West vs East

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
The difference between these conferences is ridiculous i mean take for example Riga,if we were in the East with 40 points we would be in a relatively safe PO spot,but in West we are fighting tooth and nail to get a PO spot.
Also the strongest team in the West is CSKA with 78 points while the strongest team in the East is Metallurg with 66 points,that is a difference of 12(!) points.

So the question is do you guys think that GC cup winner will be from the west,since in the east the competition is not that strong thus not preparing teams like Magnitka,Ak Bars and Avangard for the huge grind of the play-offs?

E1ement

Jan 17, 2012
Since both conferences are competitive i don't really care about differences, because first 3 rounds of GC will be inside them. West and East will meet in finals and probably in All-Star.

To judge about finals, lets take 3 big teams in East (Ak Bars, Avangard, Magnitka) and analyse their results against CSKA, SKA, Jokerit and Dynamo so far:

Avangard is 5 of 9 points against them
Ak Bars - 4 of 9
Magnitka - ridiculous 14 of 15

Just by that stats Magnitka will be thinking about even sweep in finals, Avangard and Ak Bars is a tight series that could end in 7. So i think finals will be fine.

I think the big difference is about teams that battle for 6-8 place, western are stronger that eastern by a lot. And by that fact another difference is between 1st round of play-off, eastern will be boring comparing to western.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Since both conferences are competitive i don't really care about differences, because first 3 rounds of GC will be inside them. West and East will meet in finals and probably in All-Star.

To judge about finals, lets take 3 big teams in East (Ak Bars, Avangard, Magnitka) and analyse their results against CSKA, SKA, Jokerit and Dynamo so far:

Avangard is 5 of 9 points against them
Ak Bars - 4 of 9
Magnitka - ridiculous 14 of 15

Just by that stats Magnitka will be thinking about even sweep in finals, Avangard and Ak Bars is a tight series that could end in 7. So i think finals will be fine.

I think the big difference is about teams that battle for 6-8 place, western are stronger that eastern by a lot. And by that fact another difference is between 1st round of play-off, eastern will be boring comparing to western.

Pretty useless to judge by half a regualar season. I the playoffs that all will mean exactly zero.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The difference between these conferences is ridiculous i mean take for example Riga,if we were in the East with 40 points we would be in a relatively safe PO spot,but in West we are fighting tooth and nail to get a PO spot.
Also the strongest team in the West is CSKA with 78 points while the strongest team in the East is Metallurg with 66 points,that is a difference of 12(!) points.

I feel the pain of Riga fans, but you are missing important points. The most important is the new schedule. The schedule is very west-friendly to say the least. How many trips to the far east will SKA make this season? Yes, overall the west is a tad stronger this time, but that happens. Teams don't always go up. And no, Riga wouldn't be better off in the east. If you think you'd survive an eastern grind better you are all wrong.

So the question is do you guys think that GC cup winner will be from the west,since in the east the competition is not that strong thus not preparing teams like Magnitka,Ak Bars and Avangard for the huge grind of the play-offs?

I've had a good chuckle over that one, sorry. So the perennial chokers SKA, a team that is in it's first truly strong year - CSKA, first year in the league Jokerit want to teach AkBars, MMG, Avangard and Salavat for that matter something about a tough playoff grind?

If anything there is one team that is really proven playoff tough in the west and it's Dynamo Moscow.

It's absurd to think you could predict who wins in the finals. But believe me, playoffs in the east will be no cake walk. I'd easily prefer to have a series aginst SKA than aginst Salavat, no matter how many regular season points they have.

E1ement

Jan 17, 2012
Pretty useless to judge by half a regualar season. I the playoffs that all will mean exactly zero.

You don't get it. I'm talking about West vs East, not about play-offs. You can't predict the score and the winner, but you can predict if finals would be close.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You don't get it. I'm talking about West vs East, not about play-offs. You can't predict the score and the winner, but you can predict if finals would be close.

so you say the finals won't be close? seriously? well, maybe a sweep for the east, if somehow Dynamo Moscow is not in the finals, yes.

E1ement

Jan 17, 2012
so you say the finals won't be close? seriously? well, maybe a sweep for the east, if somehow Dynamo Moscow is not in the finals, yes.

Look at the question of the topic that says if GC winner will be from west. And i don't think Dynamo can sweep, with guys like Zherdev, Karsums, Karpov and Yeryomenko playing decent. Especially the goaltender situation, they have to improve that.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011

Ah come on... CSKA would be a hard piece to swallow too. Don't you think so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad