Blue Jays Discussion: The 3B hero the Blue Jays need: Drury hits walk-off HR! (oh and some kid played too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So if he was bad does that mean management gets praise without knowing what they did with the IFA money?

The initial muted response would be appropriate in that case.

And if you held at $42 but the stock ended up at $36, you dont have the opportunity to sell at $42 anymore and maybe you have no buyers. They weighed all these factors.

Fair enough. Though you may well be overvaluing expiring IFA money.

One that cant be truly supported until we know Merryweather will be out of action until the end of May so your alternative may not be an alternative just more revisionist history.

Sure. Let's wait and see. When Merryweather is named a probable starter, which he indeed has a chance of being given the injury situation now, and the date is prior to May 27th, I'll happily eat crow.

And even more evidence that he may not be an MLB player.

I don't agree at all. Far more evidence that Smith has a shot at being a MLB player than Brito, as an example. A (117 wRC+, .353 wOBA), A+ (134 wRC+, .375 wOBA), AA (109 wRC+, .337 wOBA), AAA (114 wRC+, .341 wOBA).

Span put up 3 fWAR in his aged 24 season and 4 fWAR in his aged 25 season. Smith is turning 27 in October and is getting his first full season this year. He has a lot to do to stay an MLB player let alone becoming a 3-4 WAR player.

And Ben Zobrist did not produce positive fWAR until he was 27. Let's not go down this rabbit hole.

It doesnt disallow you from anything. Im just calling your criticism what it is today which is irrational to use a very small sample size. In the end we know what your true position is now and we can evaluate it when we have a big enough sample size to make a proper determination.

I have, at no time during this conversation, written an irrational or illogical thought.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm completely aware that I'm just nitpicking here, but Span with average corner defense (which is what Smith offers) instead of average CF defense is... pretty meh. Not that I have any problem with that - finding cheap, league average-ish guys is a huge part of what the Jays are trying to do right now - but it's not quite the 3-4 WAR player Span was for a few years.

Fair enough.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
it's too bad that Pillar's homecoming falls on the same night that both the Raptors and Leafs are playing important games. No one will be there to give him a well deserved standing ovation.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The initial muted response would be appropriate in that case.

Why, its a legit point. You want to criticize based on their evaluation and the fact that Smith has had a good 90 PAs. Im asking if Smith had a bad 90 PAs would you have the reverse thoughts?

Fair enough. Though you may well be overvaluing expiring IFA money.

I am if it isnt used but they still have time to use it hence why im willing to wait until July 1st before saying the trade was a win or loss and even then we may not have a definitive answer.

I don't agree at all. Far more evidence that Smith has a shot at being a MLB player than Brito, as an example. A (117 wRC+, .353 wOBA), A+ (134 wRC+, .375 wOBA), AA (109 wRC+, .337 wOBA), AAA (114 wRC+, .341 wOBA).

That isnt the point at all; you said you see Span potential, i said i COULD see AAAA potential (could be better). Has nothing to do with Brito.

I agree he looks better than Brito. But Brito wasnt an option on March 8th, the trade of Smith wasnt made to make room for Brito. The plan is to see if they can get anything out of Brito; if they can great and if not then they have the guy that was already ahead of Smith on the depth chart in Alford waiting in AAA.

Based on what we saw on opening day the plan was to move Pillar and call up Alford. Since then Brito became available so they are trying him out to see if there is anything if not maybe Alford is up soon. Same goes for Hanson, i would prefer to see others on this team over him but they are taking a flier (neither here nor there).

And Ben Zobrist did not produce positive fWAR until he was 27. Let's not go down this rabbit hole.

Has nothing to do with Zobrist or late bloomers. I am nitpicking your comparison here. All im saying is i dont see Span at all because Span accomplished so much more at a younger age. I see boom or bust in Smith; imo i think he could either be an MLB starter (1-2 WAR) or not in the league in a few years.... my likeliest scenario is a 4th OFer.

I have, at no time during this conversation, written an irrational or illogical thought.

Judging a trade on 90 PAs aka small sample size seems very irrational and illogical and not like you at all.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Why, its a legit point. You want to criticize based on their evaluation and the fact that Smith has had a good 90 PAs. Im asking if Smith had a bad 90 PAs would you have the reverse thoughts?

I answered you. ??

I am if it isnt used but they still have time to use it hence why im willing to wait until July 1st before saying the trade was a win or loss and even then we may not have a definitive answer.

Who are the prospects you're interested in?

That isnt the point at all; you said you see Span potential, i said i COULD see AAAA potential (could be better). Has nothing to do with Brito.

No, you're spinning now. We should stop here unless you can have a good faith argument.

Has nothing to do with Zobrist or late bloomers. I am nitpicking your comparison here. All im saying is i dont see Span at all because Span accomplished so much more at a younger age. I see boom or bust in Smith; imo i think he could either be an MLB starter (1-2 WAR) or not in the league in a few years.... my likeliest scenario is a 4th OFer.

This much is clear.

Judging a trade on 90 PAs aka small sample size seems very irrational and illogical and not like you at all.

Though that's not what I am doing, whatsoever, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Similar to how I am entitled to mine.

I've seen you take these arguments on for days, and I think its best if we stopped here, respectfully. Let's revisit at the next milestone (Merryweather's first start and\or May 27th, whichever comes first).

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Bisons are going to lose thier top two reasons that people were buying tickets in the span of a week.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I answered you. ??

Who are the prospects you're interested in?

No, you're spinning now. We should stop here unless you can have a good faith argument.

This much is clear.

Though that's not what I am doing, whatsoever, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Similar to how I am entitled to mine.

I've seen you take these arguments on for days, and I think its best if we stopped here, respectfully. Let's revisit at the next milestone (Merryweather's first start and\or May 27th, whichever comes first).

Which do you want? Continue to take jabs at me and revisit or actual have me answer your questions? Because it seems very illogical to ask me a question of which prospects interest me then ask for the conversation to stop.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'll have this game on my laptop while watching the leafs game tonight. I just have to see Pillar make his return.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
He’s looking good. Taking more walks compared to last year. Just needs to lower his k rate a bit. When he connected though, the ball is crushed.

If Tellez turns into a real slugger, this year will have already been close to a success for me. The Vlad, Bo, Tellez trio would be a murderer's row

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
If Tellez turns into a real slugger, this year will have already been close to a success for me. The Vlad, Bo, Tellez trio would be a murderer's row

and hopefully following them down the road will be biggio later this year and conine/clemens in a year or 2 sure will be nice to have a lefties and righties in the line up instead of 8 righties and the odd lefty

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I wouldnt forget Jansen either. Could be a top 5 offensive catcher, his bat is a weapon and he looks to be breaking out of his slump.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Early Bisons game to get me through the day. What on earth is this Syracuse team: Rajai Davis, Carlos Gomez, Adeiny Hech are 1,2,3 in their lineup, and Timmy Tebow hitting 9th for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad