Were Reebok edge jerseys a mistake?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hated the idea then and i still don't like it

i preferred the old "baggier" look of the 90s with CCM and koho

Slick Willy*

CCM Center Ice's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ANYTHING since or before.

Eggbeater

Jul 4, 2007
I've got to agree with a few others in here that I really like the fit of the EDGE jerseys, but with the older designs. The materials also improve the appearance. The Canadiens jersey has never looked better. It's shinier and sharper than it's ever been. I'm really liking the return to the retros that are popping up as well, such as the Blues or the Penguins. The rounded apron bottoms bothered me at first, but they look fine if there's horizontal lining there.

After these, I wouldn't be able to stand the old parachute jerseys at all, even if it meant that the idiotic vertical piping would disappear forever.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I understand nostalgia, but if you take off the 'everything-old-is-better' glasses it's pretty clear that the slimmer fit and lighter material looks better than the old design. Look at players who have worn both--they look like they are wearing tents in their old photos

Yzlamic Preacher*

Why are people *****ing about the design of the Jersey? Reebok doesn't design the look of the jersey, that is developed by the team. If you hate the design, blame your team not Reebok.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
It was a great idea; new materials entered the game for the first time in 10+ years. Teams were encouraged to actually innovate and try something new.

Why are people *****ing about the design of the Jersey? Reebok doesn't design the look of the jersey, that is developed by the team. If you hate the design, blame your team not Reebok.

Quit making sense.:sarcasm:

HOLDITHERE*

I don't mind the change at all. I think it's just one of those things people complain about because any change is bad.

For the Caps, we now have the nicest jerseys we've ever had. So of course it's a positive change.

Dallas, while wasting years on the "Dallas" warm-up jerseys, also have incredible edge jerseys.

You can't blame the jersey template, you blame the designer per team.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The slim fit looks good, it just took a while to get used to.
It could be worse, like those faux laces Nike claim improves performance we saw during the Olympics. I really hope they don't win the next contract bid that go in next season, because we'd never see real laces again. I'd actually like to see what Under Armour could do with a jersey.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

From what I recall, the designs were a collaboration between Reebok and certain teams. Some had more input than others, and as we saw gradually with time, the lack of popularity of the Edge redesigns led to many teams to abort the abominations that came out of that collaboration.

Just look at how unpopular those terrible Oilers and Panthers Edge uniforms were. In addition to that, I also recall the Rangers having some issues early on with the Edge uniforms and having to constantly have the material changed.

On top of all that, there is also the mess Reebok created in the retail market with their Indo-Edge authentic jerseys, which are made in Indonesia, and then the actual authentic uniforms that are made in Canada.

Over time, more and more teams went towards a more traditional design as it's been proven (financially) that those tend to be more popular than a sloppy looking, disjointed redesign. Just look at how popular the latest Pens throwbacks are now as opposed to their Edge jerseys.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the change over to the reebok edge jerseys made the already extremely boring ducks jerseys even worse. the "anaheim ducks" lettering on the front became barely visible

and then you have the red wings who were forced to put their C and A patches on the right side due to the new design

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
wish they'd sign with Nike. Love what they're doing with Nfl and NCAA uniforms.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
As many others have mentioned, no, they're not a mistake in terms of material and fit (slimmer is better) but yes in terms of the designs - some of those Edge jerseys are hideous (Pens' current home and aways, I'm looking at you). So glad many teams have shifted away from those original Edge jersey designs!

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I like the Edge jerseys. The problem when they first came out was that there was only a handful of templates. So you had a lot of jerseys look the same.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I like the Edge jerseys. The problem when they first came out was that there was only a handful of templates. So you had a lot of jerseys look the same.

Agreed, the jersey was nice but the templates and limitations resulted in a lot of bad looking jerseys. Fortunately over time many teams have addressed things (like St. Louis and Edmonton) and the jerseys are looking pretty good now. I wouldn't want to go back and I prefer them to the Nike Swift and other competing designs. For fans, the slimmer fit is also nice as you don't feel like you're wearing a tent. Thumbs up from me.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The Edge jerseys themselves are great. I own a Tarasenko authentic Edge 2.0 and it is amazing.

However, the generic piping that a lot of teams got at the beginning wasn't so great.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I like them now that we ditched the original design.

The Oilers practice jerseys with the half stripe on near the elbows was just brutal.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Love the Leafs Jersey. One of the best we have had!

The current Leaf jerseys are good since they brought back the bottom stripes and shoulder patches(same as the 90's design),but the original Reebok edge ones they released were bland junk that just looked like T shirts. Worst jerseys the leafs have had, especially the whites.

images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad