Confirmed with Link: Wennberg on waivers for purpose of buyout

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The move also clears roughly $4.5 million in salary-cap space for Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen, who is trying to upgrade the club’s forwards. Kekäläinen has already completed one trade, acquiring center Max Domi from Montreal on Tuesday, but he isn’t finished yet.
Also, free agency opens on Friday, and there are several players available who could add firepower to the Blue Jackets lineup. The team is looking for a left winger to play in its top six or a third-line center who would allow Boone Jenner to return to left wing.
The Blue Jackets are expected to make a pitch on Friday to former Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall, who won’t be re-signing with Arizona. Columbus couldn’t possibly fit Hall under the salary cap — or many of the other prominent UFAs, for that matter — without cutting ties with Wennberg.

Blue Jackets to buy out remaining three years on Alexander Wennberg’s contract
Blue Jackets to buy out remaining three years on Alexander Wennberg's contract

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Just a quick question. What's Wennberg all about? Is he a solid 3C? Is he good defensively? What's his playstyle like? I'm just curious.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just a quick question. What's Wennberg all about? Is he a solid 3C? Is he good defensively? What's his playstyle like? I'm just curious.
The easiest way to sum him up is "third defenseman". He had a period in which he was producing like gangbusters and we were all sure he was going to be our #2C or even our #1C. But then his already rare willingness to shoot vanished, and he became a lot more tentative with the puck after a Tom Wilson cheapshot. So nowadays he acts more like a positionally sound defenseman than an offense-driving center. He's pretty good at that job, and he's ceased shying away from contact, and there are brief moments when it looks like he could be that badass scorer again, but he never really sustains it.

If you're looking for a bruiser or a pure shutdown guy... that's not him. But if you don't mind a more "two-way" style of defensive play, he does surprisingly well. He's just not worth just shy of $5M, and we were able to drop his cap hit down to half of the NHL minimum salary, so it was an unavoidable opportunity. If we could have negotiated his salary down, I'd have kept him.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Pretty good defensively, from a positional standpoint, not really from a checking/“lockdown” standpoint. Good, not great, skater. Pretty good vision and great passing skill. Ok puck carrying skill. His shot’s probably about average, maybe slightly below, but the biggest issue is he barely ever uses it; a “pass-first” player to a fault. That and he’s now largely a “perimeter” player - particularly after a bad hit to the head from Tom Wilson a few years ago - are what I think most in the fanbase would say are his two biggest weaknesses. Used to be awful at faceoffs but has improved there.

He’s a “solid” 3C, probably worth $2-2.5 M. I think $3M AAV is an overpay, but could theoretically be justifiable. Anything more than that is too much, and that’s why we bought him out. If he was making even $3M instead of $5M, we almost certainly would’ve kept him.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
To think we paid Vegas to take Wild Bill instead of Anderson, all because everyone thought Wennberg was a slam dunk 2C... man I'm so sad it came to this. The injury really screwed him over. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad