GDT: We're Back! Boston Bruins vs. NY Rangers Part II ‎

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
One thing I thought was interesting was that while the b's did play great, bergy and kels lines were relatively invisible

Can't imagine what this team will look like completely firing on all cylinders

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Loved the fact that on all 3 goals, the B`s either had guys driving to the net or guys who had established position, and didn`t move from that position. Way too often last season they would establish net presence, then the shot came in and they would slide to the side giving the goalie a perfect view. Great job with that yesterday

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In terms of attention to detail, of forwards covering for d, and forwards getting to the boards that game was probably betterthan any game last season...very solid stuff. Edit as for needs one good winger and one good d man. Hamilton may be good enough at d even now but I wouldn't want to risk it and I want true depth. Unfortunately even with Savard's on Ltir, they are once again in a place where they can only get one of those things-if that-financially. They didn't really do anything substantial last year but if Rask delivers, and Hamilton progresses, they might use the exemption for reals this time.

Not worried too much as of right now, Chia`s shown, he and his staff are more than adept at recognizing what this team needs and they`ll do what they have to, doesn`t mean that every move works but....

One game doesn`t make the year for Dougie but the beauty of this team and the system they employ, it is exceptionally defense friendly and the vets the kid gets to learn from.....I`d put up against any in the true leadership category and Julien has proven, with young players, he will not put them into situations he feels they aren`t ready for.

Have to tell ya, another sign that Julien is far more receptive to change or swaying from his old ways, to see DH out there already on the PP was nice.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Have to tell ya, another sign that Julien is far more receptive to change or swaying from his old ways, to see DH out there already on the PP was nice.

I agree. I was pretty shocked. I hope he keeps it up! Change is good sometimes. Happy to see Clode take a chance and the kid looks comfortable out there to boot!

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Overall a great game.

liked Krejci's speed,moved well, very involved.

Rask was good, wasn't really challenged.

Hamilton looked as if he was playing in his 100th game. Solid but nothing special(which is great considering it was his first game)

Chara,Seides and Boychuk had really strong games.

I liked the PP.
Pervs and Kelly had good games. Bourque seems to not like the dirty areas,the ranger goal was his fault.

Merlot line proving yesterday that it still may be the best 4th line in the nhl.

good fights by both sugar and soup.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
hate him on the ice but off he is a great kid- I'd take him on Boston on the bottom 6

I take Campbell and Kelly over him any day. He's just another big body, I think. Campbell can fight and center; Kelly is way more agile and speedy with a better shot.

Last edited:

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Maybe this was discussed somewhere already, but my perception by the end of the game was that Rask was pretty well protected by the D, and I don't mean that disparagingly regarding Rask and him having an easy game. I'm not even coming near that statement because I don't believe it.

What I mean to point out is how in the past there was always the perception, whether real or not, that the team played better in front of Timmy. Last night, at least for a sample of one game, that was clearly not the case. The team seemed to play quite relaxed with Rask in net.

Shots on goal were definitely lopsided in the B's favor, 21-34. Rask saw a third fewer shots than Lundqvist. Team defense was ON last night.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Hamilton earned it, he did not look out of place at all IMO

Kid will be a stud

Think it will take Seguin a few games to get going again

Agreed, I think Seguin took to the bigger ice surface in Europe like a duck to water and it's just going to be a bit of adjustment to the smaller rinks again.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
If the Bruins play like that against the Jets with a far worse goalie, D core that does not have 5 top 4 dmen, I like our chances.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
I thought Seguin was fine. If he scored on the breakaway, I doubt anyone would be critical of his performance. He's still not great along the boards, but showed tremendous hustle on the back check and willingness to get in there. No complaints from me.

The weakest link on that line was Marchand, which is to be expected given his lack of play.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Definitely one of the better games with the Rangers in the last few years. Typically it's a 1-0 chess match with 30 total shots, and 300 blocks. Bruins offense was flying for the majority of the evening.

The OT loss last year (when Ference took the bad penalty) was one of the best games I've ever watched. Despite the hype about the Nucks game, I thought that was by far the game of the year.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Agreed, I think Seguin took to the bigger ice surface in Europe like a duck to water and it's just going to be a bit of adjustment to the smaller rinks again.

i think the ice is smaller in swizterland... i could be wrong...

personally i think boychuk was the main reason nash was shut down... every time he had the puck boychuck layed a hit on him... loved it...

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Good start for the B's. If it wasn't for Lundqvist, it could have been 5 or 6-1.

8spokesontheB

Cry Havoc!
Dec 24, 2008
Very impressed with Hamilton. I just expected him to try to not do anything wrong...but he was confident..moved the puck well...very poised...very exciting.

I agree whole-heartedly. Dharma-bumming around down here in Mexico I wasn´t able to see any of DOUG (seriously, you can´t call a man DougIE his whole life, can you?) really before tonight and I like what I see. He did a lot of things that would have pleased me if he´d been a seasoned NHL´er acquired from another team. Having guys like Z and Johnny B. and Seidenblitz around to teach him a thing or two won´t hurt at all. Who knows, maybe he´ll even pick up some of that Ference ´stay away from my team-mate!´ stuff.

Great game. You´re all wrong about why we won, though....it was me and my hoodoo, getting the students to shout ¨LET´S GO BRUINS!¨ roundabouts 3 hours before game-time. Yes. It was all thanks to me.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I agree whole-heartedly. Dharma-bumming around down here in Mexico I wasn´t able to see any of DOUG (seriously, you can´t call a man DougIE his whole life, can you?) really before tonight and I like what I see. He did a lot of things that would have pleased me if he´d been a seasoned NHL´er acquired from another team. Having guys like Z and Johnny B. and Seidenblitz around to teach him a thing or two won´t hurt at all. Who knows, maybe he´ll even pick up some of that Ference ´stay away from my team-mate!´ stuff.

Great game. You´re all wrong about why we won, though....it was me and my hoodoo, getting the students to shout ¨LET´S GO BRUINS!¨ roundabouts 3 hours before game-time. Yes. It was all thanks to me.

In hockey, he could be called Dougie until he's 90.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
What an atmosphere last night. It's good to be back.

I was pleasantly surprised at how together they looked. Not even close to the sloppy hockey I was expecting.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So happy my guys Daniel Paille & Johnny Boychuk each got a goal last night. :yo:

Am checking the original GDT to see the reaction when #20 scored, I'm sure everyone was shocked :laugh::laugh:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Hamilton earned it, he did not look out of place at all IMO

Kid will be a stud

Think it will take Seguin a few games to get going again

Agreed. I mean, he more or less played a few months in what some could consider a 'no hit league'. He himself stated that that fact helped him be successful over there.

Not to mention that the Rangers are a tough team through and through. It's not surprising that our depth and secondary guys are what mostly got us through that game (save for the first goal). Rangers have the guys necessary to shut a line or two down. But what's great about the Bruins is that their 3rd pairing and bottom 6 will burn and/or wear you down if you don't focus on them too.

That and Henrik played a great game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Overall a great game.

liked Krejci's speed,moved well, very involved.

Rask was good, wasn't really challenged.

Hamilton looked as if he was playing in his 100th game. Solid but nothing special(which is great considering it was his first game)

Chara,Seides and Boychuk had really strong games.

I liked the PP.
Pervs and Kelly had good games. Bourque seems to not like the dirty areas,the ranger goal was his fault.

Merlot line proving yesterday that it still may be the best 4th line in the nhl.

good fights by both sugar and soup.

I could be one of DK`s harshest critics but it`s only because THAT is the way I know he can play more consistently, and when he does play like that, I`ll never hesitate to give him the thumbs up, and after last night`s game, it was a thumbs up performance indeed, as you stated, moved well and that`s the key for me with him.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
I thought Seguin was fine. If he scored on the breakaway, I doubt anyone would be critical of his performance. He's still not great along the boards, but showed tremendous hustle on the back check and willingness to get in there. No complaints from me.

The weakest link on that line was Marchand, which is to be expected given his lack of play.

Seguin also had a great takeaway which led to said breakaway that was very Bergeron-esque. I just can't agree with those saying he was invisible or bad. I mean.. he's not going to get on the score sheet every game as much as we'd like that

Marchand wasn't too bad I thought. He has a habit of trying to do a little too much with the puck instead of making the safe play (either dumping it or dropping it back to a D).. he also tends to try and force passes to his line mates when they are completely and totally covered.. and while Bergeron and Seguin are talented guys, it's hard to receive a pass when guys are draped all over them :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad