Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Early Bisons game to get me through the day. What on earth is this Syracuse team: Rajai Davis, Carlos Gomez, Adeiny Hech are 1,2,3 in their lineup, and Timmy Tebow hitting 9th for fun.

Is it televised anywhere?

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
So, do we think vlad's in for drury?

I would be surprised to see them give up on Drury so soon. It’s not a perfect comparison, but if you look at Grichuk last April, it was dreadful and they (rightfully) stuck with him and he’s been a nice piece for us. I think Drury plays 3rd on days they DH Vlad, and with Gurriel Jr demoted (for now anyway) I suspect Drury would receive the bulk of the 2B reps and perhaps even some LF time. More knowledgeable posters may have reasons why I’m wrong, but just my thoughts at first glance.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
I wouldnt forget Jansen either. Could be a top 5 offensive catcher, his bat is a weapon and he looks to be breaking out of his slump.

Agreed, I'd say he's also a pretty important piece to have a good year and establish an MLB career. Fingers crossed!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I would be surprised to see them give up on Drury so soon. It’s not a perfect comparison, but if you look at Grichuk last April, it was dreadful and they (rightfully) stuck with him and he’s been a nice piece for us. I think Drury plays 3rd on days they DH Vlad, and with Gurriel Jr demoted (for now anyway) I suspect Drury would receive the bulk of the 2B reps and perhaps even some LF time. More knowledgeable posters may have reasons why I’m wrong, but just my thoughts at first glance.

Completely agree. I'm not that high on Drury, but he's coming around and there's no sense giving up on him this soon. I think it's more likely they just demote Urena again or DFA Hansen.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I agree on Drury too. He is turning it around;

First 14 games: 56 PAs - 7 hits (2 XBH) - 42.9% K and 3.6% BB, .152 wOBA and -14 wRC+, .233 BABIP - 2BBs to 24Ks
Last 7 games: 29 PAs - 8 hits (5 XBH) - 27.6% K and 6.9% BB, .426 wOBA and 172 wRC+, .375 BABIP - 2BBs to 8Ks

Spray chart and fly ball rate has been almost identical over the season, he is just making harder contact and his line drive rate has gone from 23% to 33% and obviously his ground ball rate has gone from 40% to 28%. That helps.

Hard contact went from 33% to 56% and soft from 20% to 11%.

All of this isnt sustainable at all but he is turning a corner to come back to his career averages. Similar to pretty much everyone else except Galvis - long story short unlike what some thought the 2019 Toronto Blue Jays isnt the worst offense in the world/MLB history that we saw in the first 2 weeks of the season. So far only 3 regulars have a wRC+ over 100 (Smoak, Tellez and Galvis). I suspect Grichuk to join that group soon. Drury, Jansen,and Hernandez should at some point in the season maybe McKinney too. I guess a 100 wRC+ floor for Vladdy shouldnt be out of the question. This is a league average lineup at worst by the end of the season if healthy.

Over the last 14 days the Jays have had the 9th best wRC+ and have scored the 7th most runs in the span.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I hope the Vlad Jr. call-up is announced soon so the hype and anticipation can build to a fever pitch. If the intention is for Friday, hopefully it is done today so a good 48 hours can be spent on it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
With our injury luck I really hope the Jays trade Stroman as soon as his value is at its peak and a good offer is available.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
With our injury luck I really hope the Jays trade Stroman as soon as his value is at its peak and a good offer is available.
The Jays need to lock up Stro ASAP

He's an ace that wants to be here and reps the city/country like no other foreign player. The Jays are going to need pitching when all their hitting prospects are here.

Finger nails, yes, trade him at peak value but even he made his bed when he switched to Boras.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
The Jays need to lock up Stro ASAP

He's an ace that wants to be here and reps the city/country like no other foreign player. The Jays are going to need pitching when all their hitting prospects are here.

Finger nails, yes, trade him at peak value but even he made his bed when he switched to Boras.

Never really understood the idea that he reps Toronto. He definitely panders, but to say he genuinely likes it is probably a stretch. He himself said liking Toronto is "unnatural"

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Never really understood the idea that he reps Toronto. He definitely panders, but to say he genuinely likes it is probably a stretch. He himself said liking Toronto is "unnatural"
Liking Toronto as a U.S player is always going to feel unnatural. A lot of Americans are misinformed regarding Canada or simply don't care much for the country.

I've had the chance to meet the guy and have a conversation and he definitely does love the city.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Afternoon game for Buffalo:

Vlad 2-5 1hr 1rbi
Biggio 3-4 1hr 3rbi 1bb
Gurriel 3-5 1r 1rbi

Meanwhile, in Lansing, Lopez is scuffling a little bit but Groshans (3-5, HR) and Kirk (2-4, 2B, HR, BB) continue to absolutely demolish A-ball pitching.

Kirk's up to 75 PA with an OPS over 1.000. 6 doubles, 3 HR, 14 BB... and 4 (FOUR!) Ks. That's ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->