GDT: We're playing the Habs tonight apparently. 7pm MT on SNW

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To bring our grand total up to 2!

They need to bring out the blender for this team.

That Monahan line is stale, he's slumping hard and being a waste of minutes.
3M line is dominating possession, but they're not an offensive threat most nights.
The 3rd line's been great, but they're still not puck dominant by any means.
4th line is garbage; see what a good 4th line looks like tonight.

They have the pieces.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They need to bring out the blender for this team.

That Monahan line is stale, he's slumping hard and being a waste of minutes.
3M line is dominating possession, but they're not an offensive threat most nights.
The 3rd line's been great, but they're still not puck dominant by any means.
4th line is garbage; see what a good 4th line looks like tonight.

They have the pieces.

There is no real competition on the team...No energy

Everyone has a job even if they suck

Reactions: Cyrano

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That was a pretty gross loss. Ultimately the difference was depth. With Bart/Brouwer/Stajan/Freddie our depth was non-existent. If those had been Andersson/Mangiapane/Dube/Jagr it'd have been another story. Getting momentum back after depth guys piss it away is not easy when the opponent is playing well, and credit to the Habs as that is probably the best game they will play all season.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
We've got our work cut out for us after Christmas. Have a nice time but come back ready to bust hump.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas everyone!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
They have the pieces.
Been the story all season. We have everything we need to be up there in the division but we're always let down by our coaching, our players lack of finish or both.

At this rate, I'd honestly be floored if we made the playoffs. Vegas and the Kings have a spot all but locked up, the Sharks are no slouch and Anaheim is gonna start feasting on teams when their stars come back from injury.

To hit 97 points this season, we have to go 27-15-4 the rest of the way (.587 win percentage; we are literally playing .500 hockey right now). Does this team really have it in them to only lose 15 more regulation games when we've already lost 15, five games before the halfway mark of the season?

The pessimist in me says they're not gonna do it two years in a row. Get a new coaching staff and have them learn "the system" so that they might be ready for next October when the season actually starts

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We need one more solid scoring threat up front.

giphy.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That was a pretty gross loss. Ultimately the difference was depth. With Bart/Brouwer/Stajan/Freddie our depth was non-existent. If those had been Andersson/Mangiapane/Dube/Jagr it'd have been another story. Getting momentum back after depth guys piss it away is not easy when the opponent is playing well, and credit to the Habs as that is probably the best game they will play all season.

How much did our depth remind you of last year?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
You might have to remind me when did we dominate the Leafs, last i checked we mustered one regulation goal against Andersen

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This team needs a shakeup, but I doubt it happens.

Technically, it's a bunch of unmotivated softies. They cant get up for the Oilers games or easy home games for godsake.

But you cant trade the whole team so only solution is to get rid of GG and his world class special team coaching....(yeah, yeah i know he is not the special team coach but he is the head coach and the buck stop at the top)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I donno. This group of players tends to play better as the season goes along. It’s like they are ready to be pros post Christmas.

I think we are going to start winning lots of games soon.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You might have to remind me when did we dominate the Leafs, last i checked we mustered one regulation goal against Andersen
Right, so our analysis is entirely results-based, so if the Flames had managed to score on that chance in the last minute and tie the game against the Habs, all would have been forgiven, right? And it would have completely changed the storyline about Gulutzan?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t know, this is just like what flavour of the month it is. 20 years ago it was all about defence, trapping and shutting down offences. 10 years ago, it was about implementing offensive systems, and using “big” players that could wear down other teams over a 7 game series. Now it’s all about possession and generating offensive chances (shot attempts). The players are not robots, statistics matter but at some point the players need to play beyond their expectations if you’re a contender, it’s never going to just be about the system and guaranteeing results over a specified period of time. A good head coach in my opinion will always need to be an excellent motivator and push players beyond their limits, especially in a cap system. You need guys like Hathaway and Ferland to come from out of nowhere and have 20 goal seasons. You need players to be willing to go through a wall, sure you need structure but that can’t be the only area of focus.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
. 20 years ago it was all about defence, trapping and shutting down offences. 10 years ago, it was about implementing offensive systems, and using “big” players that could wear down other teams over a 7 game series. Now it’s all about possession and generating offensive chances (shot attempts).

I would argue that all of those were ends to the same mean (outchancing the opposition). The last one is just more explicit. Give good players more oportunities than their opposition and results will follow. "Flavour of the month/year/decade" will be dictated by league trends and rule sets, but at its core systems have never won the big one, not even the Devils would have won wihout Stevens, Brodeur, and Neidermayer.

I'll say this though: our 5v5 play on average is right where it needs to be. We score as many goals as we give up despite the team having been snakebitten.

If special teams were more dangerous it'd be a different story. Talking about structure or grit or whatever is pointless if you can't score a power play goal or get a penalty kill stop. That was true under Bob Hartley and it's true under Glen Gulutzan.

Not playing scrubs like Bartkowski would also do wonders but personnel is not on coaching staff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->