West is not best

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
I just look the remaining schdule of MTL, CAR, CBJ, SJS, NSH, WPG & STL. And since these teams are all betweent 94 and 97 points, and don't play each other even once in their last games; there is still a slim chance that Montreal misses the playoff despite having a points total that would have them finish 2nd in the west.

This would be bonkers, this would be chaos. It's awesome.

I'm Habs fan, and I still badly want this scenario to happen. You can do this, hockey mystical forces.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Montreal could've taken Detroit's spot in the West back in 2013, but their loss I guess. Plus the Habs made the playoffs in 2010 over 3 teams in the West that had better records. It all comes back around eventually.

Executive Summary:

i) West is Best

ii) World remains Round

v?) Some are Idiots

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The West is just having a weak year and saving it all for the playoffs.
:thumbu:

hD3D196FD
Did you pick that from Sarah Palin's campaign? I miss the fun.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
East has 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league right now. So it’s really just Eastern teams stealing points from the poor. The West has a lot more parity and won something like 60% of the games vs the East last season, so that tells me a lot more than a points race between wild card teams.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
At least it's not 1987-88 when this happened:

• Toronto finished fourth in the Norris Division with 52 points in 80 games (21-49-10), edging Minnesota's 51 points (19-48-13) to make the playoffs
  • In the Patrick, the Rangers finished 5th with 82 points (36-34-10, lost tiebreaker on wins with 4th place Devils who finished 38-36-6) and the Penguins 6th with 81 points (36-35-9) to miss the playoffs in an era where only 5 teams missed out of 21 teams.
  • The North Stars, finishing last and therefore picking first in the non-lottery draft, got Mike Modano
  • The Leafs, making the playoffs then losing in 6 and therefore picking 6th as the lowest-point first round loser, picked Scott Pearson (passing on Martin Gelinas who went 7th, Jeremy Roenick who went 8th, Rod Brind'Amour who went 9th, and Teemu Selanne who went 10th).
It can always be worse!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
East has 4 of the 5 worst teams in the league right now. So it’s really just Eastern teams stealing points from the poor. The West has a lot more parity and won something like 60% of the games vs the East last season, so that tells me a lot more than a points race between wild card teams.

Last season is last season, because I got the East with a .567 point percentage vs. the West compared to the West with a 0.541 point percentage vs. the East.

I'm pretty sure the East is 247-183-48 vs. the West compared to the West being 231-192-55 vs. the East this year.

East is better even if it has less parity. The reverse was true something like 5 years ago.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Last season is last season, because I got the East with a .567 point percentage vs. the West compared to the West with a 0.541 point percentage vs. the East.

I'm pretty sure the East is 247-183-48 vs. the West compared to the West being 231-192-55 vs. the East this year.

East is better even if it has less parity. The reverse was true something like 5 years ago.
I don’t doubt that the East is better this season especially with that juggernaut Tampa. But historically, the West has usually been the better conference for as long as I’ve been watching hockey. Although to be fair, the Stanley Cup has been going to the East the last few years.

But it can change every year. Last year the West dominanted, this season it’s the east on top. It’s cyclical and who knows how things will go next season.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
The Atlantic has 3 teams worse than the worst Central team. Pretty sure that's where all of Montreal's extra points over Colorado come from...

Comparing points is pointless (;)) unless all teams play the same schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad