Werenski or McAvoy?

Werenski or McAvoy?

• Total voters

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Both extreme studs on the blue line for their respective teams. Who would you rather have moving forward? And why?

Career numbers:

McAvoy —

8 goals.
30 assists.
38 points. ( 0.54 ppg )
+21.
70 games.

Werenski —

29 goals.
63 assists.
92 points. ( 0.56 ppg )
+36.
165 games.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
You could probably count on one hand the people I'd trade McAvoy for (factoring in age and organizational needs). Werenski is an absolute stud, but hes not on that list.

Reactions: SantaClaus

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
You could probably count on one hand the people I'd trade McAvoy for (factoring in age and organizational needs). Werenski is an absolute stud, but hes not on that list.
This is why I think McAvoy is overrated, even while being really good.

Players with similar or greater value, factoring in age, contract status (McAvoy likely to get ~7-8M+ next year), projected ability, etc. off the top of my head:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews
Hall
Scheifele
Jones
Seguin
Eichel
Barkov
Barzal
Provorov
Marner
Point
Forsberg
Dahlin
Laine
Aho
Pettersson
Gaudreau
Svechnikov
Heiskanen
Rantanen
Dubois
Hischier
Keller
M. Tkachuk
Werenski
Chabot

Additionally, all of...

Crosby
Malkin
Karlsson
Burns
P. Kane
Ovechkin
Kucherov
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Marchand
Bergeron
Kopitar
Benn
Josi
Subban
Ellis
Giroux
Hedman
Tarasenko
Kuznetsov
+ more

...may also have more or equivalent value even as older players.

This is why I laugh whenever people purport that McAvoy is a top-5 asset in the NHL. If you wouldn’t trade him for some of these players, that’s fine, but I think the opposite is also likely true for fans of the other teams. He isn’t some surefire future Norris winner.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
This is why I think McAvoy is overrated, even while being really good.

Players with similar or greater value, factoring in age, contract status (McAvoy likely to get ~7-8M+ next year), projected ability, etc. off the top of my head:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews
Hall
Scheifele
Jones

Seguin
Eichel
Barkov
Barzal -
Provorov - Toss up for me. RHD is extremely weak after McAvoy and Carlo and LHD is loaded in the Bs system, so I may say no.
Marner
Point
Forsberg
Dahlin - See Prov
Laine - Toss up again, winger and I'm not as high on him as others.
Aho
Pettersson
Gaudreau
Svechnikov
Heiskanen
Rantanen
Dubois
Hischier
Keller
M. Tkachuk
Werenski
Chabot

Additionally, all of...

Crosby - Yes
Malkin - Maybe - 32 years old making 10 mill a year.
Karlsson
Burns
Kane
Ovechkin - See Malkin
Kucherov - YES
Doughty
Pietrangelo - RIGHT on the age gap for me, I'd need to think about it.
Marchand
Bergeron
Kopitar
Benn - YES
Josi
Subban
Ellis
Giroux
Hedman - YES
Tarasenko
Kuznetsov
+ more

...may also have more or equivalent value even as older players.

This is why I laugh whenever people purport that McAvoy is a top-5 asset in the NHL. If you wouldn’t trade him for some of these players, that’s fine, but I think the opposite is also likely true for fans of the other teams. He isn’t some surefire future Norris winner.

.....I said "players I'd trade McAvoy for," not "hes a top five asset in the NHL." The way the Bruins are structured now they need young high end defensemen to usher in the post-Chara days. They also need young centers, but not at the expense of McAvoy. After McAvoy and Carlo they have nothing on the right side, but they're loaded on the left side in the minors (and in the NHL with Krug and Grizz). Wings are fine for now with Pasta, Marchand and Debrusk plus Heinen/Donato coming along. Theres no need to trade McAvoy ( an organizational weakness) for a wing (except for a player like Kuch).

I bolded players I'd trade McAvoy for right now if they were offered. They're all under 30 for obvious reasons except for Crosby. Some players are currently BETTER than McAvoy right now, like Doughty, but to me the player McAvoy is traded for needs to be in their early to mid 20s, a proven top pairing D man, or a franchise altering forward (in their early to mid twenties, except for some exceptions).

With the exception of McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/Mackinnon I think McAvoy has as high an upside as anyone in your "similar age" category. Seth Jones is a star so I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

The veteran list is where I suspect I'll get the most criticism, but why would I trade a young top pairing D man for a 30+ year old forward on inflated contracts? Doesn't seem very prudent from a organizational perspective.

I count 10-15 players I'd potentially trade McAvoy for. So 2-3 hands worth of players. After thinking some more about it maybe I'd add more/take people off of that list.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->