angeles
3. Anaheim
4. San Jose
5. Phoenix
--------------
6. Edmonton
7. Calgary

1. Chicago
2. St. Louis
3. Minnesota
--------------
4. Dallas
5. Winnipeg
6. Nashville
7. Colorado

Dallas could beat us out for 8th though with the easier division IMO. Feels weird to say we'll be fifth in the division and make the playoffs.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
You guys seem really high on Vancouver... Unless Torts does wonders there I personally see them falling quite a bit being in a serious division this season. Seems like they've started going stagnant the last few years and the Sedin's aren't getting any younger. To me they look like a (relatively) easy team to play against when you consider the other big opponents in the west. Maybe that's just me.

Also, did Anaheim do anything this offseason besides lose Ryan? I know you still can't push them aside, but considering our improvements I'll be pretty surprised and disappointed if they are ahead of us after 82 games.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Agree

You guys seem really high on Vancouver... Unless Torts does wonders there I personally see them falling quite a bit being in a serious division this season. Seems like they've started going stagnant the last few years and the Sedin's aren't getting any younger. To me they look like a (relatively) easy team to play against when you consider the other big opponents in the west. Maybe that's just me.

Vancouver's points have been inflated the last couple of years due to playing in a weaker division. Pacific is going to be a rude awakening for them. They don't have a Hanzal to match up against Kopitar, Getzlaf, or Thornton and will pay. They are worse than they were last year and playing against better competition.

To me LA is still the best in west. Chicago won it all but has been dismantled a bit. Ducks looking pretty scarry as well. SJ and Blues are wild cards, they could be really really good or fail hard, never know.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
So many question marks.

Edmonton looks pretty strong on paper. So much natural talent. But they still have a thin blue line (that is getting stronger) and questionable goaltending. Also the little boys on that team are going to have a hard time with some of the Pacific players they will be seeing more often. I think they could squeak in. But at the very least even the playing field a little bit. I think they would make the playoffs if they were in the Central Division.

Ducks lost Ryan but gained a player who will be able to come close to Ryan's production next season. The Souray injury will hurt. Goaltending is always a question mark. I feel Ducks and Oilers will be fighting for that last spot.

Vancouver is going to have a rude awakening. They wont be at the top, but I can't see them missing the playoffs yet. The addition of Torts could be really good, and just what the team needs to compete in the division, or it could be poison.

I can't predict the Pacific but I do believe 5 teams will be in the playoffs from it.
I think Dallas has the upper hand on Minnesota, but that is almost a wash. I also think Nashville and Colorado are underrated this year. Which makes the Central hard to predict as well.

Long winded but what I am getting at is that I have no clue of what will happen.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ducks lost Ryan but gained a player who will be able to come close to Ryan's production next season. The Souray injury will hurt. Goaltending is always a question mark. I feel Ducks and Oilers will be fighting for that last spot.
Who did the Ducks add that will replace Ryan?

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Silfverberg

I was thinking Ryan played on the second line last year. They only put the big three together when they were down. Don't think Silfverberg can carry the second line like Ryan did. He may be able too, but this will truly be his first real year in the NHL despite being 22.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I don't like making predictions, so to answer the OP, "we'll see."

I wouldn't bet the house on Vancouver still being one of the best in the Western Conference. Roberto Luongo lost his job last year and I think everyone knows he's still there only because his contract was less dumpable.

Also think a LOT of folks might be sleeping on Dallas. They've got sooooooo much young talent up front and they have one of the best goalies in the world, and so if their young defense makes progress, Lindy Ruff should be able to fill in whatever's left of the gaps.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Silfverberg. Not a replacement yet. But he should be able to put 40+ points if he plays with a Perry or Getzlaf.
Ok I thought maybe I missed something. I don't know, I suppose it's possible but I'd be very surprised if Silfverberg can replace Ryan, especially this coming season.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't like making predictions, so to answer the OP, "we'll see."

I wouldn't bet the house on Vancouver still being one of the best in the Western Conference. Roberto Luongo lost his job last year and I think everyone knows he's still there only because his contract was less dumpable.

Also think a LOT of folks might be sleeping on Dallas. They've got sooooooo much young talent up front and they have one of the best goalies in the world, and so if their young defense makes progress, Lindy Ruff should be able to fill in whatever's left of the gaps.

I think Vancouver still has a ton of talent and Lu will have something to prove this year. They might not be in the top half record wise in the west, but I still think they are in the playoffs, even with a much tougher schedule.

I think the loss of Ryan and suspect Goal tending will hurt Anaheim, I can see them missing the playoffs.

Edmonton still has suspect defense and poor goal tending, lots of young talented forwards, but I think they miss the playoffs again.

I can see L.A. taking a step back with the loss of Bernier and Scuderi. That has to hurt them, but I still think they make the playoffs.

Phoenix has to be the most improved team in the west with the Ribs signing, should help get them in the playoffs.

But, who knows, a hot goalie or key injuries can carry or crush a team, anything can happen, it should be fun...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad