We're not really the "youngest" team

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
We're not a young team ala NYI/Columbus/ or especially edmonton.

Edmonton's main core is 18-22, very much in it's developmental stage.

We have a core that is largely in it's mid-twenties entering it's prime, with the exception being maybe Reilly. Gardiner, Kadri, Frattin etc. are all about to get going.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

We have a core that is largely in it's mid-twenties entering it's prime, with the exception being maybe Reilly. Gardiner, Kadri, Frattin etc. are all about to get going.

Good post.

Personally I am not overly interested in having a young team or the youngest team. I want a good team, a team that keeps developing and a team that have some skill and a lot of commitment and hard work as their brand. The ages of the players is secondary really.
It is not about having the best players, the most talented young players or the most decorated veterans. It is about having a collection of players on the team and in the system who fit together and pull in the same direction. Team USA did not have the best players in the latest WJC but they still won and deserved to do so. LA Kings, Boston and Chicago had good teams but not the most skilled teams but they where deep, hardworking and had a lot of character and leaders on their rosters. When I look at the prospects we have and also some on the current team I see a lot of these traits and, speaking of our prospects, they might take some time before they can do them self justice in the NHL but when they do we will have a very competitive team.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Gardiner and Kadri are both only 22. Same as Schultz and Eberle. Hall is like 6 months younger. Rielly and Yakupov are obviously in and about the same age.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It remains to be seen whether this youngish group has upside to get significantly better. Most 22 year olds in the league will never develop into the player a 34 year old Joe Thornton is, and a young bad team will never develop into a winner.

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011
I definitely qualify as a fan based on this definition. I've always watched the Leafs far more than a normal person for years and years and years. Now the past 8 years have been particularly awful but I am still sticking with it because I know there's not a worse GM/combo out there than Brian Burke/Wilson and we can only improve with that in mind.

There's things to be happy with but more to be unhappy with but that is in the past (Burke/Wilson's fault) and I am very happy we have a more patient GM at the helm right now.

you qualify as a scab-fan obsessed by the team he hates/loves...you can't commit one way or the other......conflicted much???

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
this is a VERY young team and it's only going to get younger. Orr, Steckel, Liles, Connolly are all 30 or older and all have a good chance of being gone before next year replaced by younger guys

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
this is a VERY young team and it's only going to get younger. Orr, Steckel, Liles, Connolly are all 30 or older and all have a good chance of being gone before next year replaced by younger guys

But everyone else will be a year older... :laugh:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Gardiner and Kadri are both only 22. Same as Schultz and Eberle. Hall is like 6 months younger. Rielly and Yakupov are obviously in and about the same age.

Gardiner and Kadri aren't our core, they're complimentary pieces(although you could argue for gardiner).

Edmonton however solely relies on 18-22 year olds for it's top scoring.

based on reliance, Kessel(25), Lupul(29), Phaneuf(27) Grabo(29) and JVR(23) would be considered our 'core'(maybe Gardiner on top of that) with Reilly soon being the next guy.

I mean you could argue in multiple ways who's our core, I'm simply stating Edmonton heavily relies on a young group of 18-23 year olds for scoring and playing the most minutes, while we rely or are about to rely on a bunch of mid-twenty year olds who are entering their prime.

Edmonton is a few years away from blossoming, while we have guys that are largely seasoned.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gardiner and Kadri aren't our core, they're complimentary pieces(although you could argue for gardiner).

Edmonton however solely relies on 18-22 year olds for it's top scoring.

based on reliance, Kessel(25), Lupul(29), Phaneuf(27) Grabo(29) and JVR(23) would be considered our 'core'(maybe Gardiner on top of that) with Reilly soon being the next guy.

I mean you could argue in multiple ways who's our core, I'm simply stating Edmonton heavily relies on a young group of 18-23 year olds for scoring and playing the most minutes, while we rely or are about to rely on a bunch of mid-twenty year olds who are entering their prime.

Edmonton is a few years away from blossoming, while we have guys that are largely seasoned.

If Kadri turns into a ppg C, he's not part of our core? If that's the case, in a couple years, Kadri is likely more valuable to this team's success than Grabo, and maybe even Lupul and JVR.

I would say he and Gardiner are both definitely part of the core.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If Kadri turns into a ppg C, he's not part of our core? If that's the case, in a couple years, Kadri is likely more valuable to this team's success than Grabo, and maybe even Lupul or JVR.

I would say he and Gardiner are both definitely part of the core.

It's arguable right now. It's hard to really define CORE.

Yes both could easily become part of it if they reach potential, as of now they still need to develop more to become the main parts of this team.

Really glad kadri is keeping his production up, proving the haters wrong.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think one of the real reasons why the Leafs have been one of the youngest teams is because they've lacked those 3rd/4th line veteran forwards or 3rd line veteran dmen.

The Leafs pick up 29 year old jay mcclement, 28 year old (at the time) Colton Orr, 28 year old Colby Armstrong or 25 year old Cody Franson and etcetera.

Other teams would regularly pick up 30+ players to fill those roles.

I think a better way of measuring average age would be to check top 6 forwards, top 4 dmen and starting goalie.

Emroc

Sep 15, 2008
It'd be interesting to see where we rank in terms of NHL experience. That should be the real measure of a team's 'youth'.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
This seems more of difference of development paths at least with Edmonton.

They are taking their young high draft picks and putting them into the NHL right away. Developing them there. I would be worried about cronic injuries down the road.

Toronto who doesn't have the high picks, not to their level. Have chosen to develop their players in the minors to allow them the opportunity to succeed. To do this you must sign UFA to fill the roles in the meantime which is a huge no no on these boards it seems.

The waiver pick up of McLaren is another sign of this. Our fourth line isn't good but none of our potential "enforcer" prospects are even close right now. This is McLaren's tryout for Orr's spot.

Two different philosophies, I like the Leafs better. It would be better if we had a few top draft picks to go with it though.

Last edited:

DaveT83*

They are taking their young high draft picks and putting them into the NHL right away. Developing them there. I would be worried about cronic injuries down the road.

Toronto who doesn't have the high picks, not to their level. Have chosen to develop their players in the minors to allow them the opportunity to succeed. To do this you must sign UFA to fill the roles in the meantime which is a huge no no on these boards it seems.

The waiver pick up of McClaren is another sign of this. Our fourth line isn't good but none of our potential "enforcer" prospects are even close right now. This is McClaren's tryout for Orr's spot.

Two different philosophies, I like the Leafs better. It would be better if we had a few top draft picks to go with it though.

Good Post. I agree. It really begs the question what was Burke thinking?

What I do like about EDM's philosophy similar to Chicagos previously - is these players are all developing toghether - chemistry for lack of a better word.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

The waiver pick up of McClaren is another sign of this. Our fourth line isn't good but none of our potential "enforcer" prospects are even close right now. This is McClaren's tryout for Orr's spot.

You don't draft and groom enforcers, their the easiest player to obtain.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Good Post. I agree. It really begs the question what was Burke thinking?

What I do like about EDM's philosophy similar to Chicagos previously - is these players are all developing toghether - chemistry for lack of a better word.

I disagree. Hawks tried to build a team who could go deep in the playoffs almost every season but had a "rotten" core and collapsed and thus got those high picks. Oilers failed on purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad