We're at the 1/4 mark...

Tanevian*

The Devils have had more playoff success the last few years than most teams even though Borduer hasn't been the same goalie so I'm not sure they are the best example.

Until we are an eastern team I think it's apt enough. The Devils wouldn't make the playoffs in the West.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
A concern for me is Tortorella's overuse of some players. This isn't a team full of kids, running older players into the ground in October is just crazy. Sedins are in good shape and can play well for old guys, but riding them is a short term option.

Luongo looks slow. Is he sick or injured? Is he just slowing dramatically? It's an issue. It's affecting outcomes. If he doesn't improve, I don't think playoffs will be an issue.

I think Tortorella will figure out the powerplay. I like his approach to the game. I do not think he has the roster to do stuff with, though. Gillis failed to provide a PP QB in addition to being thin at center. That's impossible to overcome.

For this team to improve Tortorella must be given the pieces! It is time to make improvements. Let Tortorella do it. Gillis plainly can't! Move Gillis into a Burke-like position.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
A concern for me is Tortorella's overuse of some players. This isn't a team full of kids, running older players into the ground in October is just crazy. Sedins are in good shape and can play well for old guys, but riding them is a short term option.

Luongo looks slow. Is he sick or injured? Is he just slowing dramatically? It's an issue. It's affecting outcomes. If he doesn't improve, I don't think playoffs will be an issue.

I think Tortorella will figure out the powerplay. I like his approach to the game. I do not think he has the roster to do stuff with, though. Gillis failed to provide a PP QB in addition to being thin at center. That's impossible to overcome.

For this team to improve Tortorella must be given the pieces! It is time to make improvements. Let Tortorella do it. Gillis plainly can't! Move Gillis into a Burke-like position.

I think Lu is fine.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
It is time to make improvements. Let Tortorella do it. Gillis plainly can't! Move Gillis into a Burke-like position.

Like it was discussed in the scouting thread.

Gillis messed up. He focused too much on the QMJHL and making picks on loads of d-man

There's no trades or signings out there.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
A lot of it has been said, but in a nutshell - I love the effort, defensive awareness and accountability going on with this team right now. Breath of fresh air after some very consistent lethargic and passive play under Vigneault during his last two seasons.

Our offensive prowess (or lack thereof) is the biggest concern. The PP and a lack of overall offensive talent would be the biggest issues there, IMO. I think the PP can be addressed with work and practice (at least for the first unit), but the second one can't really be changed without a trade.
Sums up my thoughts as well. Not comfortable with what we have up front and PP is just abysmal.

Like the compete and aggressiveness of the group thus far.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Wait did you just suggest making Tortorella GM?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Like it was discussed in the scouting thread.

Gillis messed up. He focused too much on the QMJHL and making picks on loads of d-man

There's no trades or signings out there.

Not sure what you mean by this?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Not sure what you mean by this?

There are no significant trades or signings out there. Unless you're looking for Carlo Colaiacovo.

There's a salary cap, you need salaries of players from both teams to fit in their salary structure not only for this year but for years down the road.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Team needs to stay healthy. And be more effective on the powerplay. Improvement in these two categories would have us right at the top of the division right now.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Like:

- Without looking at the stats, we have to be one of the better 5 on 5 teams in the league.

- Our Dmen look excellent and whoever is playing the best saps minutes from whoever isn't.

- Penalty kill is excellent and has produced offensive chances.

- We change our lines around... we have some roster flexibility.

- Booth in the AHL.

- The Sedins look the best they ever have. Kesler too.

Dislike:

- Powerplay. WTF.

- While he has the track record to have earned faith, Luongo has not looked particularly good. I do like the look of Lack a lot though (and I love his poise with the puck... I didn't know Canuck goalies were allowed to have that).

I sincerely disagree with this... Not even close to 2010-2011 form, even though I understand the Sedins have slightly different role, they haven't created s many chances, and aren't finishing on nearly as many as they have in the past.

Kes has looked good, but still not his best.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Canucks have played 7 home games and 13 road games, so almost 2/3rd's of their schedule so far on the road and are still on pace for 98 points. They have a good homestand coming up which will even up the numbers.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
There are no significant trades or signings out there. Unless you're looking for Carlo Colaiacovo.

There's a salary cap, you need salaries of players from both teams to fit in their salary structure not only for this year but for years down the road.

I see. Almost thought you were supporting his suggestion of making Torts the GM which would be laughable.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Canucks have played 7 home games and 13 road games, so almost 2/3rd's of their schedule so far on the road and are still on pace for 98 points. They have a good homestand coming up which will even up the numbers.

Our home record is worse than our road record.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Until we are an eastern team I think it's apt enough. The Devils wouldn't make the playoffs in the West.

He said the Devils haven't sniffed a cup since Brodeur began his decline. I pointed out that they have gone to the finals and the conference finals since the last Olympics which is when Bordeur started to slide, imo.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
A new head coach with a completely different system and a difficult schedule thus far. On October 1, if you had told me the canucks would be at ~100 point pace I'd have been happy.

I still am. Yes some things need to change, but for the first time in almost 2 years I see a team that is working hard and seem to be having fun. I think that's a great first step and accomplishment for the first 20 games. Torts thus far has done his job. He's inspired the players. He hasn't played favourites. He's rewarded good play IMMEDIATELY. Everything I'd hoped. Gillis clearly had a pretty good summer given the cap constraints with some nice pickups. Now he needs to see what can be done about balancing the lineup a bit.

Tanevian*

He said the Devils haven't sniffed a cup since Brodeur began his decline. I pointed out that they have gone to the finals and the conference finals since the last Olympics which is when Bordeur started to slide, imo.

And I think the Canucks could take the East with a declining Luongo. The Devils would suck with their goaltending in the West.

Perhaps something has gotten lost in this. But I do not think the 2 situation are comparable because of the disparity in the conferences.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Sidenote, what would the asking price be on Derrick Brassard? Might be an interesting piece and he really succeeded under Torts last season.

Definitely posted this in the wrong thread hahaha, I need more coffee in the morning

Last edited:

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
The Good
  • John Tortorella - How he revamped the twins and gave us some jump in our step
  • Late comebacks - No more sitting on one goal leads, our team plays (usually) a full 60 minutes and battles hard from start to finish.
  • Ryan Stanton - Out of nowhere, this guy has been great for us, solid as a rock on D and knows his role on the team.
  • Kesler on the wing - Been tried before with no success, but it seems Torts has found a fit for Kesler on the wing with the Sedins.
  • Luongo - Played somewhat consistently, got through his usual rough October with a respectable record, getting more confident as the season continues
  • Sedins - Backbone of our success thus far, clicking like they did back in 2010.
  • Chris Tanev - The shot blocking machine, adjusted to Torts' gameplan beautifully and continues to be reliable and sturdy defensively
  • Alex Edler - After a horrendus season and a half, it seems Edler has come back to normal, still has a way to go, but he's getting there.
  • Mike Santorelli - guy has been nothing but spectacular since coming to Vancouver, for 550K he has been a steal, already won us 3 games alone and continues to ignite the team and in my opinion is the best "feel good" story for the Canucks since Alex Burrows.
The Meh
  • Dan Hamhuis - After a terrible start to the season, Hammer has begun to turn things around, but still needs work defensively.
  • Zack Kassian - After returning from his suspension, Kassian has looked solid, but still not elevating his game to where he could be.
  • Eddie Lack - He's been good, but not quite good enough to win us games.
  • Jason Garrison - After a hot start, Garrybomb has dissapeared offensively, could be the reason for our dismal powerplay as of late.
  • Scoring - We're winning, but usually by a slim margin, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's always nice to score more goals.
  • Alex Burrows - I know breaking your foot in the 1st game of the season isn't the best way to start your year, but Burrows hasn't gotten his timing back yet, and you can tell, although he looked better the other night, got a couple of apples.
  • Chris Higgins - Snakebitten at the start of the season, beginning to turn things around.
The Bad
  • Secondary Scoring - Although it's been better as of late, secondary scoring and depth are our two biggest holes thus far. Sure, Santorelli has been amazing, but he can't do it alone. Kassian, Weise, Richardson (although he's been okay), Dalpe, Welsh, Archibald, Burrows all need to chip in and score when the Sedins can't do it all themselves. Our defense was a huge part of our offense at the start of the year, and it's continued to help our scoring, but they can't be our secondary scoring. The depth players need to answer the bell and start to contibute more.
  • Injuries - whether it's shot blocking or not, Injuries have come left right and center so far. From Burrows to Schroeder (x2) to Hansen to Weise, this will wear us down by the time Playoffs are coming around the corner. I'm not saying we'll be dwindled down like we were in the 2011 Cup Run, but maybe some players should hold back a bit near the end of the season if we already got a playoff spot to recover from the bruises and prevent injury before the important part of the season comes.
  • Powerplay - Ever since Garrybomb went cold, our powerplay has frozen in it's tracks. Still don't know why Hammer is on the 1st unit, the line works much better when you have the Twins with Burrows up front with Kesler and Garrison on the point. I'd even swap Hammer for Edler or Bieksa, I just don't see what Hamhuis brings to the table on the PP, and could be the reason our PP isn't clicking right now and is at a dismal 9.7%.
  • David Booth - As usual, David Booth hasn't been able to find his stride, and I seriously thought Booth was gone once he got sent down to Utica. If he doesn't make something happen soon and play like we pay him, I think Booth's days in Vancouver are nearing it's end.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Like:

The number of potential goals saved by Chris Tanev's shot blocks

Dislike:

The number of goals given up by Chris Tanev's botched shot blocks

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
+
Torts if nothing else is a beauty and I love his honesty in interviews
Edler
Sedins with kelser
Santorelli
Stanton
Lack

-
burrows (not a big concern but I think he needs to start picking it up and being a leader)
Booth (obvious)

And oh yeah, I think Luongo has been solid. Everyone always focus on the goals he lets in rather than the saves he makes. People need to accept hes not the best in the world anymore, and possibly not even "elite" but he is a good goalie. How can so many people bash a guy who is likely the best goalie in Canada? If hes the biggest thing we have to complain about we are in good shape

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->