We're guaranteed a relatively fresh new WC champion

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is by WC standards a new blood Final Four. No Argentina/Brazil/Germany/Spain. The usual big boys are long gone! None of the eternal goliaths.

France- yes, I know they won in '98 and made a Final in '06, but they had only gotten this far three other times (1958-1982-1986), so it's not like Germany getting out of the first round every year until this year since '38. Plus, throw in their 2002 and 2010 disasters and it's not like they're a death and taxes WC reliable year after year. They are the most decorated recent team left, but they aren't exactly an all-time WC power.

Belgium- Only other semifinal was 1986.

Croatia- Only other semifinal was 1998.

England- They've only gotten to the WC Semifinals twice until this year- 1966 and 1990! The quarterfinals had usually been their high point.

Kinda feels like what had happened in the NHL's Final Four this year with only Tampa Bay having a title, but that had been a long time ago by today's standards.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nothing against France, I don't consider 1998 and 2000 trophies that old. Plus, with a final run two years ago, I consider it expected of this group of players to reach a final or win something. They are simply too good.

I do think they will be the ones to win as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd say France is a power in the WC since 82.
6 semi finals (including two finals) in the last 10 WC is nothing to sneeze at.
In that time they've also won 2 EC and reached one final.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'd say France is a power in the WC since 82.
6 semi finals (including two finals) in the last 10 WC is nothing to sneeze at.
In that time they've also won 2 EC and reached one final.
I agree with that, with the little exception of 1990. But overall they are certainly no stranger to late knock out stages.
Late 50s was quite good too.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ginola just needed to hold on to that ball in the final moments vs Bulgaria...

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'll be a bit dissapointed if France wins this tournament, just because I want to see a more unconventional winner. They have a very bright future ahead of them and will have plenty of time to win other big tournaments.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ginola just needed to hold on to that ball in the final moments vs Bulgaria...
Yeah, but I hate the notion he's responsible for it. No french player managed to make a cynical foul in midfield. They were full of themselves.
Also, we lost qualification by Houiller having champagne ready in the lockerroom in the previous game at home against Israel. A game Ginola almost won IIRC, while others choked.

Houiller is the real responsible for the 93 crushing blow because of his arrogance.

That said, it served as a mighty wake up call and the ensuing success probably had its root in those defeats.

Reactions: koyvoo

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
They already should have won in 2016, so it's never easy and suddenly the players notice that they're in their 30's like Messi (or Platini from France's past) and realise that they haven't won anything.

With the the history of all kinds of controversies surrounding the French team, they'll never have a better chance than this, with all the big teams dropping out like flies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, France has to seize that opportunity. Sure, they might get other chances in the future, but you never know.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
First time in history that one of Brazil, Germany, or Argentina are not in the final 4. Spain not being there not really that new. They had their period of dominance with the back to back EUROs and Wc 2010, but they are not a historical giant, and were obviously terrible in Brazil.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
First time in history that one of Brazil, Germany, or Argentina are not in the final 4. Spain not being there not really that new. They had their period of dominance with the back to back EUROs and Wc 2010, but they are not a historical giant, and were obviously terrible in Brazil.
Spain is now a powerhouse and will be for a long time. They're development is as good as anyone's. the pipeline is bursting with new talent. More trophies are on the horizon.

He'll they would've probably won or at least be in the finals if not for Madrid sabotaging them.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Spain is now a powerhouse and will be for a long time. They're development is as good as anyone's. the pipeline is bursting with new talent. More trophies are on the horizon.

He'll they would've probably won or at least be in the finals if not for Madrid sabotaging them.

Oh I agree, but based on history I don't find it that surprising to not see them in the top 4. They are definitely in the process of creating a new history though.

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah I consider France in the Argentina/Spain/Brazil/Germany tier myself

The other three a tier lower and ranking them is debatable.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
France is definitely a power house, and coming into the tournament they probably had the most balanced squad of anyone.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be fun to watch. France/England is my pick right now for the World Cup. Be fitting for France to win it given it has been 20 yrs. since their last World Cup.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
France were just in the Euro 2016 final, made it fairly far in the 2014 and 2006 WC's as well. It would be anti-climatic if they won now since they're the best team left on paper anyways.

Plus, it's so much more fun to see them implode than to win.

France is definitely a power house, and coming into the tournament they probably had the most balanced squad of anyone.

German team was better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
German team was better.

Based on form they sure weren't. Had no idea what German fans were seeing in that team other than past glory. Entire midfield + Ozil and Muller were not in good form. Hummels wasn't in good form either and they had no LB. The midfield particularly did not complement each other.

That being said I did think they would make the SF, because much like England currently, that side of the tournament was weak.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I might be the only one thinking that but I do believe that England are going to be good for a couple more tournaments.

Their team is relatively young and the u18 and u20 are also filled with top talents.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I might be the only one thinking that but I do believe that England are going to be good for a couple more tournaments.

Their team is relatively young and the u18 and u20 are also filled with top talents.
Doubtful.

They have yet to face a side that is a real power house. Well Belgium maybe and they lost. Credit to them for beating those in front of them though. However, it's likely that this world cup is an anomaly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think it's fair to say England has hopes for the future given their youth results. But the key will be that those youngsters develop well, with playing time.
We'll see how that unfolds.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

In what way are you the only one to think this? Many people have said the exact same, and I fully agree with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->