Wendel Clark - All Heart

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I remember the hope we had when Clarkson got signed.

Damn shame everyone ran him out of town. He was the closest thing we had to Clark in ages!

I would take a prime Clarkson over Nylander any day!

Kadri and Clarkson were Gilmore-Clark reincarnated.

Now instead all we have are soft players like Marner and Nylander!

I was one of the very few lucky Leafs fan who saw a David Clarkson goal on home ice live, a breakaway goal no less!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wendel Clark was such a man's man that not only did he refuse to grow long hair like some divas on our team, he actually forced his hair to stop growing.....

That's my man right there.....

Wendel had flow.

tspa_0038869f.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Unfortunately, they don't really build hockey players like this anymore. I doubt parents putting their kids through $50 K per year hockey academies are envisioning that kind of beast.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The reason I mentioned Claude Lemieux in that post is because they traded Clark and eventually got Claude Lemieux in return.
Claude Lemieux since you don’t remember won the Stanley Cup as well as the Conn Smythe trophy with the NJ Devils. Claude Lemieux went on to win another Stanley Cup with Colorado.
So Yes I consider a 3x Stanley Cup winner and 1x Conn Smythe trophy winner a better player than Wendel Clark.
Seems you know very little about hockey outside the Leafs.

Seems your a poor judge of hockey players in general.Having the good fortune to be on a cup winning team does not make said player automatically better than every other player.(not what you said,but you did imply that's why you like Claude better than Wendel. If that is the scope of your vision,then I doubt you are capable of a proper discussion. Did you even see Wendel play? I will say that,I think the majority of those who saw them both play would choose Wendel. I get it is a preference thing,each had different tools,different integrity levels,but It's been said (Joe Sakic,for one) thatWendel made his team-mates feel safer(therefore play better) in a very tough era. Claude....not so much.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Unfortunately, they don't really build hockey players like this anymore. I doubt parents putting their kids through $50 K per year hockey academies are envisioning that kind of beast.
They definitely don't want their lads playing against that kind of player!On the same team perhaps? Sure,but the League isn't promoting that 'style' of player anymore.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They definitely don't want their lads playing against that kind of player!On the same team perhaps? Sure,but the League isn't promoting that 'style' of player anymore.

Gotta admit it would be fun to watch a team of Young Wendel's taking down a bunch of USNTDP brats.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Gotta admit it would be fun to watch a team of Young Wendel's taking down a bunch of USNTDP brats.
I can't even think of a present day player that has shown what Wendel did. Imagine a Leaf rookie at 18 in todays game,hitting every thing that moved,fighting all comers,scaring goalies with a wrist shot and scorin' 30 plus goals with over 200 pim.I doubt we ever see that again.

Reactions: Cams

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Haven’t watched this video is a long time, but it’s a favourite. I’m sure most of us older farts remember a lot of these clips, and the younger fans may not have seen them before...

Watching it now, with the team that we currently have, makes me long for a player like Wendel in his prime....

It was a different time and the game was played in a different way but the package this guy possessed was something else.

We could use us some Wendel..... :)

What a beauty and s beast!
Cheers! :cheers:

I honestly can’t like this enough and I’m a dinosaur and don’t care we won’t see this kind of player again

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The reason I mentioned Claude Lemieux in that post is because they traded Clark and eventually got Claude Lemieux in return.
Claude Lemieux since you don’t remember won the Stanley Cup as well as the Conn Smythe trophy with the NJ Devils. Claude Lemieux went on to win another Stanley Cup with Colorado.
So Yes I consider a 3x Stanley Cup winner and 1x Conn Smythe trophy winner a better player than Wendel Clark.
Seems you know very little about hockey outside the Leafs.

Guess you are one of those people who think Trent Dilfer was a great QB because he won a superbowl. Dan Marino never won one, but he was really good, and even better in Ace Ventura.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Note to self: once I get my "Like" capabilities back, I need to come back here and "Like" pretty much every post...........

Cheers all!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
here we go again.

back to the romanticizing how great it was when we sucked.

imagine Leaf fans acting this way about Gary Leeman.

Scored 30+ goals for 3 consecutive seasons including 1 50 goal season.
Fought as well.
but utter silence from leaf fans.
They don’t talk about him.
Or Ed Olczyk.

imagine Leaf fans romanticizing those god awful years in the mid to late 80’s.

thats exactly what you guys are doing with Clark.

it’s pretty SAD
Imagine someone shyting on a fan favorite.... cuz reasons! He might be the most popular Leaf of all time! And that bothers you,doesn't it? Why the hate? Why the concern about fans who saw him as something positive? I don't see anyone dissing the other players you mentioned,but feel free to start your own thread about those guys.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
He wasn't brittle, he got hurt because he took on players a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier than he was and most times won. Bob Pobert comes to mind and I'm sure many others.

Ah yes...the good ol' Norris division battles with Probert! As a Windsor based Leafs fan, these games were and that rivalry was something else to be watching as a fan! Lots of Wings fans around here and my friends included many Wings fans. Probert being a guy who was born and grew up in Windsor, playing for Detroit.... Probert's first game back in Canada after his drug conviction when he got beat by Wendel in the first fight, then he tried to take Wendel's knee out before they fought again!

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I named my cat that was born in 1987 Wendel, he died in 2004 which was the 1st bad season that the Leafs had after 5 strong seasons.

Nice...I had a cat named Wendel that just had to be put down about a year ago, he was about 14 yrs old......he follows his companion Tucker (who was a shit disturber of a cat even) who passed away about 1-1/2 years before that.

Reactions: hoglund

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It used to happen all the time 10+ years ago. I can't count the number of times in tournaments everyone would say so boy Caesar's or Minutemen were too skilled and would kill us. And after a few shifts you'd see how important playing hard on the body and as a team was. The more skilled and skating US teams started to get thrown off their game. and by 3rd period most of time they had given up. They just did not want to play that way. Their will was gone. But then we started changing the way we played too. and now we are losing more than winning playing a more skilled approach. We have too many of same type of guys too. To win a small ice game you have to make sure all 5 guys play really tight and you keep the puck in that area at all times. When opponent wants out of that type of game whoever it is must punish them. All 5 guys must do it and punish in a way to hurt legally not just get puck back. It is sad to watch our Leafs get stuck in that type of game vs Bruins. Our Leafs are constantly looking for ways to get to open ice. It is a fundamental shift. We will see if it will work. Right now it does not get the main prize but directionally this is the trend.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Ah yes...the good ol' Norris division battles with Probert! As a Windsor based Leafs fan, these games were and that rivalry was something else to be watching as a fan! Lots of Wings fans around here and my friends included many Wings fans. Probert being a guy who was born and grew up in Windsor, playing for Detroit.... Probert's first game back in Canada after his drug conviction when he got beat by Wendel in the first fight, then he tried to take Wendel's knee out before they fought again!

Classic stuff! A cocaine fueled Proby must have been a handful to manage. I'm sure he wasn't the only player into it ,but I think it contributed to him being the king for a long time.Must of been an odd predicament for Kocur ,watching his buddy and cousin duke it out!

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Our players nowadays see their teammates get headshot and throw their hands up at the referees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->