Post-Game Talk: "WE'RE GOING TO BOSTON BABY!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I remember when the Babcock-led wings won the cup - specifically, I was sitting with a Red Wings fan whom said that Babcock loved his role players - I cant' remember all of them (pls. excuse accuracy) but guys like McCarty were critical to their success.

I don't know what role player means anymore - I think iit meant players relegated down the depth chart that ultimately resulted in less playing playing time and less involvement in critical parts of the game;

I'd be interested in knowing playing time for the team as I suspect that it's relatively even except for special teams; in which case, I'd suspect that players like Brown aren't role players anymore but rather just interchangeable parts on a cycling lineup.

A lot of fans like the flash and dash players, but its the meat and potato players that are just as important to a teams success.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Babcock's foot soldiers Brown and Hyman have been excellent contributors to Leafs success to date.

They were doing there job well. I wish Babcock would stop trying to pair them with our offensive talent though. As 3rd line players and PKers they are fantastic.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I’ve read that Backes was not getting a penalty on the elbow to Freddie’s head, so why was there a whistle?
I watch the NBC broadcast and I’m pretty sure they said there was a penalty before Polak went after him. I thought I saw the refs hand go up?

Anyone have a pic or video?
He didn't get a penalty for the elbow on Andy which is a joke lol...

I assume they blew the whistle because they saw Andersen down.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/game/boston-bruins-toronto-maple-leafs-20180423
01:53BostonDavid Backes - Roughing - 2 minutes
01:53TorontoRoman Polak - Roughing - 2 minutes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: 1specter

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In my opinion, we desperately need production from:

Kadri
Matthews
Nylander
Kapanen

Those are 4 guys who have had tons of chances but very little to show for it. Nylander had a great game yesterday, I hope he can repeat it.

Reactions: PromisedLand

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He didn't get a penalty for the elbow on Andy which is a joke lol...

I assume they blew the whistle because they saw Andersen down.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/game/boston-bruins-toronto-maple-leafs-20180423
01:53BostonDavid Backes - Roughing - 2 minutes
01:53TorontoRoman Polak - Roughing - 2 minutes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

His hand went up before Polak went after Backes. He was definitely getting an interference call. If he saw the elbow I don't know how he stays in the game.

But the ref then forgot he originally called it and didn't give him 4 minutes. The kind of dumb error that cannot happen in the playoffs.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
His hand definitely went up but I think it was just for goaltender interference, not an elbow. If the ref saw the elbow Backes wouldn't have stayed in the game.

BUUUUUT the problem here is that the official call on the game sheet is that Backes was only called for Roughing against Roman Polak, and the goaltender interference call magically disappeared. Backes should have had 4 minutes. He was lucky enough not to get ejected for an elbow to the head. The Leafs were robbed of a power play because the official completely screwed up.

I don't know how Boston keeps getting those kind of breaks but they have to be the luckiest team I've ever seen in that aspect. It's mind blowing.

The roughing call was weird. NBC were a little stunned too.

ETA: Backes should have received 2 for goalie interference and 2 for roughing

Reactions: supermann_98

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
What an outrageous call. Haven't seen a delay of game for something so non intentional ever...

Yeah that line between deflection and delay of game is pretty grey in the case of Marners penalty. It sucks, but could you imagine the mess it would cause if that was left up to the ref to make a judgement call on? Yeesh.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I’ve read that Backes was not getting a penalty on the elbow to Freddie’s head, so why was there a whistle?
I watch the NBC broadcast and I’m pretty sure they said there was a penalty before Polak went after him. I thought I saw the refs hand go up?

Anyone have a pic or video?
refs arm went up when Andersen rolled onto his belly. Penalties called were roughing to both players.

Reactions: iSophagus

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Man, I love Johnsson and Kapanen on this team so much. I know people seem overzealous by immediately penciling in Marlie guys, but seriously, you see the speed and skill they add to this team and it's hard not to get excited about the future of this team's core. Both deserve to play in the top 6. Both I can see as 30 goal scorers with their tools too.

I've found myself more than once getting excited for next years line up when they will get fulltime spots (that are not just the 4th line) .. then I have to remind myself this season is NOT over!

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Leafs down 3-1, we battle back to tie the series. Game 7 at Boston. This seems eerily familiar.

CAN WE REWRITE HISTORY????????

Buckle up, tomorrow is going to be intense, nail biter, a roller coaster of emotions!!!!

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In my opinion, we desperately need production from:

Kadri
Matthews
Nylander
Kapanen

Those are 4 guys who have had tons of chances but very little to show for it. Nylander had a great game yesterday, I hope he can repeat it.

I think Matthews is probably injured and has been asked to “shut down” the opposition along with Plekanec, who has been fantastic.

Nylander, AJ and Kadri are the real keys to game 7 in my opinion. They drew “sheltered” minutes last night. They won’t get the big assignments in game 7. And that kind of explosive offensive power needs to explode under those circumstances.

Hoping that Kadri isn’t hurt though. He didn’t play a second after 13:16 of the 3rd. Which is quite frankly weird.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
The Marleau interference was one of the weakest interferences the whole game, just watch from the 1:00 point in this clip:

HUGE dive, and Backes skated right into Marleau instead of going for the puck.

karma for the bruins for JVR's non-interference call, krug swiping away kapanen's stick on the ice and backes' elbow on andersen

Reactions: PromisedLand

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Rask: history of not coming up big in big games ?
True ?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Rick Nash - 6GP 1G 0A 1PTS -3
Cost to acquire: Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, 1st 2018, 7th 2018

Tomas Plekanec - 6GP 2G 2A 4PTS +2
Cost to acquire: Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev, 2nd 2018

Rick Nash is not a has been, he's a never was!

Reactions: DanM

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What if Nash played with Marner?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

This is kinda wonderful. Seeing the Bruins give up future assets for this guy, amazing. I don't want any young assets going the Bruins way, I want them to get old and fade away, they had their time lol

Plus we still have our first rounder in the draft....I like it!

Reactions: 81Leafs50

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
A lot of fans like the flash and dash players, but its the meat and potato players that are just as important to a teams success.
Interesting - Would Komorov be considered part of the meat and potato players? Because he's suddenly healthy and Babs has a decision to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad