We're In! - Playoffs Spot Secured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Montreal's win tonight guarantees us a spot in the playoffs even if we go 0-6 down the stretch (source). We're pretty much guaranteed to meet Tampa.

Leafs on the other hand need to go 5-0-1 to have a 64.3% chance or 6-0 to have a 84.3% chance.

Hope the Habs finish strong and reach 100 points on the season. Going 3-2-1 down the stretch will get us there.

Time to rest (or reduce minutes) some of the vets like Markov and Gionta and make sure we're fresh and healthy come playoffs

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
3 points.

So a win against TB tuesday with a WSH(9th-seeded team) loss and we're in. Habs have now 93 points, WSH can only max out to 96 points with winning all their remaning games.

If WSH loses their next 2 games we're in, even with a loss to TB Tuesday.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The caps can still get 96 points if they win all their games.... I guess in order for that to happen, they have to beat some teams within that wild card cluster?

I thought the magic number was 3 but I did not take into account any h2h scenarios within that cluster

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
3 points.

So a win against TB tuesday with a WSH(9th-seeded team) loss and we're in. Habs have 93 points, WSH can only max out to 96 points with winning all their remaning games.

If WSH loses their next 2 games we're in, even with a loss to TB Tuesday.

We're in now - look at the calculator I posted in the source. It has us listed at 99.8% with 0-6 finish

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
if wsh win out they get 96 pts. columbus can have 98. unless they play one another 2 or three times i cant see how its 100% yet.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I was figuring for team to make playoffs in east this year you would need about 93 points. We're in but don't want to finish dead last it would mean we a struggling into playoffs. Hoping they reach 100 points.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We're in now - look at the calculator I posted in the source. It has us listed at 99.8% with 0-6 finish

99.8% is not good enough to get an "x" beside the name. That means there is one scenario out of 500 outcomes that can go against Montreal.

I'm a superstitious guy, so let's leave it at that

Last edited:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Even if we pull off a massive choke and somehow miss the playoffs, it would certainly mean a new coach next season, so its win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
The only team that we have to beat to secure a playoff spot is Detroit. Colombus, Washington and NJ can do whatever they want.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
It is pretty obvious, aside from a total break down and 3-4 teams having stellar runs, that MTL will make the playoffs. No X next to us, so it isn't mathematically certain, but in the next 4-5 days we will have it. It is almost impossible for that 1% chance to occur, but I don't think we will need it. We will get at least 2-3 more points this season, and other teams will lose potential points, so I am expecting us to make it. The only thing left is where we will end up. Home ice would be nice. There are no real weak opponents, so match-ups don't really matter. The only real important element is that we enter the playoffs with some momentum. I like the way Vanek is integrating in the team, and Price seems to be finding his zone. When we get some players back, we should be in good standings. Also, I wouldn't mind if we got Beaulieu up for some games, and see if he can be relied on, as I could see him as a player that could help us, and a player that needs this type of development time. I don't think the Habs will do it, though. But one can always wish.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Habs are in. You guys just don't understand the concept of probability.

They have to go 0-6 and even then, they'd still have like 99.9% chance of being in.

The numbers are getting astronomically small. They can't miss.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Not sure if home ice is a good thing for the Habs. I'm thinking it gets pretty crazy around Montreal in the playoffs and might be better to start on the road.
It's still better to have the line-change advantage I would say.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
C'mon guys, we're, that's a given a we will likely face Tampa Bay in the first round. Now, all I want is that we try for home ice.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Umm I think they have to win the next game to clinch it but honestly it doesn't matter. They're in now and it's gonna be Tampa.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Year 2 of MB's 5 year plan. Both years ended in the playoffs and is the team is getting incrementally better.

Successful so far.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Habs are in. You guys just don't understand the concept of probability.

They have to go 0-6 and even then, they'd still have like 99.9% chance of being in.

The numbers are getting astronomically small. They can't miss.

humans have a hard time dealing with numbers.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Next time; Take a deep breath and ask a mod via PM to close a thread instead of whining in it.

OP: We'll wait until the little X is beside the team name before re-opening this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad