Recalled/Assigned: Welsh to Utica

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Now all I'm waiting for is news from Comets training camp. Has anyone been cut yet from Utica? I want to see if their roster is starting to take shape.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It'll be interesting to see what role he takes up, with other centers like Ferriero, Pelletier, Hamill, Mallet and Lain there.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Pardon my ignorance but I heard that Welsh is on a one-way deal this year as per some rando Canes fan. That true?

1 way deal and he counts for 100k cap hit even if he's in the minor i believe.

Not really surprised by this move but it does seem a bit strange we're carrying 8 dmans plus a NHL ready dman in Utica (so effectively 9 dmans). I wonder if this might be a move to buy time while MG tries to trade Albert (or another dman) for a pick.

It also means we better hope none of our forwards get hurt (short term/day to day type) in the first 5 games 'cause we don't have any roster spot to call up a forward.:laugh: Last thing i want is see Alberts trying to play forward... :laugh:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Not really surprised by this move but it does seem a bit strange we're carrying 8 dmans plus a NHL ready dman in Utica (so effectively 9 dmans). I wonder if this might be a move to buy time while MG tries to trade Albert (or another dman) for a pick.

It also means we better hope none of our forwards get hurt (short term/day to day type) in the first 5 games 'cause we don't have any roster spot to call up a forward.:laugh: Last thing i want is see Alberts trying to play forward... :laugh:

FWIW, I think Weber has filled in as a forward before.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
As per capgeek Welsh leaves us with no cap hit when he is in the AHL, likely because the AAV of his contract is only $850 000.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
As per capgeek Welsh leaves us with no cap hit when he is in the AHL, likely because the AAV of his contract is only $850 000.

Oh i was under the impression his 2 year deal wasn't AAV as the first year was 2 way and the second year was 1 way (i just assume the 2nd would be an extension after the first so 2 separate deals).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Jensen has bust written all over him. He was invisible in camp.

I at least noticed Hamill.

This is officially Jensen's rookie year in NA professional hockey so its kinda early to write him off. There's no doubt he's a project but he's a project with a lot of skill.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Good depth for Utica at least - can't have enough of it. Would be nice if we could have a team that can make it somewhat deep in the playoffs. Would be beneficial to our prospects.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Well it's a one-way (paid same at AHL or NHL level), 850k no matter what but since he's less than 925k he doesn't count against the cap at all (unlike JM Liles, who has IIRC a 3.9M cap hit so the Leafs will carry a 3M penalty to have him in the minors for a savings of 900k—bruuuutal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad