Series Discussion Western Conference Finals: Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights | STARS WIN 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Let's just close this out tonight and get the extra day for everyone to rest.
Also let's hope that if we get a lead is not too big so we don't have to worry about Reaves head hunting more than his norm

Last edited:
Reactions: Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
With his demeanor I really don’t think the stage would be too big for Dellandrea. I think he would be fine and give the team a lot more grit and skill than Dowling.

Many fans feel this way about prospects. (Who are the most popular players in town? Back up QB, back up goalie, and the youngest untested prospects)) It would be interesting to see the actual % of total newbs who become legends like Clint Longley or more recently and in hockey, Kivi. I doubt it is very high.

Reactions: Elysian

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
A few stray thoughts:
  1. I'm happy for GMJN2.0. He was undoubtedly feeling some heat. By all accounts, including a very recent Bowness interview, he's an overall great dude and manager, and he treats people well. And yet, it's a results-oriented business, for better or worse. I've been cheering for him to have some success for a number of reasons, so I'm glad for him to be able to see some of the fruits of his labors, so to speak. Great job, 'stache!
  2. I'm happy for Denis Gurianov. I can't imagine what young players go through, with all of the constant scrutiny that our social media age and culture produces. We all know what it's like to be compared to other people, and it really stinks. Glad for him, that he's come along at his own pace, and that he's becoming the player that many saw he could become. Good for him!
  3. I'm happy for Jamie Benn. Leadership it tough, and anyone who's been in a position of leadership knows what I'm talking about. As the leader of this team, he deserves the criticism as well as the praise. The guy has put this team on his back and proven that he's still got game in this league. If he can lift the Cup this year, I can't imagine the burdens that'll fall off his back as a player and a leader.
  4. I'm happy for all you Stars fans out there. Regardless of how this plays out, it has been a tough 10+ years of fandom. Goes to show you what a lack of clear direction can do to an organization and to those connected to it. Enjoy the win, folks!
#GoStars

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Courtesy of our friends at the Stars /r:

6mvpy4vm98n51.jpg

serp

Jan 17, 2016
thank god reaves is finally out. i don't have to hear about what a great player he is and how he is a great tough nosed player who always hits legally

I was already starting to get annoyed again in the first when Reaves had that hit where he threw Lindell into a Vegas player and the commentators started to rant about how great Reaves is again. Thankfully that was the last time i heard about that.

Dudes a 4th line loudmouth cheapshot artist who plays less than 10 minutes a night sometimes even only 5 but for some reason the media loves the guy.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I was already starting to get annoyed again in the first when Reaves had that hit where he threw Lindell into a Vegas player and the commentators started to rant about how great Reaves again. Thankfully that was the last time i heard about that.

Dudes a 4th line loudmouth cheapshot artist who plays less than 10 minutes a night sometimes even only 5 but for some reason the media loves the guy.
i don't understand it. the motte hit was egregious. had he actually made contact with the head like he was trying to it would have been horrible. for as dodgy as tom wilson at least he can skate really well for his size and has shown an ability to be an offensive threat, hes just a bit of knucklehead.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I feel sorry for anyone having to watch the NBC feed. Sportsnet was annoying about Reaves too, but Cuthbert is the best play-by-play guy in the business and it seemed like he went out of his way to mention when Reaves was benched.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
ducks fan here

hoping you guys go all the way so i can see perry and cogliano get to lift the cup. especially cogs, guy has been an absolute warrior his entire career and a cup would be the cherry on top

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I forgot Cogs was in that group with Bowness and Captain America that didn't have a Cup.

I could see vindictive and often naked @M88K trying to fight someone to keep Cogliano's name off the Cup should Dallas win 4 more games.

:sarcasm:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I forgot Cogs was in that group with Bowness and Captain America that didn't have a Cup.

I could see vindictive and often naked @M88K trying to fight someone to keep Cogliano's name off the Cup should Dallas win 4 more games.

:sarcasm:
Oh I'm ready to throw down:cf:

Seriously though I'm OK with Cogliano getting his name on the Cup as long as it is this year, and this year only

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I guarantee it's an automatic win on your part if you come to the fight sans clothing. No one is fighting the naked guy to keep Cogliano's name on the Cup.

Yo don't have to fight smart or dirty. Sometimes it's just about being crazier than the other guy.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I feel sorry for anyone having to watch the NBC feed. Sportsnet was annoying about Reaves too, but Cuthbert is the best play-by-play guy in the business and it seemed like he went out of his way to mention when Reaves was benched.
Love cuthbert

Reactions: Kipper 17

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I guarantee it's an automatic win on your part if you come to the fight sans clothing. No one is fighting the naked guy to keep Cogliano's name on the Cup.

Yo don't have to fight smart or dirty. Sometimes it's just about being crazier than the other guy.
I was just going to hulk hogan my clothes off prefight for dramatic effect

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Reading through some of the post-game comments by Vegas, I find myself disappointed.

MacKinnon talks about supporting Bowness, Nova Scotia is behind him, and hoping he gets a Cup. Reilly Smith whines that they controlled 90% of the play, and DeBeor whines about a bullshit penalty, his words, that he'd throw a fit if his team was on the other end of the stick and didn't get that CORRECT call.

Vegas didn't control 90% of the games. They truly dominated some periods, but most periods, even with more shots, they were shooting from the perimeter and not getting anyone to the net. Dallas didn't simply win because of timely goals as Smith said. I would probably give them the overall edge and say that Khudobin steals the series, but they were not substantially the better team most of the time. You don't control 90% of a series and lose 1-4.

Nice look sore loser. Immediately after the game, I really came away appreciating Vegas and thinking they were a great team. They still are, but at least 2 of them are sore losers and whiners.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Vegas is/was a super cocky team that expected to move to the finals and now that they don't and weren't actually that close to winning the WCF they can't understand what happened to them.

You can even see how the Knights fell apart in Game 5 after the Stars scored their first goal. The team went into shockmode . The last 10 minutes of the third period was all Dallas and Vegas didn't understand what was going on including the coaching staff.

This might be a major character flaw considering how the team also fell apart in the first round last season in Game 7 .

Vegas went into full meltdown mode there against the Sharks .

Reactions: mrjiggyfly and LT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Toates was the greatest hire this organization ever made.

Agreed. Especially since he and my brother are really good friends and he gives us free tickets to some games :laugh:but yeah the video stuff is okay too I guess

Jk hes gotta be one of the best in the NHL at his job. The trust and friendship the players have with him is just great and I feel like plays a big part in what hes able to capture. That Athletic article on him that came out recently was an interesting read. He wasn't even supposed to go to the bubble originally so I cant even imagine how bad the content would be coming out of there had he not gone

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That article got me excited for what's to come, especially with where we are today. Toates said 95% of his stuff hasn't even been shown yet, and it will come out after the playoffs conclude ... hopefully with a silver chalice.

The video they produce could be epic. I can't wait to see it. He said it will also focus on bubble life.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Jk hes gotta be one of the best in the NHL at his job. The trust and friendship the players have with him is just great and I feel like plays a big part in what hes able to capture. That Athletic article on him that came out recently was an interesting read. He wasn't even supposed to go to the bubble originally so I cant even imagine how bad the content would be coming out of there had he not gone

That article got me excited for what's to come, especially with where we are today. Toates said 95% of his stuff hasn't even been shown yet, and it will come out after the playoffs conclude ... hopefully with a silver chalice.

The video they produce could be epic. I can't wait to see it. He said it will also focus on bubble life.
I'm not a person that believes in fate, but there are quite of few cues that make me think this is the year.

- Slow start, amazing middle season run, slow ending that carried over into the round robin games.
- Monty being fired and Bowness (most NHL games coached) taking over for possibly 1 last ride.
- Winter Classic, epic win where they come from behind. Playing the 1st NHL game of 2020, and with the SCF we'll be playing the last game of 2020.
- Dobby coming in and taking over for Bish (and all but predicting at the end of 2019 winning it all this year:
)

There's just so many great story lines and I can't wait to see the footage. Obviously if we win, it'll be better, but we'll also get more footage.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Vegas is/was a super cocky team that expected to move to the finals and now that they don't and weren't actually that close to winning the WCF they can't understand what happened to them.

You can even see how the Knights fell apart in Game 5 after the Stars scored their first goal. The team went into shockmode . The last 10 minutes of the third period was all Dallas and Vegas didn't understand what was going on including the coaching staff.

This might be a major character flaw considering how the team also fell apart in the first round last season in Game 7 .

Vegas went into full meltdown mode there against the Sharks .

I think you guys are right. VGK was an overconfident bully led by Peter the Great that wasn't ready when the opposition punched back. He talked about how Vegas could never get that next big goal---Except that they did in Game 5 to go up 2-0. Then they collapsed. He has to take some responsibility for that. He obviously can coach. But I was pissed when he came in and kicked Fleury to the curb here. Fleury was the face of the franchise. I'm not saying he's better than Lehner. But he deserved a smoother landing out here. I just think that everybody here in Vegas wants to kiss this guy's Stanley Cup rings--all 0 of them. I can't believe how many friends of mine out here have just bowed down before this guy and his giant ego.
Dallas is a great story. They play entertaining hockey and obviously have so many individual sub-stories that have been great to follow. That Kiviranta and now Khudobin "We're not going home" is outstanding. Benn is captaining the way that a captain is supposed to captain. Obviously Bowness has turned out to be the right guy for the unique situation and circumstances. It would be great if they can finish it off. If it's Tampa, somebody put a shoulder into Kucherov's sternum!

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Imagine 12 months ago telling someone that Denis Gurianov would be a huge part in our team making the cup finals leading our team in goals in the playoffs and regular season. What a weird sport

Reactions: Johno

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Imagine 12 months ago telling someone that Denis Gurianov would be a huge part in our team making the cup finals leading our team in goals in the playoffs and regular season. What a weird sport

with Dobby has our starter and Kivi being a playoff hero.

mindf***

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad