Blue Jays Discussion: We're back, baby. Blue Jays clinch 2020 playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
And just like that Charlie Montoyo will win AL Manager of the year.

tumblr_n7rqaizTcA1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Reactions: kb and xxOCZMSxx

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So everyone? Whats your best lineup for Tuesday.

I think the best lineup to face Snell is probably today's lineup with Panik instead of Villar.

Where it gets interesting is if the Jays make it past 2 games and Tellez comes back healthy against a right-handed SP.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Vs. Snell I'm assuming.

Biggio - 5
Bichette - 6
Hernandez - 9
Gurriel Jr. - 7
Guerrero Jr. - 3
Grichuk - 8
Kirk - DH
Villar - 4
Jansen - 2
I actually don’t hate this lineup. Finally Panik and Shaw are where they belong...on the bench. Would be nice to have rowdy back as well if possible.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
People keeping saying "the Jays wouldn't have been a playoff team over 162 games."

Eh...I'm not really sure that's the case if 8 teams would have made it anyways.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So you’re prepared to drop six or seven years on Kirk? Unless you’re buying out FA years, the benefits of an early contract are much less.
If he costs a bit more down the road, that means that he’s playing well and that’s good.
There’s no cap, so the need to lock up young talent is much less IMO.
That's exactly the point of doing it. :rolleyes:

Why would you give a guy guaranteed money without getting anything in return?

No need to lock up young talent? Lol

It's called cost certainty, and literally every team in baseball tries to do it if they can. The Rays signed Evan Longoria before he even played a single game. The end result was one of the most valuable contracts in baseball for years, buying out free agent years in his prime for cheap.

The White Sox have done the same with Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert. The Phillies with Scott Kingery, the Mariners with Evan White.

That's how smart teams generate surplus value. You need multiple surplus value contracts on your team to win unless you're the Dodgers. Cleveland has a bunch of preemptive contract extensions like that, as do the Braves, and previously the Astros. You must be new to baseball if you don't realize this is standard operating procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad