Wendel Clark - All Heart

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Haven’t watched this video is a long time, but it’s a favourite. I’m sure most of us older farts remember a lot of these clips, and the younger fans may not have seen them before...

Watching it now, with the team that we currently have, makes me long for a player like Wendel in his prime....

It was a different time and the game was played in a different way but the package this guy possessed was something else.

We could use us some Wendel..... :)

What a beauty and s beast!
Cheers! :cheers:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Wendel Clark was the epitome of a hockey player unfortunately he was also brittle as glass. Nobody had as much heart as him and I'm a Canucks fan. He bled blue for the Leafs class act.

Reactions: Al14

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He also had seasons where he was just plain playing hurt.
Hard to play that style at his size every night.

Reactions: Al14

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
That shot, those fists, that heart, that leadership, those clutch goals. Under "beauty" is a picture of Wendel.
He led by example. I can't think of any players, currently that have that same tool set.Would be a big pay day for that type of player today.I can remember Joe Sakic being asked how he liked having Wendel as a new team-mate on the Nords..."everyone plays like they are 6 inches taller now"or something to that effect.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I remember the hope we had when Clarkson got signed.

Damn shame everyone ran him out of town. He was the closest thing we had to Clark in ages!

I would take a prime Clarkson over Nylander any day!

Kadri and Clarkson were Gilmore-Clark reincarnated.

Now instead all we have are soft players like Marner and Nylander!

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Wendel Clark was the epitome of a hockey player unfortunately he was also brittle as glass. Nobody had as much heart as him and I'm a Canucks fan. He bled blue for the Leafs class act.
He was only "brittle" because of the way he played. When you play that hard every game, you're bound to get hurt often.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He was only "brittle" because of the way he played. When you play that hard every game, you're bound to get hurt often.

Especially at the size he was. He would routinely fight guys like Probert..I mean those guys had 30 pounds and 5 inches on him. And he wasnt afriad to go and smash little punks like Denis Savard either. But of course, we can't have such roughness now, its just not nice.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
here we go again.

back to the romanticizing how great it was when we sucked.

imagine Leaf fans acting this way about Gary Leeman.

Scored 30+ goals for 3 consecutive seasons including 1 50 goal season.
Fought as well.
but utter silence from leaf fans.
They don’t talk about him.
Or Ed Olczyk.

imagine Leaf fans romanticizing those god awful years in the mid to late 80’s.

thats exactly what you guys are doing with Clark.

it’s pretty SAD

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden of the North

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
can't imagine what Wendel thinks watching the current players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can also remember the 80's. Wendel would've given his left nut to play with the guys on our current roster.
No doubt, could you imagine these guys playing in the 80's though?
They'd all be in a ball in the corner of the room.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Now there is captain material. A guy who could skate, had skill, who could hit, who could fight and most important a team guy first and foremost. Every single time he stepped on the ice he did so to inflict damage. I remember a late summer rec game at Meadowvale Arena where he took a wrister on a 2 on 1 and it hit our goalie so hard it broke his facemask and cut him. After he turned around to wait to see if anyone wanted to go with him-no one did. He gave the guy and his girlfriend 2 amazing seats at the Gardens for the home opener that year. He went all out all the time. A true warrior with a great heart. We badly miss a guy with his leadership. I still can't believe he went toe to toe with McSorley but when someone went after one of his teammates it was war. Now this was last of the older day hockey but it is what is missing in todays game to some of us. We are lacking that heart. It is so hard to watch guys get run and we have zero response. It was missing huge in game 2 last year against da Bruins. All it takes is 1 man to stand up and everyone else plays 6 inches taller as per Sakic.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad